Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

16 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Our original Viking transatlantic December 2020 cruise was cancelled, so I've now booked a November 29, 2021 (so far away!) transatlantic from Barcelona to San Juan on the Viking Sea.  I was checking the Viking boards on cabin recommendations and saw advice about checking the Viking web site for changes to available cabins.  Where do you go to see that?

Go to the Viking Cruises web page showing your cruise and the date.  Click on the red "Book Now" tab at the upper right.  Fill in Guest Information items, then click Next.  Select a date and the Cruise Direction on the next page.  2. is Select a Stateroom Category-- click on the one you're interested in.  3. "Select a Stateroom Number"- the available room numbers will appear in this box.  When you're done, just close the page.

• Like 1

... checking the Viking web site for changes to available cabins.  Where do you go to see that?

All you can really do on your own is see if the general availability for a category (Available, Limited Availability, or Sold Out) changes. If it does, and something you're interested in appears to NOT be sold out, you can call Viking and ask for details.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, moatenote said:

Go to the Viking Cruises web page showing your cruise and the date.  Click on the red "Book Now" tab at the upper right.  Fill in Guest Information items, then click Next.  Select a date and the Cruise Direction on the next page.  2. is Select a Stateroom Category-- click on the one you're interested in.  3. "Select a Stateroom Number"- the available room numbers will appear in this box.  When you're done, just close the page.

Thanks!  I wondered about the "Book Now" tab but was afraid I'd end up with two bookings!  🙂

I didn't realize the website provided specific cabin availability. Is that new?

4 minutes ago, just_dont said:

I didn't realize the website provided specific cabin availability. Is that new?

I've looked at it this way for a few months now, but I don't know if it's always been this way.  Of course, you could ask your TA to check with Viking directly.  

9 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Thanks!  I wondered about the "Book Now" tab but was afraid I'd end up with two bookings!  🙂

I was worried about that at first too!  So I was relieved to find out that that doesn't happen!.  I enjoy looking at what's available in some of the high-level cabins just for fun.

• Like 1

Has anyone in the UK had success with a dummy booking? I tried the above and all I could get was "request a quote" where I had to fill in my details and the contact for the quote being a choice of email or phone.

The reason I would like to access this information myself is I have a B2B cruise booked jan/feb where I would want to move my cabin to a better location keeping the same one for both cruises. I have phoned Viking direct to access this information despite booking through my TA as I felt it cut out unnecessary third party involvement during the pandemic, they were extremely helpful but it does involve them in extra work and would involve me repeatedly phoning to check until I was lucky which may be never. Accessing the information personally would save everyone time and effort.

6 hours ago, tine-tine said:

Has anyone in the UK had success with a dummy booking? I tried the above and all I could get was "request a quote" where I had to fill in my details and the contact for the quote being a choice of email or phone.

Do you see the "Book Now" button?  I see both the "Book Now" button and "Request a Quote."  I wonder if the reason that doesn't work for you is that UK clients get different things from Viking.

45 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Do you see the "Book Now" button?  I see both the "Book Now" button and "Request a Quote."  I wonder if the reason that doesn't work for you is that UK clients get different things from Viking.

I don't know if that's the reason you can't do a dummy booking.  However, I've been on Cruise Critic a lot, and over the years I've read that non-U.S. citizens are often, and possibly always, seeing different prices/requirements/things when they book or try to book.  I haven't heard that this differs between cruise lines. If you'd like me to try to do a dummy booking for you to try to get a sense of what rooms/suites are available, I can do that.

7 hours ago, tine-tine said:

The reason I would like to access this information myself is I have a B2B cruise booked jan/feb where I would want to move my cabin to a better location keeping the same one for both cruises. I have phoned Viking direct to access this information despite booking through my TA as I felt it cut out unnecessary third party involvement during the pandemic, they were extremely helpful but it does involve them in extra work and would involve me repeatedly phoning to check until I was lucky which may be never. Accessing the information personally would save everyone time and effort.

With the Covid lockdown, I'm not doing much and I'll help you research this if you'd like'

Just curious: Does anyone know if the dummy bookings show every room/suite available?  I know with Oceania the last time I looked, their system would pull up a certain amount of rooms only (maybe 5? I forget).  But then if you were looking for a specific room or wanting to see how many rooms they had left in a particular booking category, you could use a tab to request to see more.  It was rather time-consuming, (at least for the most common room categories) because the room numbers popped up randomly each day I queried).  But the one time I went through the whole exercise, it did eventually tell me which rooms were still open for booking.  

Edited by roothy123

20 minutes ago, moatenote said:

With the Covid lockdown, I'm not doing much and I'll help you research this if you'd like'

Thank you for your very kind offer it is very sweet if you. I spoke with Viking recently and the cabins for one of the cruises are available but the other is full in my category.  I really do not expect the cruise to go ahead and to be quite honest I think we will pass the booking on to a later date, I was just interested for future bookings as it would be so much easier and save so much time for to be able to check online. 

it looks like in the U.K. there is no option to book just “request a quote” and someone will either phone or email. Maybe they want to give us the sales chat as we are more impressionable! 😂

This was to be our first Viking cruise as a wee change from Oceania so a bit disappointed, then I remind myself about the possible repercussions of foreign Travel at the moment and then I am calm again🙏

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice you are all such a helpful bunch. Keep safe. 

47 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

The UK site and the US site are different. UK pricing and booking terms and conditions are different as well. Viking definitely tailors itself to the various markets.

I went to register for the Meet & Mingle for my new cruise and found that CC has suspended registration for several cruise lines' M&Ms, including Viking.
I imagine 'mingling' might be discouraged while the pandemic is still a thing.

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Although not all of the cruise lines have suspended enrollment. So who knows what will happen.

It seems like those lines that have cancelled their entire 2020 season, like Viking, don't have registration, but those lines that do have some 2020 cruises do have registration.

• Like 1

On one Viking cruise, our room was adjacent to and one deck above the area from which the tenders were launched.  Lots of clanking, shouting, etc on days when tenders would be used.  Fortunately, this was a short duration event.

(Deck plans, and what's above / below, do matter)

2 hours ago, CTBob said:

I was considering booking a DV6 but noticed that the one I have on hold is directly over Torshaven and might be affected by noise from below.  Has anyone found that to be a problem?  CTBob

The word on the street is to stay away from the cabins that are near Torshaven. On the other hand, the DV6 over the dining room are quiet.

3 hours ago, CTBob said:

I was considering booking a DV6 but noticed that the one I have on hold is directly over Torshaven and might be affected by noise from below.  Has anyone found that to be a problem?  CTBob

Bob - I originally booked 3055 for the Sun's cancelled December 2020 cruise and found several posts on CC specifically referencing that cabin and several next to it as being very loud from Torshavn.

1 hour ago, CTBob said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  CTBob

Bob - did you see the post nearer to the top of this page about using the "Book Now" button on the web page for this cruise to look and see which other cabins are available for a certain category?  You can use it to look for DV cabins on the port side or ones that more aft.