What makes 6 star cruise line

paul1439

Why isn't Azamara luxury cruise line?

Because it's a deluxe line. The only luxury cruise lines are Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, Crystal, Sea Dream and Hapag Lloyd. Now many will argue that Azamara or Viking or Oceania fit their bill of luxury and that is fine for them. But many say that a Hyatt is luxurious enough for them as is a top model Toyota. But Four Seasons and Mercedes Benz will argue that point.

According to the 2016 Berlitz Guide:

Azamara Journey (Europa 2):

Tonnage: 30277 (42830)

Total Cabins: 338 (258)

Entry Level Cabin: 151 (376.7)

(Sq.Ft)

Total Crew: 407 (370)

Passengers:676 (516)

Passenger Space Ratio: 42.7 (83.0)

Berlitz is one of the worst reviewers of cruise lines. Go to you tube and type in Berlitz cruise review. Berlitz rating guide on how they rate cruise ship is one of the most inaccurate rating system in the industry.

Berlitz is one of the worst reviewers of cruise lines. Go to you tube and type in Berlitz cruise review. Berlitz rating guide on how they rate cruise ship is one of the most inaccurate rating system in the industry.

My post had nothing to do with a Berlitz review.

Berlitz was quoting statistics re the Azamara Journey, and the Europa 2.

If those statistics are factually inaccurate then kindly post a link to a site that corrects them.

My post had nothing to do with a Berlitz review.

Berlitz was quoting statistics re the Azamara Journey, and the Europa 2.

If those statistics are factually inaccurate then kindly post a link to a site that corrects them.

youtube.com then type in search Berlitz cruise guide

For the record, former CEO, Frank Del Rio (now CEO of NCHL) said repeatedly that Oceania is not a luxury cruise line. The ships were built under his watch so he knows of what he speaks. Regent is Oceania's sister company and is luxury.

This is a very interesting thread:).......I am sailing Silversea for the very time in August and cannot wait:D.......sounds like

none of you ever sail mass market.......which is what I have been doing for many years and usually have a great time.

But I have the opportunity to step up and am taking it...........I am betting it will be wonderful but I cannot compare 6 star

vs 6 star......or 5 star, whatever stars.. ..LOL. I have not sailed them before.

For the record, former CEO, Frank Del Rio (now CEO of NCHL) said repeatedly that Oceania is not a luxury cruise line. The ships were built under his watch so he knows of what he speaks. Regent is Oceania's sister company and is luxury.

Oceania is upper premium. Oceania and Regent have very little market overlap.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by UPNYGuy

Because it's a deluxe line. The only luxury cruise lines are Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, Crystal, Sea Dream and Hapag Lloyd. Now many will argue that Azamara or Viking or Oceania fit their bill of luxury and that is fine for them. But many say that a Hyatt is luxurious enough for them as is a top model Toyota. But Four Seasons and Mercedes Benz will argue that point.

I was glad to see someone else bring the luxury car analogy up on here - specifically Mercedes Benz - if you drive a basic Kia and get in a M-B, you'll think it's definitely luxury. But if you're coming out of a Bentley or a Rolls, the M-B is going to feel cheap. It doesn't matter how many arbitrary stars that are assigned to the M-B by the manufacturer or the owners or the reviewers - it's as luxurious as it is, no more, no less. The PERCEPTION of luxury will vary based on someone's expectations.

Same with cruises - if you expect a certain level of luxury and don't get it, you won't think it's luxury whether you're on RCI or NCL or Regent or Crystal or whatever...

The whole 'luxury vs. ultra-luxury' or 'premium vs. deluxe vs. luxury' or 5.241 stars vs. 6 stars is completely academic. It has no bearing whatsoever on someone's satisfaction with their cruise. I know people who can take a tiny interior cabin on a floating city and have a great time, just as there are people who can take an upper level suite on a high-dollar cruise ship and be miserable.

Me, I'm gonna keep sailing on the lines I enjoy sailing until their service drops to where I don't feel like I'm getting the most of my vacation dollars. And guess what? Then I'll find another place to go. There will always be an alternative for me to spend my vacation bucks on.

• Like 1

While I "kind of" agree with Bill, IMO, cruise lines need to be advertised in a way to differentiate them from each other. If someone, for instance, thinks that if they pay the lower fares on Azamara or Oceania that they will have the same experience as if they booked Regent or Seabourn, they could be quite disappointed.

In terms of what I call the "big 4" luxury cruise lines (Regent, Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal), these cruise lines have long been in competition with each. They are not necessarily in competition with Oceania, Viking Ocean and Azamara and, unless Europa I/II makes inroads to North America, they are definitely not competition (not saying that it can't happen).

So, I find quite a few reasons why cruise lines need designations (not necessarily stars). Perhaps there can be luxury all-inclusive, luxury ala carte and the same kind of designations for premium plus. Lastly, IMO, river cruises should also have their own set of designations. This would make it so much easier for people to compare apples to apples rather than apples to giraffe's:halo:

• 3 weeks later...
Lastly, IMO, river cruises should also have their own set of designations. This would make it so much easier for people to compare apples to apples rather than apples to giraffe's:halo:

Aren't river cruises starting to head more this direction now with Crystal entering the market? I admit I haven't researched the Crystal river fleet enough to form an opinion. Viking is typically seen as the entry point for river cruising. AMA the mid point (from my understanding), and Crystal will be the luxury option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I disagree with your criteria. In fact, the only one of the four I think is true is the last two. The size of the ship is not the same as number of passengers........I think density and ratio of crew to passengers is more important than specific numbers. A ship of 700 passengers with a dearth of public space would not qualify as 6* in my opinion. Even a small number of passengers can be too crowded. As for suite level cabins as the smallest.....that could mean anything. Size may be important, but calling it s "suite" is meaningless. In fact, Silversea, which you listed, may call their entry accommodation a suite, but they're really not suites. Having a "seating area" does not make for a suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are misinformed about suites. There is not a cruise line in the world that has any cabins starting at 275 sq ft and doesn't call this size a suite and this doesn't include a veranda. Size is everything on a ship. Amount of passengers does mean everything because the ratio to passengers is always around 2 to 1 or less and these are your 6 star cruise lines.

You are misinformed about suites. There is not a cruise line in the world that has any cabins starting at 275 sq ft and doesn't call this size a suite and this doesn't include a veranda. Size is everything on a ship. Amount of passengers does mean everything because the ratio to passengers is always around 2 to 1 or less and these are your 6 star cruise lines.

They can call it whatever they want, but that doesn't make it true. Common is not the same as accurate.

As for passenger size, it doesn't mean everything -- as you said, passenger:crew ratio is what's important. A 600 passenger ship might not be a luxury experience with a low passenger:crew ratio, whereas a 900 passenger ship might have a lower cruise ratio and be a luxury ship.........For instance, the Pacific Princess has standard capacity of 688 but is not a luxury 6-star ship; even at it's max capacity of 826, it's still got a low number of passengers, a passenger:crew ratio of 1.78-2.2 and still isn't luxury. Ditto for the Prinsendam (HAL) that has a capacity of 835 and a passenger:crew ratio of 1.88. Still not 6-star luxury.

On the other hand, Crystal's Serenity has a capacity of over 1,000 passengers but a passenger:crew ratio of 1.63 and is consistently rated a luxury "6 star" ship and experience.

They can call it whatever they want, but that doesn't make it true. Common is not the same as accurate.

As for passenger size, it doesn't mean everything -- as you said, passenger:crew ratio is what's important. A 600 passenger ship might not be a luxury experience with a low passenger:crew ratio, whereas a 900 passenger ship might have a lower cruise ratio and be a luxury ship.........For instance, the Pacific Princess has standard capacity of 688 but is not a luxury 6-star ship; even at it's max capacity of 826, it's still got a low number of passengers, a passenger:crew ratio of 1.78-2.2 and still isn't luxury. Ditto for the Prinsendam (HAL) that has a capacity of 835 and a passenger:crew ratio of 1.88. Still not 6-star luxury.

On the other hand, Crystal's Serenity has a capacity of over 1,000 passengers but a passenger:crew ratio of 1.63 and is consistently rated a luxury "6 star" ship and experience.

Do not disagree but, IMO, Crystal is marginal (at the moment). They currently do not have "true" open seating and their cabins/suites are smaller than other "luxury" cruise lines. IMO, passenger/crew ratio also does not define a luxury cruise line!

Do not disagree but, IMO, Crystal is marginal (at the moment). They currently do not have "true" open seating and their cabins/suites are smaller than other "luxury" cruise lines. IMO, passenger/crew ratio also does not define a luxury cruise line!

I tend to agree, though it's more because of their small cabin sizes than their lack of open seating dining. Actually, I am dreading the introduction of open seating dining; I don't like it and, to me, it's not a luxury requirement. In fact, standing in line to be seated (as will almost assuredly happen at popular times) seems to me the antipathy of luxury. But that's what makes the definition of "luxury" so variable - there are no set standards. We each may have our own standards (as the OP does), but they don't transfer to other people.

This thread is what makes a six star cruise line. This is only one qualification for a six star cruise line there is three more qualifications that has to be meet. There has to be standards in the cruise industry to determine what is a 6, 51/2, 5 and so on. This system will also help families to make a decision on what cruise line to travel on. When choosing a cruise line it comes down to price, professional reviewers opinions and fellow travelers opinions. I believe there must be some type of standards when people use stars or luxury cruise terminology.

There has to be standards in the cruise industry to determine what is a 6, 51/2, 5 and so on. .

No, there really doesn't. No more than in most of the hotel industry, for example.

By the way......why only 6 stars? Why not more? What makes a 7 star cruise line, or a 10 star cruise line? It's all arbitrary, and the fact that you've decided there are 6 stars is a perfect example of that.

No, there really doesn't. No more than in most of the hotel industry, for example.

By the way......why only 6 stars? Why not more? What makes a 7 star cruise line, or a 10 star cruise line? It's all arbitrary, and the fact that you've decided there are 6 stars is a perfect example of that.

Exactly. There is no such thing as a six star cruise line except when the cruise line gives itself those six stars.

Hotel industry does use star system. Cruise industry is no different.

i am afraid you are mistaken : the smallest suite on ms EUROPA 2 is 376.7 sq ft - 34 M2 ( square meter ) balcony included ( cfr page 401 of berlitz guide 2017 )

Exactly. There is no such thing as a six star cruise line except when the cruise line gives itself those six stars.

i am afraid the challenger of the Berlitz - Stern - actually does give 6 stars

all those stars are relative : HAL does present itself as 5 starred and luxury

last Saturday i did notice publicity of a cruise on a RCL at a TA in Antwerp : "join us for a 5 starred cruise " ???

i am afraid you are mistaken : the smallest suite on ms EUROPA 2 is 376.7 sq ft - 34 M2 ( square meter ) balcony included ( cfr page 401 of berlitz guide 2017 )

I was not talking about Europa 2 suites, I was talking about the starting point for suites on all cruise lines start about 275 sq ft without a balcony.

Hotel industry does use star system. Cruise industry is no different.

Exactly......they use a star system, but without any specific definitions of the meaning that are accepted throughout the industry. Just like the cruise industry. They rate themselves based on their own perception.

This thread is what makes a six star cruise line. This is only one qualification for a six star cruise line there is three more qualifications that has to be meet. There has to be standards in the cruise industry to determine what is a 6, 51/2, 5 and so on. This system will also help families to make a decision on what cruise line to travel on. When choosing a cruise line it comes down to price, professional reviewers opinions and fellow travelers opinions. I believe there must be some type of standards when people use stars or luxury cruise terminology.

I could not resist commenting on the sentence highlighted in red above. If "families" includes children, luxury cruise line passengers, for the most part, do anything they can to avoid children. This is another area that makes Europa 1 and 2 stand out in a not so good way. I wouldn't care if their suites started at 1,000 sq. ft., the cruise line is family oriented, not inclusive and most passengers speak German. That is three for three in terms of negatives for us.

Also, IMO, you cannot compare hotel ratings with cruise ship ratings. It is like comparing apples and monkeys. They are not related in any way. Unless you are speaking of all-inclusive hotels, people do not spend all of their time in a hotel (eating there, doing tours from there, etc.). They are not captive in a hotel as one is on a ship when it is at sea.

I think that it has been determined that there is no set of rules that apply to luxury cruise Ines. However, at least in North America, there are a handful of cruise lines that are accepted by most cruisers to be luxury, some that are accepted to be premium plus, premium and mainstream.

Travelcat2 there is correlation between hotels and cruise line ratings. Hotels have a star or circle ratings when ever you do research on line for hotels. Example 5 star or circles for Ritz Carlton and 2 star or circles for Motel 6. Cruise lines have the same ratings example Silversea vs Carnival lines. Room size does matter especially on cruise ships because every sq ft matters in a limited cabin space. Hotel rooms may be quite different but the larger rooms are usually 5 star or circles and have more amenities. Bottom line size matters and some travelers will pay the higher amount to have these luxuries. These travelers don't care if they are in the room one hour or 20 hours. That's the reason they make smaller rooms or cabins to give the travelers a choice.