"If only I'd brought..."

le4ne

Crystalspin

Thanks, that is a good, simple explanation. I had never heard it was a problem.

Being curious, I did a little research. Here is a link to a USCG bulletin on the problem:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

Thanks again.

Electricity on the ship is not like at home. There is an explanation on these boards from ChengKP where "cheng" stands for Chief Engineer -- an expert on ships' details! I can't tell you those details (they went over my head), but suffice to say, a device with a surge protector can start a fire. The fire can be anywhere "upstream" of your outlet, not necessarily in your room, so thinking "I'll only use it when I'm in the room" doesn't protect anyone... and besides, have you ever seen how fast a fire can consume a hotel room? Google it.

Also having used something surge protected aboard a ship in the past is no reassurance about the future because it is hit or miss... you wouldn't want to be the "hit"!

More sunscreen than you think you will need, and on a second note there I'll add to use lotion sunscreen instead of spray. If you are new to cruising just take my advice and check out all the people on the 2nd day of your cruise that have the CRAZY sunburn streaks from using spray sunscreen!!! You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it!!! LOL Sunscreen is WAY high on board so be prepared!! I would also recommend an extra pair of flip flops or beach/pool shoes! I had a flip flop blow out on our last cruise and had to buy a pair on board; paid way more than I would normally pay just for beach/pool shoes! I definitely agree with bringing a tervis or yeti to keep your drinks cold but I'd grab a cheapo one at Wal-Mart so you don't have to worry about forgetting or losing an expensive tumbler!!

The only things we pack for cruises that we wouldn't need any other day are:

binoculars

cash

a dry bag backpack (for excursions)

and lanyards for seapass cards

Have fun!

The most memorable things left behind over our four cruises are: GoPro battery and charger, SD cards (left on the ship), socks, and last cruise we didn't realize DH' dress shoes were literally falling apart.

Small envelopes with cash and a pen to label them if you want to tip additional.

Those are supplied complimentary by Guest Services. You don't even have to wait in line. They are kept in a small kiosk on the desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

More sunscreen than you think you will need, and on a second note there I'll add to use lotion sunscreen instead of spray. If you are new to cruising just take my advice and check out all the people on the 2nd day of your cruise that have the CRAZY sunburn streaks from using spray sunscreen!!! You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it!!! LOL Sunscreen is WAY high on board so be prepared!! I would also recommend an extra pair of flip flops or beach/pool shoes! I had a flip flop blow out on our last cruise and had to buy a pair on board; paid way more than I would normally pay just for beach/pool shoes! I definitely agree with bringing a tervis or yeti to keep your drinks cold but I'd grab a cheapo one at Wal-Mart so you don't have to worry about forgetting or losing an expensive tumbler!!
I love the stick deodorant that Neutrogena makes. It also doesn't count as a liquid if you are flying!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

*Post its and a pen or business cards to exchange with people you meet and want to keep in touch with!

* Aloe vera (or some sort of sunburn relief)! Our first day underway the sun totally snuck up on DH and we spent the first bit of time in our first port finding a pharmacy to find some. They didn't have any on the ship and it's harder to find than you would think in a foreign country!

on our very first cruise I totally blanked out and didn't bring rubber flip-flops for beach/pool/upper decks. I don't know what I was thinking. I had to wear my dressy shoes to the pool (they were ruined) and sneakers to the beach and tubing (they were ruined as well). Hubs forgot his toothbrush.

Now that we are older and travel with a kid, we also have to pack up our entire pharmacy...

If you are going to Princess Cay, water shoes are a must...

Battery operated nightlight is great for the bathrooms on any cruiselines and inside Royal Caribbean rooms (we found no usable outlets), and plug-in nightlights for inside rooms are fine for Regal and Caribbean Princess.

We don't bring ducktape or magnets. No use for those.

It's better to have SPF lotion in bottles instead of sprays for ship use. OK to use sprays on shore. Too windy for sprays on the ship (and you can't spray inside unless you want to inhale that stuff).

Make sure sun hats are snug, or they'll fly away on the ship.

We also bring Lysol wipes and wipe down our seats on the plane (plus window and folding trays), and the entire room on the cruise. They were very useful.

The best item I have brought for a cruise is an over the door shoe organizer. The clear one. We hung it on the door in our tiny bathroom. Awesome for everything. Sunscreen, sunglasses, medication, make-up.

+1 I hand it on the outside of the bathroom door and store all that little stuff that usually lays around on the small desk area. Easily accessible to bathroom too!

I always stand one of my suitcases up in the closet and leave the zipper open at the top, and then use it as my dirty clothes hamper. Makes packing to go home easier too, most clothes are already in the suitcase.

Holy ****! I have never thought of that and it's genius! :cool:

Two large print books in case one is boring. Even if you do not have presbyopia, at night when tired the large print makes reading easier. Many public libraries have large print books. Also, I am probably aging myself, but Adult absorbent briefs for air turbulence, shore excursions, etc. Even if you do not need to use them, one pair per day cuts down on the laundry to bring home. I have a day pill container for high bp pills, tylenol, etc. which I keep in my purse. The original medications in the labelled bottles stay in the room so that if my purse is stolen, I am OK. Two pairs of eye glasses with a good prescription and keep one pair in the cabin. At least 2 pairs of walking shoes. I have travelled a lot but want to take my first cruise. I am a bit nervous. :')

The electrical plug-in with multiple outlets. Think about it. Plugs in a cabin are few. And you have hearing aids, iPad, computer, camera battery, electric toothbrush, your own electric clock, battery operated travel phone, maybe a rechargeable flashlight, and various other items with rechargeable batteries. I don't take a walkie-talkie, but some folks do. A power strip is invaluable and will get a lot of use.

The electrical plug-in with multiple outlets. Think about it. Plugs in a cabin are few. And you have hearing aids, iPad, computer, camera battery, electric toothbrush, your own electric clock, battery operated travel phone, maybe a rechargeable flashlight, and various other items with rechargeable batteries. I don't take a walkie-talkie, but some folks do. A power strip is invaluable and will get a lot of use.

Please remember, Power strips CAN NOT have surge suppressors built in. If you need a strip, go buy a cheap, non-suppressed one.

I've only sailed on Carnival. They have nice pieces of fruit at the breakfast and lunch buffet; whole apples, oranges, big pieces of melon. I really enjoy a sliced apple or orange, but don't like to eat them whole (kinda drippy and messy). I always forget to pack a little sharp knife. Trying to slice an apple or peel an orange (or even cut the melon up a little smaller) is awkward, to say the least, with a butter knife. I'm hoping to remember my sharp knife next cruise.

might be a bit of a problem with customs these days with sharp knives:D

might be a bit of a problem with customs these days with sharp knives:D

I am not sure about the other cruiselines but Carnival does not allow knives with blades longer than 4 inches. RCCL says no knives.

Ambesol is case of a tooth ache.

Battery operated tea candles for the bathroom.

A couple of laundry pods, that saves 3.00 bucks per wash.

extra batteries for anything I am bringing that needs batteries (not one AA on the ship in glacier bay-boy did I feel stupid-no pics!)

a shawl for dining in the dining room, sometimes it's cold, but that's because the waiters work so hard.

I absolutely cannot imagine travelling without my Kindle now that I have one. I'm one of those people who just can't sleep in a moving car or on a plane, so having dozens of books on hand in a device smaller than a single paperback is so useful. Plus the battery lasts days on a single charge—I fully charged it before we left last year and it lasted me the whole trip. I also like that you can read it at night/in the dark without needing a reading light, so I don't disturb my boyfriend when he's trying to sleep.

I also try to remember to pack at least one set of earbuds per person. If the passenger wants to listen to music/audiobooks/podcasts in the car, but the driver wants something else, one person can have the radio and the other person can listen to whatever they want on their phone/iPod. I still have an iPod, since I don't want to put all of my music on my phone, and it's actually great to keep in the car for long trips.