? About HAL Tracy Arm small boat excursion?

EeyoreFan1967

Is it possible to do a Mendenhall Ice Caves hike in the afternoon/evening after the morning/ early afternoon small boat excursion? The ship is in port unto 10pm.

Are the ice caves something we could do on our own or do we need a guide? This could turn into an extremely expensive day! :p

Is it possible to do a Mendenhall Ice Caves hike in the afternoon/evening after the morning/ early afternoon small boat excursion? The ship is in port unto 10pm.

Are the ice caves something we could do on our own or do we need a guide? This could turn into an extremely expensive day! :p

Sorry no. This is not a tour you can do independently and all guided tours leave before you can make them.

Do you mean while in port in Juneau? I was under the impression that Tracy Arm is simply scenic cruising ... where would a ship port?

Do you mean while in port in Juneau? I was under the impression that Tracy Arm is simply scenic cruising ... where would a ship port?

I will be sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam RT from Vancouver, an itinerary that does not include scenic cruising of Tracy Arm. But there is a special excursion for those who decide to book it. The ship stops (or slows) near Tracy Arm (before reaching Juneau) and lets the people who have booked the excursion off onto a small boat. The ship continues onto Juneau and the excursion goes into the Fjord and then meets up with ship in port around 6 hours later. It saves time for the excursion because you don't have to wait until docking in Juneau to head back toward Tracy Arm. So we will get into Juneau around 2 or 3 pm after having already done the Tracy Arm, still with around 7 hours still to explore Juneau. I just have to find another excursion for late in the day if we decide to take this one.

I will be sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam RT from Vancouver, an itinerary that does not include scenic cruising of Tracy Arm. But there is a special excursion for those who decide to book it. The ship stops (or slows) near Tracy Arm (before reaching Juneau) and lets the people who have booked the excursion off onto a small boat. The ship continues onto Juneau and the excursion goes into the Fjord and then meets up with ship in port around 6 hours later. It saves time for the excursion because you don't have to wait until docking in Juneau to head back toward Tracy Arm. So we will get into Juneau around 2 or 3 pm after having already done the Tracy Arm, still with around 7 hours still to explore Juneau. I just have to find another excursion for late in the day if we decide to take this one.

Which date are you sailing? We're also on the nieuw Amsterdam leaving June 24. The Tracy Arm excursion is waitlisted for our cruise. Any idea what the ship will see on the way to Juneau after dropping the excursion people off?

Which date are you sailing? We're also on the nieuw Amsterdam leaving June 24. The Tracy Arm excursion is waitlisted for our cruise. Any idea what the ship will see on the way to Juneau after dropping the excursion people off?

We aren't sailing until May 2018 so will be waiting for the booking window to open around October. I have never been to Alaska so hopefully someone seasoned can help you with the scenery around Juneau. Good luck with your waitlist! I read on one of these threads some where that sometimes they add a second small boat. * Fingers crossed for you!

You will have inside passage sailing from before dawn.

Take a look at photos,

Alternatively- having the opportunity for a Tracy Arm transit could be a significant reason for booking this itinerary and add on tour. The problem with HAL unlike other cruise lines, the cruise ship doesn't even enter the fjord, which is a negative.