Dyea Dave - Skagway

Rock712

Just wanted to take a couple minutes to share our experience with Dyea Dave's Tours in Skagway this past Friday 05/26/17. Let me start by saying although this was our 3rd time in Skagway, it was our first experience with Dyea Dave. Scheduling the tour, The Emerald Lake Tour, was as easy as just sending one e-mail. No deposit required. We were told that someone would meet us at our dock at 07:45. Promptly at 07:45, our guide for the day, Kathy was their to greet us. At that point we found out that we were the only 2 people scheduled for the tour that day. At this point it would have been easy for them to say 1) sorry, not enough people, we have to cancel, or 2) just " phone it in", give us the basics, and be done with it. On the contrary, Kathy spent the entire day treating my wife and I like we were visiting royalty. The level of service we received was off the charts. She made sure anything we wanted to see or experience came to life for us. She never once treated us like paying customers, but as old friends just out for a sightseeing drive. I wont go into a detailed review of every sight we saw, needless to say we got the full Yukon experience, but I want this review to be focused on the level of service we received. It was a fantastic day, perhaps the best excursion we have taken on any of our 13 cruises, and it was all due to one fact and that was the time and effort put forth by our guide, Kathy. She spent her entire day making sure we had a good time. You could not ask for more In the end, we ended up sharing a great experience with a good friend. If you're going to Skagway and you want a good tour please consider using Dyea Dave , based on our experience I think you'll be very happy. :D:D:D:D

• Like 3

We used Dyea Dave back in 14, awesome service, are tour guide even saw the wife and I running to catch up with the ship because we asked to be dropped off at some of the shops before heading back, but we ended up going down the wrong pier that looked like it would take us to the ship, but nope. So at that point we where cutting it to close for comfort and turned into the running people that are sprinting for the ship. Like I mentioned, she recognized us and said hope back in, (she was empty at this point and probably headed back to camp) and she took us right up to the ship.

Great company all around, the tour was fantastic with stops where ever we asked to stop pretty much.

We used Dyea Dave last week. Had Cliff as guide. It was ok. Lots of picture stops. Too much information about what Cliff thinks of things (road workers, First Nations people, taxes, etc).

We used Dyea Dave this past week for Emerald Lake tour and had a great time with Saskia as our guide. Saw 4 bears! Lots of places to stop and get pictures. We opted for the train ride back which was also fun. Highly recommend.

Would folks mind sharing their favorite stops that might not be on the standard route? We are booked on the Emerald Lake Tour. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure what you are asking here. I think the route is the same each time.

Thanks Momto - I read some of the reviews wrong. I thought you could ask for extra stops, etc. if desired and/or make special requests. We don't know much about the area, so in the case you could make requests I wanted to ask for advice on things not to miss. Seems that's not the case - so good news! One less thing to worry about :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am going to book Dyea Dave for August as I had previously heard great things about the tour on this site. Great to hear you had such a good time. I'm not thinking that we will be so lucky as to only have two of us on the tour though lol!

We just returned yesterday from our 2 week Alaska Adventure yesterday, and we did this tour with Kathy on Friday June 9th. Hands down the most personalized experience we have ever had. The big tour vehicle was full so Kathy met us at the dock in a van and another couple from Arkansas that was taking the train back. Kathy made our trip so enjoyable...it was like we were old friends and hadn't seen each other for awhile. She told us about so much history of the area, pointed out highlights and made stops if we wanted to stop, even if just for a scenic picture. She also took us by some of her favorite stops along the route. We saw a beautiful fox, black bear, eagles....and oh my gosh, the scenery. Words can not describe. She walked up to Lower Reid falls with us, told us history of the Gold Rush Cemetery, took us to where ever we wanted to go once we got back to town.....even offered to come get us if we didn't have a way back to the ship. Just an overall kind generous person. Dave has been going through some health issues and had just returned to Skagway the day before our trip. We drove by his place, and he already had his little car out for a drive around town. Just a great bunch of people....you won't be disappointed in booking this tour.

Is Dave the guy in the little car?

He has about three passenger vans that hold various amounts of people. I'm just going by memory, so don't quote me on this, but I think they hold 20 something, 19 and 11 people. If you Google Dyea Dave, the website will pop up.

We drove by his place, and he already had his little car out for a drive around town. Just a great bunch of people....you won't be disappointed in booking this tour.

I was specifically alluding to this part of the post. In Skagway, we saw a guy driving a little car. If you saw it in Skagway, you'd remember. It was a tiny little convertible with a guy wearing a top hat. I assumed the poster was talking about this guy in a little car and I wondered if it was Dave. After doing a little more google image research, I'm pretty sure that the guy in the classic convertible was Dave.

I was specifically alluding to this part of the post. In Skagway, we saw a guy driving a little car. If you saw it in Skagway, you'd remember. It was a tiny little convertible with a guy wearing a top hat. I assumed the poster was talking about this guy in a little car and I wondered if it was Dave. After doing a little more google image research, I'm pretty sure that the guy in the classic convertible was Dave.

Ahhh, I see. That must've been him because I was told to look for the man with a top hat on when we meet up at the port for our tour!

Is Dave the guy in the little car?

Sorry....hadn't checked in for awhile. Yes, that is Dave that drives around in the little red and white convertible that holds barely 2 people. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He called me out of the blue when I had written an email to inquire about the tour. He saw where I was from and called to chat as he had been here before and had friends who lived in the county next to mine. Felt like I was talking to a long lost friend. Just a great guy....

We just returned yesterday from our 2 week Alaska Adventure yesterday, and we did this tour with Kathy on Friday June 9th. Hands down the most personalized experience we have ever had. The big tour vehicle was full so Kathy met us at the dock in a van and another couple from Arkansas that was taking the train back. Kathy made our trip so enjoyable...it was like we were old friends and hadn't seen each other for awhile. She told us about so much history of the area, pointed out highlights and made stops if we wanted to stop, even if just for a scenic picture. She also took us by some of her favorite stops along the route. We saw a beautiful fox, black bear, eagles....and oh my gosh, the scenery. Words can not describe. She walked up to Lower Reid falls with us, told us history of the Gold Rush Cemetery, took us to where ever we wanted to go once we got back to town.....even offered to come get us if we didn't have a way back to the ship. Just an overall kind generous person. Dave has been going through some health issues and had just returned to Skagway the day before our trip. We drove by his place, and he already had his little car out for a drive around town. Just a great bunch of people....you won't be disappointed in booking this tour.

So, I don't see the cemetery and Lower Reid Falls mentioned in the Emerald Lake Tour - only the town tour. So, is a normal stop along the way?