Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2019 at 7:32 AM, Cyber Kat said:

For me, it’s Soft Surroundings!  And they have fabulous tunics!  😍

CK, thank you again!!!!

I finally got there last night and would have cleaned out the store! My daughter was with me and she didn't go home empty handed either.  Great staff. Very helpful. Can't wait to go back!

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

CK, thank you again!!!!

I finally got there last night and would have cleaned out the store! My daughter was with me and she didn't go home empty handed either.  Great staff. Very helpful. Can't wait to go back!

Glad to hear you liked it!  I just got an email about a hooded tunic in a pretty print on sale in their catalog.  It looked perfect for our upcoming Eastern Seaboard cruise!  I could easily clean out the store!

Sign up for their emails - they will send you coupons for $20 off a few times a year!  And they have an outlet store online.  Also if you order from the catalog in the store, they ship free!

1 hour ago, Cyber Kat said:

Glad to hear you liked it!  I just got an email about a hooded tunic in a pretty print on sale in their catalog.  It looked perfect for our upcoming Eastern Seaboard cruise!  I could easily clean out the store!

Sign up for their emails - they will send you coupons for $20 off a few times a year!  And they have an outlet store online.  Also if you order from the catalog in the store, they ship free!

A local shopping center has a JJill right next to Soft Surroundings. That's a dangerous stretch to pass on my way to the grocery store!

• Like 1

Have never been to Soft Surroundings, and only to JJill once or twice.  But I see they're both in the same shopping mall (Columbia, MD) in my neck of the woods, so maybe I'll have to make a trip there. I'll blame Cyber Kat if I spend too much money....really don't need any new clothes, but do have a cruise coming up later in the year, so...

Edited by roothy123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Have never been to Soft Surroundings, and only to JJill once or twice.  But I see they're both in the same shopping mall (Columbia, MD) in my neck of the woods, so maybe I'll have to make a trip there. I'll blame Cyber Kat if I spend too much money....really don't need any new clothes, but do have a cruise coming up later in the year, so...

LOL! I don’t really need new clothes either. I should go through my closet and have a good clean out 😆

We really are getting off track, so I feel I owe a tip!

TIPS

if there is an optional excursion you didn’t get because it was sold out when your booking window opened: 

• 1) keep watching MyVikingJourney.  We had quite a few open up again 
  • 2) check with the shore excursion desk as soon as you can after boarding. There are people changing theirs or canceling up to the night before that port 

Also for the included - if you are not happy with your time slot, these often change as well as people cancel or change things around. 

As for booking the specialty restaurants, check the desk in front of the individual restaurant, instead of the one in the World Cafe. It has been our experience, that they have a bit more leeway to change things around. 

I agree with all you very good tips, CyberKat. 

Both the Viking Restaurant manager and the Excursion Manager on a recent cruise also offered up those pieces of advice.

They have the same issues that restaurants at home have (and maybe even tour groups).   Lots of folks (especially with early priority) sign up for everything they can - and then cancel out as the cruise gets closer, and during the cruise as they change plans or realize they bit off more than they can chew!

They also shared that unfortunately, some cruisers book the dinner reservations and are no shows.  For this reason, we often go "standby" and have never had a problem getting a table due to the no-shows whose tables are given up after x minutes (seemed to vary but possibly 15 to 30 minutes to be classified a "no show").   Was surprised at all the no-shows.  The number seemed to increase after a particularly busy port day with lots of excursions, as people just decided not to show for dinner.

Sort of think common courtesy would have them cancel, but because they often don't, it helps those like us out!

So - never give up!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I agree with all you very good tips, CyberKat. 

Both the Viking Restaurant manager and the Excursion Manager on a recent cruise also offered up those pieces of advice.

They have the same issues that restaurants at home have (and maybe even tour groups).   Lots of folks (especially with early priority) sign up for everything they can - and then cancel out as the cruise gets closer, and during the cruise as they change plans or realize they bit off more than they can chew!

They also shared that unfortunately, some cruisers book the dinner reservations and are no shows.  For this reason, we often go "standby" and have never had a problem getting a table due to the no-shows whose tables are given up after x minutes (seemed to vary but possibly 15 to 30 minutes to be classified a "no show").   Was surprised at all the no-shows.  The number seemed to increase after a particularly busy port day with lots of excursions, as people just decided not to show for dinner.

Sort of think common courtesy would have them cancel, but because they often don't, it helps those like us out!

So - never give up!

That’s sad and maddening at the same time. It’s really not difficult to think of others instead of yourself all the time and it’s not difficult at all to pick up the phone or stop by the desk and cancel. More often I think it’s just that people don’t think beyond their own noses.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2018 at 6:12 AM, Cyber Kat said:

There is another thread from someone currently on the Viking Sea. He was told by the people on the ship, that this is NOT true. V and DV categories will NOT get liquor in the min-bar even if they purchase the Silver Spirits package.

He wrote to tellus@vikingcruises.com and they wrote back to him, saying that ALL cabin categories DO get liquor in the mini-bar regardless of category. He took it up once again with the ship, showing them the response and they said fine, we will supply liquor and replace once a day. A bit later someone on the ship called him and said they thought he was in a PV, and he would NOT be getting liquor in his mini-bar.

We are sailing on the Viking Sea in March and planned to get the Silver Spirits package. I wrote to tellus@vikingcruises hoping to clear up the confusion. I just want to know what Is supposed to be included and to make sure we get what is included. There seems to be inconsistent policy from ship to ship, in addition to conflicting info.

This is the response I got, which is again inconsistent with what Peregrina651 was told above...

“I understand that there’s been conflicting information regarding what our Silver Spirits Beverage Package (SSBP) entails. I apologize for any confusion this might have caused and appreciate your understanding as we have investigated the specifics to this policy update.

Allow me to clarify – our SSBP does not include replenishing the alcohol in the mini-bar. I’ve attached a document outlining what our SSBP does include. Our policy for the mini-bar is based on stateroom category, regardless of whether guests have purchased SSBP. Since you’re staying in a category DV4 cabin, your mini-bar’s soft drinks, water and snacks will be replenished once daily.”

The document she attached does not mention the mini-bar at all, however the PDF order form on My Viking Journey says, “The Viking Ocean Cruises Silver Spirits beverage package includes any drink up to $15, throughout the day and anywhere on the ship; mini-bar replenishment; The Chef’s Table premium wine pairing; and 15% off premium beverages, Armagnacs and bottles of wine over $50”

This gets curiouser and curiouser emoji15.png

Without the Silver Spirits package PV and above get liquor in their mini bars while V and DV do NOT. If the Silver Spirits package does NOT change this policy why even mention it?

I love Viking for so many reasons, but they really, really need to make sure that ALL their people are on the same page regarding information given to guests.

We are getting the Silver Spirits package for drinks in the afternoon and the upgrade to the wine, but if we are entitled to the mini bar liquor through the package, I want it. emoji12.png

I don’t know how to get a definitive answer. It’s frustrating.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband and I are considering booking our first VO cruise for our 25th anniversary next year, in a V2 cabin.  This is an older post, but we are considering the Silver Spirits package and had question.  I took the bolded section to mean Viking would replenish mini-bars for all categories with SS (compared to only certain cabin levels without), but since the V2 mini-bar doesn't come with alcohol they would only replenish any soft drinks consumed.  Do I understand the package correctly?  Also, are snacks replenished?  I'm fine either way, just curious.

On 5/9/2019 at 3:10 PM, moatenote said:

Yes!!  So nice to get wash cloths!  And you can request any additional towels from your helpful room steward.

We have only sailed mainstream lines before (CCL, RCCL, NCL, and Princess) sailing from the east coast of USA.  I forgot that some other parts of the world don't provide wash cloths (a standard in America) so this never occurred to me.  I'm glad to see cloths are included 🙂 

On 7/11/2019 at 3:48 PM, doxielover47 said:

Just one additional note regarding laundry. Not only are the washers and dryers free to use, they also provide free detergent. We were on the Viking Sun in May and for their machines there was a button to push for the numbered washer you were going to use and it automatically dispensed the detergent into the machine. Easy peasy and no mess! Worked great!

Does anyone know if there is fabric softener in the machines?  If I did laundry it would mostly be athletic clothes which shouldn't have fabric softener.  Also, is there a second rinse option to fully remove detergent?  

I saw that there is no karaoke on board.  Is there also no piano bar?  We didn't spend a lot of time there on other ships, but did enjoy singing along with others sometimes and a more lighthearted "fun" entertainment.  Is there any current music played on the ships or mainly classical?  I consider 1960's-1980's "current" in this context - not necessarily this century new.  We can be fine either way, just looking for what to expect.

19 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

since the V2 mini-bar doesn't come with alcohol they would only replenish any soft drinks consumed.  Do I understand the package correctly?  Also, are snacks replenished?  I'm fine either way, just curious.

Neither snacks nor soda is replaced in a V2. A DV gets soda and snacks replenishment daily; PV or higher also gets the alcohol with daily replenishment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

oes anyone know if there is fabric softener in the machines?  If I did laundry it would mostly be athletic clothes which shouldn't have fabric softener.  Also, is there a second rinse option to fully remove detergent?  

No fabric softener in the detergent; the detergent is an eco-friendly brand with a mild frangrance. There are photos in some of the laundry threads showing the control panel; they differ from ship to ship. Or you can ask on a LIVE thread if someone could take a picture of the controls for you.

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

Is there also no piano bar?

There is a piano player who rotates among the among the pianos in the bars -- Living Room and Explorers Lounge. Also, a guitar player and a duo/trio in the rotation. Otherwise, the disco is as close as it gets to a piano bar.

44 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Neither snacks nor soda is replaced in a V2. A DV gets soda and snacks replenishment daily; PV or higher also gets the alcohol with daily replenishment.

And you can pay to replace or add anything. The price list is in the cabin. You can bring extra cans of soda from the dining room/buffet. There is no ban on BYO and it may consumed anywhere on the ship. If you have the drinks package, last I heard it includes drinks delivered to you cabin via room service. Maybe someone can update this bit of info.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Thanks.  Is this quoted portion from the Silver Spirit order form incorrect then:

The Viking Ocean Cruises Silver Spirits beverage package includes any drink up to $15, throughout the day and anywhere on the ship; mini-bar replenishment; The Chef’s Table premium wine pairing; and 15% off premium beverages, Armagnacs and bottles of wine over $50.

Even with the package the mini-bar is not replenished?  I doubt we will drink much soft drink regardless, but the wording does seem odd.

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

No fabric softener in the detergent; the detergent is an eco-friendly brand with a mild frangrance. There are photos in some of the laundry threads showing the control panel; they differ from ship to ship. Or you can ask on a LIVE thread if someone could take a picture of the controls for you.

There is a piano player who rotates among the among the pianos in the bars -- Living Room and Explorers Lounge. Also, a guitar player and a duo/trio in the rotation. Otherwise, the disco is as close as it gets to a piano bar.

And you can pay to replace or add anything. The price list is in the cabin. You can bring extra cans of soda from the dining room/buffet. There is no ban on BYO and it may consumed anywhere on the ship. If you have the drinks package, last I heard it includes drinks delivered to you cabin via room service. Maybe someone can update this bit of info.

Thanks for all the answers 🙂 Definitely a learning curve for us switching from the mainstream lines.  If there's no fabric softener we should be good, but I'll try to find some of the laundry threads.  The disco might be a good fit for us, except husband doesn't dance much.  Delivery via room service would be nice 🙂 - the main time we get is ginger ale if one of us isn't feeling well (which hopefully won't be an issue on a Southern Caribbean cruise in November 😉 )

37 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Thanks.  Is this quoted portion from the Silver Spirit order form incorrect then:

The Viking Ocean Cruises Silver Spirits beverage package includes any drink up to $15, throughout the day and anywhere on the ship; mini-bar replenishment; The Chef’s Table premium wine pairing; and 15% off premium beverages, Armagnacs and bottles of wine over $50.

Even with the package the mini-bar is not replenished?  I doubt we will drink much soft drink regardless, but the wording does seem odd.

My wife and I do not drink so I have no interest in or knowledge of Silver Spirits. But this is something to definitely check out. When we had a PV1, we did get 4 little bottles of liquor each day which we brought back as souvenirs. It's a good question: do you get these daily in your mini-bar with Silver Spirits even if you don't have a PV or higher cabin? I would ask Viking.

• 2 months later...
On 10/8/2019 at 8:02 AM, pacruise804 said:

Does anyone know if there is fabric softener in the machines?  If I did laundry it would mostly be athletic clothes which shouldn't have fabric softener.  Also, is there a second rinse option to fully remove detergent?  

I saw that there is no karaoke on board.  Is there also no piano bar?  We didn't spend a lot of time there on other ships, but did enjoy singing along with others sometimes and a more lighthearted "fun" entertainment.  Is there any current music played on the ships or mainly classical?  I consider 1960's-1980's "current" in this context - not necessarily this century new.  We can be fine either way, just looking for what to expect.

I'm interested in the answers to these questions as well. Also would love to know if the laundry detergent they supply is scented, as we don't do well with fragrances in laundry soap. And I'd love to know about the piano bar too. 

Well, this is what I remember, but laundry and entertainment are not my special interests, so hopefully someone else will jump in here to add or correct.  There's no scent to the detergent and spouse is not aware of any fabric softener, though he saw a few people who brought fabric softener sheets.  (We're not sure if liquid can be added.)  We're also not sure about a second rinse option - spouse says he was never quite sure that those international symbols on the machines meant!

The music often but not always has a classical slant, but the Viking house band can play a reasonably diverse set of music, with vocals.  New Year's Eve was actually fairly rocking last year - definitely plenty of "current" music.  There is usually a smattering of shows offered like a Beatles musical presentation, and various musical "stations" on the TV (variety of genres).  As for a piano, there's one in the Atrium, but not too many people play it other than.Viking performers, though I suppose you could if you wanted to!   I never attended the small musical presentations in the smoky bar venue - Frank Sinatra or whatever, but there may be a piano in there. Or there may be a piano elsewhere; not sure.  All I play is a CD player.  Definitely no karaoke.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jrf123 said:

I'm interested in the answers to these questions as well. Also would love to know if the laundry detergent they supply is scented, as we don't do well with fragrances in laundry soap. And I'd love to know about the piano bar too. 

Yes, there is fragrance in the laundry soap. Last I sailed it was a mild pine-y fragrance that does not linger. It is the same eco-friendly detergent that is used for the sheets and towels.

Personally, I cannot handle the strong, flowery fragrances and I sniff every new product before I buy. I can report that I have no trouble with the fragrances used in Viking products -- soaps, detergents, shampoo. However, this is my personal reaction and you may react differently.

The washing machines models differ from ship to ship. The ones I have used have offered a second rinse.

As for the pianos and the bars...

There are two bars with pianos (Living Room in the Atrium, Deck 1 but heard on Decks 2&3 and Explorers Lounge , Deck 7 Forward) and one piano player who, along with the guitar player and the classical duo/trio move between the venues between 4 pm and 11pm. Each soloist/duo plays for 45 minutes and then rotates to another venue.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dauntless said:

There is no smoking in the night club(Torshavn).  The lighting is very subdued unless you are on the dance floor

LOL. The only place to smoke on the ship is the designated smoking area, outside on Deck 8. The rest of the ship --public areas, cabins and balconies -- is smoke free.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Sorry, I didn't mean "smoky" literally, or that there was smoking allowed in there!  "Subdued lighting" is no doubt more accurate! 

I thought I knew what you were going for but since this is for new cruisers to Viking, I didn't want them to be left with the wrong impression.  The only time I was able to clearly see everything in there was during a 'resident' historian discussion group.

19 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

I thought I knew what you were going for but since this is for new cruisers to Viking, I didn't want them to be left with the wrong impression.  The only time I was able to clearly see everything in there was during a 'resident' historian discussion group.

Well, at least you made it in there.  I still haven't been, except to poke my head in there once out of curiosity!