Live, Terry/Spirit: Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany; Pix’s!

TLCOhio

FOOD?? Did they feed and sustain us reasonably well during our first sailing on the Silver Spirit? No complaints! In fact, we were very happy with the overall quality and variety. That's especially true now that we are home and are searching the options in our refrigerator and freezer. It's kind of limited back at home. Plus, we have to clean off the tables, do the dishes, etc. Ah, to be back again on the Silvership ship??!!

Below are some photo samples/examples as "evidence/proof" taken with my iPhone. It gives you a little idea for the "suffering" that we had to endure during our eleven-day cruise from Lisbon to Rouen.

We were about an even split between the evening meals in the main dining room versus La Terrazza. One night, as detailed earlier, was highly enjoyable at the Stars Super Club. Another super excellent evening meal was outdoors on the 9th level for The Grill or the Hot Rocks experience.

Given the active port schedule on this cruise and our experiences on the 4th level walking through the main dining room, the use/demand for either breakfast or lunch in the MDR was very, very light. Most all of our breakfasts were at La Terrazza. Like to do a combination of starting with items from the buffet, plus ordering an omelet, etc., that was service nice and warm by our waiter. Like the speed and variety earlier in the morning in using La Terrazza.

Many of our lunches were off the ship as we were so busy doing shore excursions. BUT, when catching lunch on the ship, it was mostly in La Terrazza. Happy with those options! Especially as for many of the breakfasts and lunches in La Terrazza, we could dine outside, enjoying the nice weather and sea air, etc. Did have lunch at the pool grill once and that worked well, too.

WINE?: Yes, having that available for lunch and dinner was wonderful. If an offering does not fit your fancy, ask for an alternative and/or another options. They are generally very helpful, responsive and creative. As an example, after returning from our wonderful day in Bordeaux, they offered a nice wine from South Africa. That would have been OK, but I asked about an option from Bordeaux. They said YES and brought a nice wine that better fit with our earlier experience from where we had visited that day and to match our personal interests.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 32,478 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here are a couple of first or second course examples for what we enjoyed, including the pappardelle with duck ragout in La Terrazza and a calamari dish, as I best recall.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201625%201_zpsesw73xyv.jpg

June%202017A%201615%201_zpsv9efn87b.jpg

For a main course, here is a before and after example. I think this was the Osso Buco Primavera. Is my memory working correctly for what was enjoyed at La Terrazza during this evening meal. Did I like this dish? What does the second visual tell you as a hint?:

June%202017A%201616%201_zpsbokchjwr.jpg

June%202017A%201617%201_zpsfccpjbtn.jpg

Here are a couple of other main entree options enjoyed during evening Silver Spirit dining.:

June%202017A%201621%201_zps0r9zya2n.jpg

June%202017A%201623%201_zps0e0detnz.jpg

DESSERTS? Were those available and offered? Of course!! Need some samples? See below. Lots of dessert options. Any of these look familiar to experienced Silversea passengers?

THANKS! Enjoy. Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

First is a cannoli that I enjoyed. Also enjoyed, but not pictured, is Tiramisu in La Terrazza. Finally, shown was a top favorite of a rum-infused pound cake. These pictures have no calories, guaranteed!! On the desserts on the ship have any calories!:

June%202017A%201622%201_zpsexbakuwt.jpg

June%202017A%201624%201_zpscpi0vj5n.jpg

June%202017A%201619%201_zpsrmfsmggd.jpg

June%202017A%201618%201_zpslhdmnxrb.jpg

June%202017A%201614%201_zpsgxivhqk0.jpg

Here are a few other examples for the demanding "life" on the Silver Spirit. Such suffering and burdens to endure?

Super loved so many different parts of the Caribbean in 2015!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples for historic San Juan, etc., at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2264847

From our one breakfast time in the main dining room on a day when our first port stop was not until 1 pm, this was my eggs benedict with some corned beef hash.:

June%202017A%201620%201_zpsbsbifuur.jpg

Here are three other examples showing some of the art items and interior "looks" on the Silver Spirit.:

June%202017A%201617_zpsabvzswpq.jpg

June%202017A%201627%201_zpsn5edbwko.jpg

June%202017A%201616_zpsp6gfwchz.jpg

Lovely food shots Terry! I think you left the marrow in your Osso bucco! Where are the photos of the birthday cake you are making for Penny?

omg.... clear.png?emoji-grin-1677clear.png?emoji-grin-1677clear.png?emoji-grin-1677The Osso Bucco looks fantastic:D........it looks like you have your own private chef:)

Appreciate these nice comments and excellent follow-ups. YES, Spins, I was considering giving that Osso Bucco marrow a try. BUT, my wife, an RN, warned me about the high cholesterol with that marrow. Was she correct? When doing a cruise for your 45th wedding anniversary, I thought it might be smart to listen to her warnings. Plus, it's nice that she wants me to stay healthy and be around longer.

Spins said: "I love that Miro on deck 7. It always makes me happy to look at it." Much of the art on the walls and around the ship is available for purchase. Put it on your credit card and get lots more Frequent Flyer miles!! Aren't I helpful?

For her birthday cake today, my only cooking skills are on the gas grill and with the microwave. Not sure either of those will work in being able to bake a cake. Sorry!

Yes, for Lois, that Osso Bucco not only looked great, but tasted even better. Especially with wine and good company in a wonderful setting. Remember in the main dining room, if you let them know 24-hours ahead, they can provide it, even if not on the menu for that evening. Don't shy in making special requests. YES, for your Silver Spirit sailing next month, it can be like having a PRIVATE CHEF! And with room service, you can have any of the items off of the main dining room served personally to you by your Butler. Is there anything better?

For Athens and nearby, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples from this city that is so great for seeing its great history, style and architecture. This posting is now at 17,190 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Terry

Double up on your statins when you eat the marrow.

Anthony Bourdain calls it "God's butter".

It's one of those things that is a treat.

Do you eat foie gras?

Chocolate mousse?

Those desserts looked high in cholesterol too.

All those things are not for every day.

As for the Miro, I would rather enjoy it while I am on the Spirit.

That way it will never be taken for granted.

I take stuff for high cholesterol too but I really think as much as I do here at home, when I take this cruise I will definitely

eat some REALLY BAD (really good) FOOD:D..........I am pretty strict here and in 3 months time my cholesterol went

down over 100 points:). I doubt it will be too bad if I treat myself to some extraordinary food on this trip

Terry, thanks for sharing your trip. Since you liked Rouen so much. Just thought I would share a picture of the laser light show they do on the Rouen Cathedral. It goes on for a while moving from one scene to the next. Great place to be on a warm summer night.

erE_V1tK0wIQmoPh5A3R7cHTnB4rtqbc3RVLxdwtrRJiCHqjtotjn4doVAiWMSLChsEY_25JyLTgcR-uPeNM0gkOwHh_461Zp49szCrIDbKqgTMZ9QAB3YzFU_g9EX-ungQ-aaUQ54Lt3LPkFxG9fnvDAfku20_-5JvZOBfBftO6fi7pZAQHX3K0xZ0-am9gUury-jXM3RG1Z815tRTFcylWmtgdSJ2wlkrWsl_ScPWwLuuLVM6PVaEGbBn4h9Lt9lY8wIi6pmPNV4atxFDQ7gpPtnNNw7xpXI1cUt4ICiuZDyPx3PD6w-FMNKhsFXtAF_TBFfyVFyLUHmzx3LO-oc_PI_mvW_3CWl7VzVHS8RR54bm_oik6utT66G-0aVMxPnCLXeObq7Jj2R7pgaB2HRvxtzu9U65vxfSywGsQ8SadH0lx_ZYUJWIskKeCr4Kz6jgAYFu7kiZMEtMtErH-cWipswh0FnTVup2fWBBZiOxCTKvi_7pPqF7l3miFB0aYVxV5q550NL52KlXneONxaJ7KbmS5vuM8Sl4VmBcVEGk_XdRjehqyN2pxTiDTGrnViv027GMzQQA58-NfRsuCorKTkKX_d9h3nt_0-0VFvCb9EMClfW_Exg=w887-h633-no

Terry Double up on your statins when you eat the marrow. Anthony Bourdain calls it "God's butter". It's one of those things that is a treat. Do you eat foie gras? Chocolate mousse? Those desserts looked high in cholesterol too. All those things are not for every day. As for the Miro, I would rather enjoy it while I am on the Spirit. That way it will never be taken for granted.

Appreciate the smart added background and comments on marrow, cholesterol, etc., from Candy and Lois. Spins is correct that it is all manageable. Personally, I am not that big of a guy on for foie gras, chocolate, etc. Some things are a little too "rich" for my taste. Right now as we recovered our "body clocks" from the three weeks in Europe, we are wishing to be back on the Silver Spirit and having that service and first-class treatment.

Am still trying to get Spins to spend that money to buy the Miro. BUT, she is too savvy!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 182,310 views for this posting.

Terry, thanks for sharing your trip. Since you liked Rouen so much. Just thought I would share a picture of the laser light show they do on the Rouen Cathedral. It goes on for a while moving from one scene to the next. Great place to be on a warm summer night.

Great tip and pictures on the Rouen night laser program. YES, was aware of that option for the one night when we were there in that French town. BUT, it would have been late at night (due to the sunset time being after 10 pm or so) when we were there. But, by this point in the cruise, we needed to be packed up, ready to go off of the ship early the next morning, etc. PLUS, we needed a little "R&R" time towards the later point of the busy, port-intensive cruise. It will be a great reason to return to Rouen. Wonderful sharing!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 225,726 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry, great pics and commentary about Rouen. Looks like a place we'd enjoy.

But very sad to see that uneaten marrow... I love that stuff. But only once in a while is the key.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I LOVE the marrow too:)...I must have inherited the love from grandparents and parents.........when I was a kid

I remember them sucking it out of chicken bones.......as I have grown up, what If I told you I do the same thing.:eek:

Hi Terry - I just read your latest trip and really enjoyed the commentary and beautiful pictures - I always feel like I am traveling with you! Somehow I had missed this review until today - busy with a big trial ( which we won!) for the last few weeks, and completing the details for our back to back cruises on NCL and Oceania in August to the Norwegian fjords and then Scandinavia/Baltic. Hope you had a wonderful anniversary and happy belated birthday to Penny! Enjoy your grandsons!

Maureen (crimlaw from Denver)

Terry, great pics and commentary about Rouen. Looks like a place we'd enjoy. But very sad to see that uneaten marrow... I love that stuff. But only once in a while is the key.

I LOVE the marrow too...I must have inherited the love from grandparents and parents.........when I was a kid I remember them sucking it out of chicken bones.......as I have grown up, what If I told you I do the same thing.

Appreciate these added comments and "education" about the bone marrow. Now that I have been getting this tutoring on this dining treat, I will not miss the opportunity in the future. Even if loving wife advises me otherwise. Having my annual physical today. Will check for my M.D. opinion.

YES, for J.P., Rouen is a very fascinating and historic city. Loved its architecture, character, style, etc.

Early in this live/blog, I was rather time pressured and could only post a limited amount of info on Lisbon and some other key locations. I will try to catch up. BUT, just got a text message from our son in Charlottesville, Va., that he is leaving now with our two grandsons. They are on their way to Columbus and two weeks of "fun and excitement". Things will be busy!!

For Lisbon, the Jerónimos Monastery or Hieronymites Monastery was one of our super highlights. This former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome is near the Tagus river in the Belém part of Lisbon. The construction of the monastery and church began in 1501 and was completed 100 years later. It was taken over by the government in 1833. The monastery is one of the most prominent examples of the Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture. That design means it has a richly ornate architectural style with complex sculptural themes incorporating maritime elements and objects discovered during naval expeditions. It is carved in limestone. Amazing architectural details to see "up close and personal." It was classified a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the nearby Tower of Belém, in 1983.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 32,581 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here are some more visuals from charming and historic Lisbon. Loved our five days here!! These pictures provide more details, angles and aspects for the Jerónimos Monastery that we visited on a Sunday when their morning mass was being observed. The third picture shows the tomb of famed explorer Vasco da Gama that is located in this church area.:

June%202017A%201636_zps0bg4qycw.jpg

June%202017A%201635_zps2wqbtgql.jpg

June%202017A%201634_zps8ykka1z8.jpg

Within the Jerónimos Monastery, there is a two-story-high cloisters. Here is my wife, Penny, walking and talking with private guide Jose as we toured these cloisters areas.:

June%202017A%201633_zps7wae3t0g.jpg

Nearby to the Jerónimos Monastery is the famed Belém Tower that was part of the protection system at the mouth of the Tagus River and a ceremonial gateway to Lisbon. It was completed in 1519.:

June%202017A%201628_zps0gi8p28f.jpg

At this entrance to the Lisbon harbor, here is the Monument of the Discoveries. It was completed in 1960. Located along the river where ships departed to explore and trade with India and Orient, the monument celebrates the Portuguese Age of Discovery or Exploration) during the peak 15th and 16th centuries when Portugal was so powerful and important. It features and celebrates personally the "Early Navigators".:

June%202017A%201632_zps0sspgjwd.jpg

Hi Terry - I just read your latest trip and really enjoyed the commentary and beautiful pictures - I always feel like I am traveling with you! Somehow I had missed this review until today - busy with a big trial ( which we won!) for the last few weeks, and completing the details for our back to back cruises on NCL and Oceania in August to the Norwegian fjords and then Scandinavia/Baltic. Hope you had a wonderful anniversary and happy belated birthday to Penny! Enjoy your grandsons!

Maureen

Appreciate these nice comments and the follow-ups from Maureen in Colorado. Good luck with your upcoming Baltics and Norway cruises. Let me know any questions or areas where I can be of help.

To continue with added Lisbon visuals not previously posted, here are some connected with the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum that we visited on Sunday afternoon. It has treasures from both the East and the West, collected by just one man who can great wealth from having 5% of the profits from Middle East oil contracts. This is considered one of the world's finest private art collections. Agree!! This collection includes works by Rembrandt, Rubens, Monet and René Lalique. It was well worth the effort to go here.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 217,311 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From Lisbon's Calouste Gulbenkian Museum, here are a few visual samples. Its Middle East tiles, rugs, etc., were amazing here!! The third picture is one of about 120 different pieces by famed artist René Lalique who was a close personal friend of this collector. This museum also has interesting outdoor gardens and water features. Below are baby and mother turtles enjoying the sunny day.:

June%202017A%201642_zpsddkmaijy.jpg

June%202017A%201641_zps5cvzczqe.jpg

June%202017A%201640_zpsteej6hvh.jpg

June%202017A%201639_zpsx7pfniji.jpg

Sunday night we dined at the large market-style, "Time Out" dining location with a wide variety of options for food, drink and desserts. At this large location, second is a picture of a bakery location that makes the famed and wonderful custard treats for which Lisbon is known. Fun place to be that attracts lots of the "locals"!!:

June%202017A%201638_zpsluft6kdj.jpg

June%202017A%201643_zpsxnynuicu.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After returning from our June "adventure" in parts of NW Spain and SW France, I happened across this very special and on-point Rick Steves program that he did for PBS TV about Basque County. Great video, details, background, etc., for much of what we were able to explore last month. We were able to visit and explore the key parts of four of the five town highlighted in this program.

As they noted, this "homeland of the proud and resilient Basque people is split between France and Spain." Much in this program focused on one of our top favorites . . . San Sebastián. As we were able to do, Rick Steves shows and give much more about the ancient Basque capital of Guernica, the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, and visiting part of France for their Basque Country in St. Jean de Luz.

Yes, much was featured and shown in tapa bars, plus aspects for the jai alai games that started in this region. Really enjoyed exploring and learning more about the Basque areas of both countries. This PBS program helped to add to the depth of that knowledge and experience that we enjoyed so much last month. Below are a few visual samples of Rick Steves doing this informative program. It is worth checking out and having these areas on your "to-do" priority list.

Video link to this Rick Steves Basque program:

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 183,274 views for this posting.

Here are four quick visual samples from the half-hour PBS program done by Rick Steves on Basque County. First, Rick is showing some of the great tapa bar food in San Sebastián. Second features Rick with the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao in the background. Yes, we were right there, too! Next is a map showing the towns featured in this area split between these two countries. Fortunately for us, we were able to visit four of these five special towns. Finally, it shows Rick with the beach/resort area of charming San Sebastián. Great memories!!:

June%202017A%201614_zpsjiay9kp0.jpg

June%202017A%201615_zpsejftrvhq.jpg

June%202017A%201616_zpsls4jkvzp.jpg

June%202017A%201617_zpsnbktoe4n.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Terry,

Be sure you pick up today's edition of the Wall Street Journal. In it, you'll find Basque chef Martín Berasategui profiled. He's a culinary rockstar.

Now, I don't like beets. Can't stand them. But, at his restaurant, Bodegón Alejandro, he once served beets prepared six different ways. It looked like art. And, after tasting them I was ready to move to San Sebastián. So, while I won't eat a beet in America, I'll glad devour Mr. Berasategui's.

Terry, Be sure you pick up today's edition of the Wall Street Journal. In it, you'll find Basque chef Martín Berasategui profiled. He's a culinary rockstar. Now, I don't like beets. Can't stand them. But, at his restaurant, Bodegón Alejandro, he once served beets prepared six different ways. It looked like art. And, after tasting them I was ready to move to San Sebastián. So, while I won't eat a beet in America, I'll glad devour Mr. Berasategui's.

Appreciate this great follow-up from our friend in wonderful Colorado. YES, I did see yesterday that Wall Street Journal feature on the well-known San Sebastián chef. Will try to link and share a few highlights on this live/blog from that interesting feature that focuses on the greatness of food in that great part of Spain.

From the Wall Street Journal in late June, they did have this headline: An Insider’s Guide to Touring the French City of Bordeaux with these highlights: Sprawling vineyards, cavernous wine cellars, formal, interminable meals—that’s Bordeaux, right? Yes, but that’s only half the bottle. France’s fifth largest city, Bordeaux rivals Paris when it comes to historical monuments. Among the most notable head-turners: the 15th-century Porte Cailhau, a turreted gate that marks an entrance to the old city, and the imposing Place de la Bourse, built by Louis XV’s architect and livened up considerably with the 2006 addition of the Miroir d’eau (water mirror), a 37,000-square-foot reflecting pool that turns into a spritzing fountain every summer. The city’s newest architectural standout, the year-old La Cité du Vin, is a high-tech wine museum, whose bulbous, gold exterior mimics a glass in mid-swish. Starting this month, the train trip from Paris will clock in at just over two hours, making it even easier to build a few days in Bordeaux.

Fortunately, I am a WSJ subscriber, but for others, sorry, their website has a pesky paywall. If you are planning an upcoming Bordeaux trip, it might be worth checking your library for access to this highly-detailed profile and these many helpful tips, options, potentials, etc. Below are a few sample visuals from their published report. Overall, they had 18 pictures featured, plus a wide variety of tips, places to visit, dining/drinking ideas, shopping spots, etc., from four local Bordeaux experts.

Here is a little more from their profile on one of the top Bordeaux locations that we visited last month: "La Cité du Vin: The top-floor tasting room at the city’s new wine museum grants a panoramic view of the city over the Garonne River. 134-150 quai de Bacalan, laciteduvin.com"

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-insiders-guide-to-touring-the-french-city-of-bordeaux-1498585651?tesla=y

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 226,156 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are some key visual highlights from the Wall Street Journal profile on Bordeaux. Second is one of the nice night photo of the creative/innovative La Cité du Vin structure. Third is an outdoor market within Bordeaux. Fourth is their Le Jardin Public on a busy Sunday.:

June%202017A%201615_zpsrzmwkz7t.jpg

June%202017A%201614_zpsnltxyw8a.jpg

June%202017A%201617_zpsqzvdej3b.jpg

June%202017A%201616_zpsi9bpv9dp.jpg

Hi Terry -

I would love to chat offline with you about your guide in France, before i schedule something rather extensive with him. I just don't know how to go about it without posting my email for all the world to see.

Kate

I just don't know how to go about it without posting my email for all the world to see.

It's got to be clear to you that either you are going to have to post your email, or he is going to have to post his. If the information isn't important enough for you to post *your* email info, certainly you can't expect someone else to post theirs.

So what's your point?

Hi Terry - I would love to chat offline with you about your guide in France, before i schedule something rather extensive with him. I just don't know how to go about it without posting my email for all the world to see. Kate

YES, Kate, happy to be helpful and share more information. Good suggestions were made on connection options. In doing an e-mail spread out in words as done by . . . XXX at XXX dot com, it lessens such problems compared to doing a regular posting for such an address. Let me know what is best for you. Or, just post your detailed questions here and I am happy to respond and share more background.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580