13 year old using fitness center

Maybe the same reason in the gym. Seems a double standard.

I suppose you could look at it that way, though the gym equipment usage pattern and loading is different than the Solarium. People don't generally reserve a gym machine all day.

The way I see it, for people serious about working out, this is the only area with weights and machines so all should be welcomed, with respect to age and supervision of the younger cruisers. There are plenty of "hangout" areas for everyone so different areas are designated adult or kids only.

I don't mind cruising with kids, and will happily share many spaces with them. But having a place to go that is JUST for adults is such a nice treat when hubby and I want to get away. It has nothing to do with how well behaved or not kids are in the space...and EVERYTHING to do with being able to relax as an adult with no kiddos around. With an entire ship to share, carving out that tiny space for adults only seems pretty fair... [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I dunno....I've been in plenty of places where it's impossible to relax with only adults around.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to come back and share our experience regarding this. It didn't quite go as planned. We went on the first day and talked with a woman, explained why he wanted to use the gym, with all 3 of us there. She went and spoke with a manager who then told us we could sign a waiver and he would get a wristband to use the equipment without us. We told them his age, that he was a competitive swimmer, etc... However, 2 or 3 days later when we came back to do this, the 2 men we talked to told us no, he couldn't use it at all. Then they said, well, if you stay, then he can. I just didn't like the mixed answers. Not only that, 2 of the other kids from the teen club with our son said they just walked in and used things. Although other kids were screwing around and got kicked out, as they should. As I said, I have no problem with rules and safety, but it should be more standard and enforced the same. He did use it the one day, my husband went with him. But the days we were in port, we walked usually 8-9 miles, so on the sea days, he was pretty tired! LOL!

I wanted to come back and share our experience regarding this. It didn't quite go as planned. We went on the first day and talked with a woman, explained why he wanted to use the gym, with all 3 of us there. She went and spoke with a manager who then told us we could sign a waiver and he would get a wristband to use the equipment without us. We told them his age, that he was a competitive swimmer, etc... However, 2 or 3 days later when we came back to do this, the 2 men we talked to told us no, he couldn't use it at all. Then they said, well, if you stay, then he can. I just didn't like the mixed answers. Not only that, 2 of the other kids from the teen club with our son said they just walked in and used things. Although other kids were screwing around and got kicked out, as they should. As I said, I have no problem with rules and safety, but it should be more standard and enforced the same. He did use it the one day, my husband went with him. But the days we were in port, we walked usually 8-9 miles, so on the sea days, he was pretty tired! LOL!

Shouldn't have gave the mixed answers, though I do understand Parent needing to be there they should have be consistent. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Shouldn't have gave the mixed answers, though I do understand Parent needing to be there they should have be consistent. Thanks for sharing your experience.

That's what I didn't like either. In fact, I was prepared for them to tell me that on the first day we stopped in to ask about it. And then we would have planned on times to go with him. But because we were told he wouldn't need us to stay, we weren't planning on it. So I just walked down there with the intention of signing paperwork and leaving. I have no problem with it, but I don't like inconsistent answers. I also felt the 2 guys reaction was somewhat condescending, but more towards the fact that someone else told us something different. It wasn't the end of the world by any means, I just wanted to at least let the people who had responded to this initial post know what happened.

BTW - he had his swim meet this weekend. Unfortunately, his times did go up a little bit, but he still earned a 5th place medal for his 200 Fly. Granted, there were only 5 kids who swam it, but still, he was pretty excited! And it shows how hard that event is, out of about 450 kids at this swim meet, he was 1 of only 5 kids in his age group to even qualify to swim that event! For a kid who started doing this just barely 2 years ago - pretty darn proud mom here!! :hearteyes:

My 13 year old son goes to the gym with me sometimes. He uses the machines properly and is respectful of other patrons. I intend on bringing him to gym with me on LOS. I think your son should go to the gym if he wants. Have a great trip!

We're already back, I posted updates...

The 200 fly is a hard event, so congratulations on him doing it. My DD is a flyer too so I know with his pain.

It does stink that you got inconsistent answers. He should have been allowed with parental supervision.

If I was you on future cruises I would just go work out, with a parent. Don't even talk to the staff about it.

The 200 fly is a hard event, so congratulations on him doing it. My DD is a flyer too so I know with his pain.

It does stink that you got inconsistent answers. He should have been allowed with parental supervision.

If I was you on future cruises I would just go work out, with a parent. Don't even talk to the staff about it.

Thanks! And yes, it's so hard! He somehow took to it naturally, surprising his coaches about a year ago. Considering he didn't start this kind of swimming until 2 years ago, when he was 12, it's really amazing, IMO! ;)

And yeah, I wish we had just gone in with him and done what we wanted. My fault for trying to do it the honest way! :(