Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

1 hour ago, roothy123 said:

OK, that recent face cloth question reminded me of this:  One thing I really like about Viking's bathrooms (in the cabins) is that there are several nice, fairly deep drawers so that you can hide all your toiletries!  There are also typical cruise ship shelves if you want to spread things out in front of you, but I really like the drawers.  The bathroom's beautiful, and I want to keep it that way!

And down under the sink area are extra towels, a nice resting place for my pajamas!

My mum put her nightgown under her Pillow and came back to find it as part of a towel sculpture, on Princess. Would Viking do this? I always hide mine. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pushka said:

My mum put her nightgown under her Pillow and came back to find it as part of a towel sculpture, on Princess. Would Viking do this? I always hide mine. 

They might move it somewhere, but don't worry, it wouldn't end up as a towel sculpture!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I have had a couple over the years.  Nothing elaborate, just a little something to put a smile on our faces -- and it worked.

I think the towels items can be funny and we did play a couple of jokes on one voyage just using sunnies but might still hide the pjs. 

Ive already packed them as we leave in a couple of days and didn’t think to check at the time 😉 but how strong are the cabin number labels? Should we bring some tape to ensure they don’t tear or go missing?

Edited by Pushka

7 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I think the towels items can be funny and we did play a couple of jokes on one voyage just using sunnies but might still hide the pjs. 

Ive already packed them as we leave in a couple of days and didn’t think to check at the time 😉 but how strong are the cabin number labels? Should we bring some tape to ensure they don’t tear or go missing?

I've never had a problem with the labels.  I wouldn't worry about them tearing or disappearing.    

Just curious - what are "sunnies"?  

Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by roothy123
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pushka said:

but how strong are the cabin number labels? Should we bring some tape to ensure they don’t tear or go missing? 

Not quite sure what you are referring to. Do you mean the luggage tags that we get so that they can deliver the luggage to the rooms? Those are actually quite sturdy but should not be attached until you are about to turn your luggage over to Viking because too many tags on the bags can confuse the airport baggage handling plus they can simply be removed by the airport baggage handlers --and not to mention that it can be a privacy/security issue considering that the tags include your full names in big letters plus your cabin number.

11 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

Oh, I should have figured that out, but thanks.  

Going to Australia in December; I hope I can understand the language! 😀  

Sometimes not knowing makes it more fun .. don't stress you will be fine.

We were on a river cruise a few years ago (90% Australians) and the CD was amazed by some of the phrases. The one which he loved the most .. someone said they had to 'chuck a u-ee'

CD had no idea what it meant .. 'chucking a u-ee' is doing a u-turn in a motor vehicle. I must admit, it's not something you hear every day. If you want a laugh, google 'Aussie slang' (slang being unqiue Aussie expressions).

Enjoy the trip - I look forward to your comments during / after. LM

Edited by Little Monty
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Not quite sure what you are referring to. Do you mean the luggage tags that we get so that they can deliver the luggage to the rooms? Those are actually quite sturdy but should not be attached until you are about to turn your luggage over to Viking because too many tags on the bags can confuse the airport baggage handling plus they can simply be removed by the airport baggage handlers --and not to mention that it can be a privacy/security issue considering that the tags include your full names in big letters plus your cabin number.

Yes, the paper tags that you pop on just as you are about to board the ship. Good to hear they will handle the job. Some just don’t. 

24 minutes ago, Little Monty said:

Sometimes not knowing makes it more fun .. don't stress you will be fine.

We were on a river cruise a few years ago (90% Australians) and the CD was amazed by some of the phrases. The one which he loved the most .. someone said they had to 'chuck a u-ee'

CD had no idea what it meant .. 'chucking a u-ee' is doing a u-turn in a motor vehicle. I must admit, it's not something you hear every day. If you want a laugh, google 'Aussie slang' (slang being unqiue Aussie expressions).

Enjoy the trip - I look forward to your comments during / after. LM

Should we warn people about Drop Bears or not?

I also say G’Day and at work had a visiting Canadian professor in fits of laughter. I also chuck a u-ee. 😂

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 8:12 PM, Pushka said:

Yes, the paper tags that you pop on just as you are about to board the ship. Good to hear they will handle the job. Some just don’t. 

they're not paper but a very sturdy flexible plastic. and yes - put them on in baggage claim including anything else you don't want to lug on the bus with you. in my case, it's a small backpack I use to hold all kinds of stuff useful onboard the flight but a bit too big to carry on the bus along with my camera bag. 

On 5/10/2019 at 7:22 PM, Peregrina651 said:

I hang a U-ee. I also hang a left and hang a right as needed.

your area also "squeezes" right and left. you even have traffic signs that say so!!!🤪

My sister & I have done one Viking River cruise & liked it, so we're going Viking Ocean next - all the way to Australia/New Zealand (12/27/19 on the Orion). A few questions: Is tipping the norm on Australia-based cruises? If so, given the favorable US$ to AUD exchange rate, would it be better to tip on-board in local currency, or to pre-pay tips? Also, any thoughts on Travel Insurance? My sister & I are early 70's, in good health & with no pre-existing conditions. On the other hand, this is a big, expensive trip for us? Thanks to all who respond.

7 minutes ago, LABARNETT said:

My sister & I have done one Viking River cruise & liked it, so we're going Viking Ocean next - all the way to Australia/New Zealand (12/27/19 on the Orion). A few questions: Is tipping the norm on Australia-based cruises? If so, given the favorable US$ to AUD exchange rate, would it be better to tip on-board in local currency, or to pre-pay tips? Also, any thoughts on Travel Insurance? My sister & I are early 70's, in good health & with no pre-existing conditions. On the other hand, this is a big, expensive trip for us? Thanks to all who respond.

Personally, I wouldn't consider going on such a big vacation WITHOUT trip insurance.  While I've never had to use mine, I do know people who have.  I think it's worth the investment in peace of mind.

• Like 1

Viking will automatically charge your onboard credit card $15 per day per passenger for crew tips (unless you specify otherwise).  Additional tips are often given, but totally voluntary.  Tips for local tour guides and bus drivers are preferably in the local currency (2 for the guide and 1 for the driver per person), although I've read that some travelers have given US dollars and they were accepted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LABARNETT said:

Tipping is the norm on Viking. The on-board currency for Viking Oceans is USD. However, tourguides and bus drivers should be tipped in AUD. Tipping for crew is a usually non-cash transaction; it is automatically added to your on board account unless you have asked them not to or have prepaid.IMHO, pre-pay the tips; it is just one less thing worry about.

Travel insurance is a must unless you can afford to kiss good-bye $10,000 or more because you have to cancel at the last minute. There are some things that just can't be predicted and that includes your health and that of your family (whose health may also be one of the reasons you need to cancel at the last minute).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LABARNETT said:

Also, any thoughts on Travel Insurance? My sister & I are early 70's, in good health & with no pre-existing conditions. On the other hand, this is a big, expensive trip for us? Thanks to all who respond.

You might want to look into AAA travel insurance. We found that they had a much better rate and more inclusions than the Viking travel insurance. 

We always have travel insurance when departing our home country, even if only crossing the line into the US for the day. For large trips we will also get trip cancellation/interruption insurance, having claimed once for a medical cancellation.

I would compare the cost of Viking's insurance with private travel insurance providers. The pros of Viking insurance is they waive any pre-existing conditions, if purchased with the cruise and the premiums are not based on age, but a percentage of cruise fare. However the medical insurance component (for our cruise) is only $100K - we don't travel with less than $10 million, especially if visiting the US.

Private insurance quotes are based on age and prior medical issues, whether stable or not. Even in your 70's, private insurance may be cheaper, if no prior medical issues.