Advice on Port Excursions Naples - Disney Magic Mediterranean Cruise

Aussieupover

Hello, this is my first cruise with my family (twin 3 year olds included) and I am lost as to which port excursion would be best and this is my first post too! I am between the "Island of Capri" or "Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri". Would the three location option be too much in one day? We are also traveling with my mother who is in her 70s.

Thanks for any insight and/or advice! :)

Hello, this is my first cruise with my family (twin 3 year olds included) and I am lost as to which port excursion would be best and this is my first post too! I am between the "Island of Capri" or "Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri". Would the three location option be too much in one day? We are also traveling with my mother who is in her 70s.

I think the Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri would be too much for little ones.

Pompeii is a lot of walking, not something my 3 year olds would have been into.

Pompeii to Sorrento is a long drive. Will your kids be OK on a bus for an hour (at least)?

If you get to Sorrento, the ferry to Capri isn't far, but it also makes for a long day.

I didn't do it on Disney but I went to Naples on a cruise when my twins were three. I recommend a taxi or train to do Naples on your own. That way you can come and go as you please. I did it on the train,but depending on your mom's abiity to walk getting a taxi may be better. There is also a bus that leaves right from the port, but you will need to check the times to see if it aligns with your schedule. With young kids the organization used tours doing usllay turn it well, I speak from personal experience and my kids are frequent travelers.

I wouldn't recommend doing all three as it would be a long day for adults,three year old twins is setting yourself up for tantrums.

are you going this summer or in 2018?

if this summer, you might want to check on the measles vaccinations of your twins...

there is an ongoing measles epidemic in europe..

our health ministry (i live in israel) issued a directive that anyone headed for europe should make sure they have been vaccinated for measles, either in the past or before they travel...

They went even further - since kids here get their first measles vaccine as infants and their second in first grade, the health ministry directed that all traveling children between the ages of 1 and 6 should have their second measles vaccine advanced - to be vaccinated free of charge before their trip overseas.

so something to consider...

we're traveling overseas in august, so the two toddlers will be vaccinated next week (once they get over their colds) and the 6 adults have all had our measles antibodies checked (since none of us were sure if we'd been vaccinated or not)...

unfortunately, all the articles about it here are in hebrew...

here's one from last month, when the health ministry put out the advisory to travelers:

http://healthy.walla.co.il/item/3065269

and here's an article from yesterday, about how all the people about to travel are flooding the vaccination centers to be vaccinated against measles before their summer trips...

the most important paragraph in the article is about how children under the age of 5 are at high risk if they contract measles...

and that a child is only immunized if he/she has had a series of two vaccinations

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4971556,00.html

Edited by alaska_planner

are you going this summer or in 2018?

if this summer, you might want to check on the measles vaccinations of your twins...

there is an ongoing measles epidemic in europe..

our health ministry (i live in israel) issued a directive that anyone headed for europe should make sure they have been vaccinated for measles, either in the past or before they travel...

They went even further - since kids here get their first measles vaccine as infants and their second in first grade, the health ministry directed that all traveling children between the ages of 1 and 6 should have their second measles vaccine advanced - to be vaccinated free of charge before their trip overseas.

so something to consider...

we're traveling overseas in august, so the two toddlers will be vaccinated next week (once they get over their colds) and the 6 adults have all had our measles antibodies checked (since none of us were sure if we'd been vaccinated or not)...

unfortunately, all the articles about it here are in hebrew...

here's one from last month, when the health ministry put out the advisory to travelers:

http://healthy.walla.co.il/item/3065269

and here's an article from yesterday, about how all the people about to travel are flooding the vaccination centers to be vaccinated against measles before their summer trips...

the most important paragraph in the article is about how children under the age of 5 are at high risk if they contract measles...

and that a child is only immunized if he/she has had a series of two vaccinations

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4971556,00.html

Oh, I'm glad I read this today as we go Sept 6th and have a 5 year old that hasnt had her 2nd Measles shot (here in Colorado its between 4 - 6 years of age they get final measle vaccine). Guess I will mention it to her pediatrician at her physical next month to make sure she's good to go.

We did Pompeii and Vesuvius and it was a very long and hot day. I'm not saying that I regret it, but part way thru Pompeii we were considering heading back to the gift shop (fortunately, the group was headed back by then so it wouldn't have saved any walking. To do it with 3 year old twins and an elderly mother--no way.

I'd look at an "on your own" tour either with a private guide or a "do it yourself" with a taxi. That or select a single place where you want to go, take a taxi, and return when your group has had enough. The problem with a lot of the excursions in Europe is that they start and end with a long drive. Fortunately, Naples is one of the easier cities as you DO dock at the city rather than an hour or more away.

Oh, I'm glad I read this today as we go Sept 6th and have a 5 year old that hasnt had her 2nd Measles shot (here in Colorado its between 4 - 6 years of age they get final measle vaccine). Guess I will mention it to her pediatrician at her physical next month to make sure she's good to go.

Make sure that the vaccine is administered 6 weeks prior to the cruise. Vaccinations provide protection after 6 weeks of administration.

hmm I've spent time in all of those cities as the Amalfi coast is a favorite. I have a private tour guide/driver Marcello at See Sorrento if you wanted a day drive along the Amalfi Drive.

with the kids - I might lean toward Capri which is a favorite as it involves ferry ride, a funicular ride to the top. there are ice cream shops, lemon groves and gardens with views of the Fraglioni Rocks.

my favorite to do but not sure age requirements is Anacapri for the Blue Grotto (boat ride in the blue water cave) and the Chair Lift ride to viewpoint. take taxi option as local orange busses get packed and only 8 seats hard with kids

I have a review of each of these on my travel blog PhilaTravelGirl

Naples is chaotic in a crazy Italian way but there is a park for kids near port and then stairs to climb to get to the waterfront area quickly - then it's a lovely stroll with the fortress nearby if you want to just chill

Pompeii is lots of uneven surfaces, no shade and lots of people and your groups - it's too much IMO for young kids

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How mobile is your mom? Pompei is rough cobble streets and high curbs. She'll have to be nimble.

On another line, I took the Pompeii and other stuff excursion. The other stuff was mundane and I was annoyed that we only had two hours in Pompeii which was endlessly fascinating to me. If you're up to it and think that you are in to it, consider a private tour or a third-party excursion that goes to Pompei only. Or possibly get there on your own and do a self-guided tour. They are out there, written and audio. Rick Steves has one on his "Rick Steves Audio Europe" phone app.

Cheese making isn't nearly as much fun.