Pollution of Great Bay beaches

cardamon

I know I've asked this question before and it has been answered- but I'm hoping for an update. We will be in port in July and still trying to decide if we want to walk to Great Bay for the day or plan a trip to Orient Beach or Divi Resort because of the risk of pollution and irritation for my grandchildren. we are getting close, have to make a decision. Please advise! Do we need to worry about pollution?

Great Bay swimming advisory today.

This happens on purpose from time to time, and sometimes it is unplanned.

I believe there is still the other pollution flowing into Great Bay from the other side, the Rolandus canal.

th_P4230017.jpg

(click)

gary

Great Bay swimming advisory today.

This happens on purpose from time to time, and sometimes it is unplanned.

I believe there is still the other pollution flowing into Great Bay from the other side, the Rolandus canal.

th_P4230017.jpg

(click)

gary

Thank you Gary!! So this varies from day to day, but the canal continues to pollute? it is such a shame that this pollution continues to be a problem- it is so easy just to walk off the ship and enjoy the beach and town! Thank you for helping me make an informed decision!

We have been going to St Maarten for many decades (on both cruises and land vacations) and follow a basic strategy. If we simply want to soak up the sun on the beach....we have no problem heading to the Great Bay beach adjacent to Philipsburg. It is very convenient for cruisers that simply want to shop, eat and lounge in the nearby city. When we want to actually go swimming, we generally avoid Great Bay and head to beaches located elsewhere on the island. Our actual choice of beaches will depend on our mood, the wind/sea conditions, and where we want to go for lunch.

We have always had a feeling that there are certain groups on St Maarten who prefer to minimize the pollution situation in Great Bay. Conditions apparently change from day to day...although it has long been said that the pollution is at its worst after a few days of rain. Because the island has plenty of nice beaches with clean water...we figure...why take the chance.

Hank

The news this week seems to be that there is nothing new when it comes to the pollution issues at Great Bay.

No news is still important news in this case.

For me the last time that I swam there was 2006. A year before I heard about this issue. That is a long time for them to have the same issue!

Edited by Karysa

• 3 weeks later...
The news this week seems to be that there is nothing new when it comes to the pollution issues at Great Bay.

No news is still important news in this case.

For me the last time that I swam there was 2006. A year before I heard about this issue. That is a long time for them to have the same issue!

Thank you for the update! If you see any new update before 7/5 please post again. I think the advise in the previous post is the one we will follow- and that you Karysa have not been in Great bay since 2006! My grandchildren will want to swim so I think we will head for Divi Resort. My son bought an inflatable paddle board and can't wait to use it!

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for the update! If you see any new update before 7/5 please post again. I think the advise in the previous post is the one we will follow- and that you Karysa have not been in Great bay since 2006! My grandchildren will want to swim so I think we will head for Divi Resort. My son bought an inflatable paddle board and can't wait to use it!

I hope that you enjoyed your day, today, in St. Maarten and come back and post about Little Bay or what ever Beach you visited and also how the inflatable paddle board worked. :') That sounds like a fun and easy beach toy for a cruise. Many beaches do not have water sport rentals available so if this worked well it would be a "water toy" that would be a great purchase for many.

Regarding the Ongoing pollution at Great Bay beach, I think that over a decade is a very long time to have such an issue. It seems to me that an article or update is posted two or three times a year and every once in a while a cc member posts about seeing the brown sludgy water draining into the ocean. Rain is the enemy for this beach but how in the world is a cruiser suppose to know if it rained at that beach in the recent past. I guess that you could ask someone who rents the beach chairs but I'm not sure if you would get an honest answer. ;)

Edited by Karysa

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Little Bay, Mullet Bay Beach Or Simpson Bay beach on Dutchside

Orient, Pinel Island or Anse Marcel on French side

There are others but they are not great for cruisers as difficult to get to and limited facilities

Edited by Karysa

Thanks so much Karysa for your comments. Someone on the Celebrity board was just at Grand Case and really enjoyed the Rainbow Cafe. I had also considered Holland House for lunch but wouldn't swim there because of Great Bay pollution.

Is Grand Case still in recovery and not a good choice? Any lunch recommendations on the French side? I appreciate your help!!

On 1/26/2020 at 10:26 PM, flowery said:

Thanks so much Karysa for your comments. Someone on the Celebrity board was just at Grand Case and really enjoyed the Rainbow Cafe. I had also considered Holland House for lunch but wouldn't swim there because of Great Bay pollution.

Is Grand Case still in recovery and not a good choice? Any lunch recommendations on the French side? I appreciate your help!!

We went to Rainbow Cafe in August and enjoyed it very much. Keep an eye out regarding the unrest on the French side. Looks like it should be ok until mid March at least. Hopefully when the talks restart things will go better. If you just want lunch on the French side the Tropicana at the Marina Royale is a good choice. I also think Orient Beach and the village their is recovering nicely.