Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

As I start getting ready for my cruise, I'm thinking of more tips which might help others:

-Most people leave their cell phones in airplane mode or turned off while on the ship, including when the ship is sitting idle in a port. I haven't really heard anything specific about Viking ships, but I know there have have been some nasty surprises due to cruisers making phone calls while on a cruise ship. That's because sometimes the calls are routed through the ship, and I believe this might apply even if you are making the call using WiFi. If I want to make a call, I go out into the port terminal - or wait until I can go ashore! .

Since we don't plan on paying for an international phone plan (way too easy to incur costly overages without knowing it), our phones go into airplane mode when we get on the plane and don't leave that mode until we land back in the US. Wi-Fi works even in airplane mode and that is how we communicate. DH and I use "What's App" to message while we are on the ship and one of our children has graciously installed it on their phone so that we can communicate via message (or voice in an emergency). It does limit our use to when wi-fi is available but we can live with that.

-Viking does not exchange money. If you need foreign money, use an ATM or get money before you leave home.

In fact, they have no banking services on board at all. You can't cash travellers checks or break bills, either. As for travelers' cheques, don't bother. They are becoming harder and harder to cash and usually encounter a fee. The best place to get cash is from an ATM; you'll get a better exchange rate from the machine than you will from trying to exchange cash at a bank or an exchange bureau.

We have a dedicated travel account with an ATM-only card (the daily debit card limit is set to $0) that is not connected to any other account. If our card gets skimmed or lost, we can only lose the couple thousand that is that one account and not all of the money in all of our accounts.

• Like 1

When we were on the SUN in April they did change bills for smaller change to use for tips etc. I do not how large of denomination they will cash. I think we did that with USD and Euros.

Thanks for the tip about turning OFF the debit function....did not know that was an option! We take 2 ATM's in case one gets skimmed.

This post has gotten rather confusing as it discusses not only tips but also destinations. Wonder if it can be split up some way. It might be good if you took all of the tips and put them in one place and then we only added tips rather than other information.

• Like 1

This post has gotten rather confusing as it discusses not only tips but also destinations. Wonder if it can be split up some way. It might be good if you took all of the tips and put them in one place and then we only added tips rather than other information.

Even if we could make two threads out of this, going forward, there is still no way of preventing people from asking questions or posting things that aren't precisely on topic and it just becomes an unwelcoming place once you start telling people that they can't post here or that they did it wrong.

Kris, I was reading about Mobile Passport last night and user comments were reporting that the MP lines were even shorter than the Global entry lines at this point in time. Of course, as more people learn about MP, this will change but as long as the lines are shorter than the non-GE and MP lines, that is fine by me.

Mobile Passport is not like Global entry, which is a pre-screening process and requires an in-person interview at the airport. Mobile Passport simply allows you to fill out and transmit the same information that you would have to fill in at the kiosks in advance of arriving at the kiosks.

Mobile Passport is very smooth at the Seattle airport. What others ?

Mobile Passport is very smooth at the Seattle airport. What others ?
That is a really good question--and this audience may be too small for an answer. There is a section called Cruise Air and there is already a busy thread there about Global Entry and TSA Pre but it does not mention mobile passport. Still, I wonder if maybe you will get more responses to your question if you ask it in that forum as well, simply because that forum has a bigger and different audience.

Back to ship tips...when the beds are separated into twins (deluxe veranda)...can a bedside table be placed between them? I imagine it will make it challenging to get into the closet, but it was like that on Oceania cruise line too.

Thanks

• Like 1

Back to ship tips...when the beds are separated into twins (deluxe veranda)...can a bedside table be placed between them? I imagine it will make it challenging to get into the closet, but it was like that on Oceania cruise line too.

Thanks

That's a good question, but one I can't answer, as we never tried it. Here's a picture I took of our deluxe stateroom: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/image/161524166 I'm guessing that if you take out the little bedside table that's (barely) visible on the side of the bed and placed it in the middle, you'd still be able to walk between the desk and the bed, and have the same amount of space between the closet and the other bed. But maybe someone who has actually been in a veranda room with the beds separated can tell us more.

Sorry, I think I took this thread to Kotor and other places a bit off-topic! But now I promise to keep to ship tips!

That's a good question, but one I can't answer, as we never tried it. Here's a picture I took of our deluxe stateroom: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/image/161524166 I'm guessing that if you take out the little bedside table that's (barely) visible on the side of the bed and placed it in the middle, you'd still be able to walk between the desk and the bed, and have the same amount of space between the closet and the other bed. But maybe someone who has actually been in a veranda room with the beds separated can tell us more.

Sorry, I think I took this thread to Kotor and other places a bit off-topic! But now I promise to keep to ship tips!

I wonder if the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com have a photo they can share?

Thanks

I saw it in a youtube video from a TA promoting the line. Its the same amount of space if the table is on the outside or between the 2 beds. It does provide less space between the bed and the desk on the veranda side of the cabin.

Thanks. Roothy123 were you on oceania January 2016 South America to tahiti?

Question: is lunch available onboard before check at 2? I know we can leave luggage but there was no mention of lunch availability.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We arrived early for a Viking river cruise, and they fed us a nice buffet lunch. I'm guessing V. Ocean would do the same, but I don't know--this will be my first V. Ocean. :cool:

Question: is lunch available onboard before check at 2? I know we can leave luggage but there was no mention of lunch availability.

I was thinking you could actually embark the ship earlier than 2 (maybe after 11?), and eat lunch at World Cafe while you wait for your stateroom to be ready by 2 (or perhaps earlier/later for other room categories). However, now I don't see embarkation time in our cruise documents, so I'm not sure. It just says that our stateroom (a DV) will be available at 2 and if we want to drop our bags at the terminal, go back out and return later, we can.

We arrived early for a Viking river cruise, and they fed us a nice buffet lunch. I'm guessing V. Ocean would do the same, but I don't know--this will be my first V. Ocean. :cool:

Same here - we arrived around 8:30-9:00 am for our Grand European. Our suitcases were on the terminal. We checked-in and were offered to have some lunch and if we wish to explore Amsterdam or spent some time in the lounge until our cabin is ready. We will arrive for our first Viking Ocean probably around 10 - 10:30 am. Will we be able to board? We have Viking transfer. I hope they will.

Same here - we arrived around 8:30-9:00 am for our Grand European. Our suitcases were on the terminal. We checked-in and were offered to have some lunch and if we wish to explore Amsterdam or spent some time in the lounge until our cabin is ready. We will arrive for our first Viking Ocean probably around 10 - 10:30 am. Will we be able to board? We have Viking transfer. I hope they will.

Not sure if they will that early since they'll be busy getting everything ready for you--but you can always ask!

Boarding begins once they disembark the previous cruise. Out of your cabin by 8 am and off the ship by 9:30 is what it was on our last two cruises. Boarding begins around 10 am--or as soon as they are ready to board you. Check in is on the pier. The pace in each port is different. The buffet opens at 11am and stays open until 2 pm or a bit longer (if one side isn't open, check the other). If it is after 2pm, check the Living Room bar on Deck 1 or Mamsen inside the Explorer's Lounge on Deck 7 forward for light sandwiches, etc. If you are really desperate, try room service (not sure it will work but it can't hurt to try). All rooms are usually available by 2pm and many are ready well before then (so it doesn't hurt to check). The stewards will move your suitcases into you cabin once they are delivered (so don't worry about them sitting in the corridor all day until you arrive to fetch them in). Consider dropping your bags at your room even if it isn't ready yet (just tell the steward what you are doing so he doesn't think it is left luggage).

Sometime on embarkation afternoon, expect a visit from your room steward. He/She is there to introduce him/herself and give you a tour of the room. The stewards work in teams of two; they will both know your names before you know theirs. Now is a good time to make requests --more hangers, sparkling water instead of or in addition to still water in the carafe on your desk, a daily delivery of ice, additional towels, any instructions for the mini-bar man in case you miss his visit, additional glasses, a table knife (for cutting the local cheese you just bought at the supermarket) and anything else that would fall under the steward's domain.

MORE TIPS: There is a clothesline in the shower. Bring clothespins. We do undies daily and bring metal clippy hangers to hand them on but the bathrooms are short of hooks and other places to hang the hangers and hangers on the clothesline will all slide to the center without something to keep them apart. Metal hangers because plastic ones will break in the suitcase. I have to remember to look into some sort of temporary hook.

• Thanks 1

Boarding begins once they disembark the previous cruise. Out of your cabin by 8 am and off the ship by 9:30 is what it was on our last two cruises. Boarding begins around 10 am--or as soon as they are ready to board you. Check in is on the pier. The pace in each port is different. The buffet opens at 11am and stays open until 2 pm or a bit longer (if one side isn't open, check the other). If it is after 2pm, check the Living Room bar on Deck 1 or Mamsen inside the Explorer's Lounge on Deck 7 forward for light sandwiches, etc. If you are really desperate, try room service (not sure it will work but it can't hurt to try). All rooms are usually available by 2pm and many are ready well before then (so it doesn't hurt to check). The stewards will move your suitcases into you cabin once they are delivered (so don't worry about them sitting in the corridor all day until you arrive to fetch them in). Consider dropping your bags at your room even if it isn't ready yet (just tell the steward what you are doing so he doesn't think it is left luggage).

Sometime on embarkation afternoon, expect a visit from your room steward. He/She is there to introduce him/herself and give you a tour of the room. The stewards work in teams of two; they will both know your names before you know theirs. Now is a good time to make requests --more hangers, sparkling water instead of or in addition to still water in the carafe on your desk, a daily delivery of ice, additional towels, any instructions for the mini-bar man in case you miss his visit, additional glasses, a table knife (for cutting the local cheese you just bought at the supermarket) and anything else that would fall under the steward's domain.

MORE TIPS: There is a clothesline in the shower. Bring clothespins. We do undies daily and bring metal clippy hangers to hand them on but the bathrooms are short of hooks and other places to hang the hangers and hangers on the clothesline will all slide to the center without something to keep them apart. Metal hangers because plastic ones will break in the suitcase. I have to remember to look into some sort of temporary hook.

WOW Peregrina651!!! You ARE wealth of knowledge! Very helpful. Thank you for detailed answer!

I have to remember to look into some sort of temporary hook.

I bought magnetic hooks at Walmart in the hardware section. They had some that held to 25 pounds and didn't mar the walls. They worked great. I also bought some with a clip (like those on clipboards) to hold schedules, papers, etc.