Packing light. How to? Your tips.

jeffdal

Nizzie, What packing app do you use? Very helpful hints.

It's called "Packing Pro" - I don't know if there's an Android version but this is the Apple one:

Packing Pro by Quinn Genzel

https://appsto.re/us/Z-mNs.i

I use it for cruising, land trips, camping, weekends, whatever. I've gone through the Master Catalog and deleted anything that doesn't pertain (for instance, we are childless so the Babies and Kids categories are pointless) and added a ton of my own categories and individual items. I use it for my pre-travel to-do's and my post-trip checklist as well.

I love that I can set up bags by description (and give each an icon and a photo!) and assign items to a bag, and/or a person. You can even take pictures of individual items in your list.

I adore this app so much (the anal-retentive side of me particularly) that every time I set up a trip I go into the Info area and send the developer a tip (in-app purchase) because it is that awesome. Your mileage may vary of course, my very-Type-B brother tried it and said it was far too deep and fussy. I like it though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

$109 a week covers a lot of hassle factor. I think I would bring some detergent and wash in the sink for that price.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Forums mobile app

What does this mean?

We put out our laundry each morning in a bag. and have it back beautifully ironed and folded or hanging by 5 each night. Per person, that's less than the price of one drink per day. And no sort-of clean underwear hanging all around the cabin!

I'm never sure why people won't spend a small amount of money for such a great convenience. Also works exceptionally well if you are traveling before or after the cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
I pack too much no matter how hard I try. What are your tips?

Budget funds for dry cleaning/laundry.

Pack less clothing and have items cleaned while on the cruise!

ie: in the months leading up to your cruise, skip a few dining out meals.

It should not be hard to accumulate 100.00 in savings.

Use these funds for your dry cleaning/laundry budget! :cool:

We did the unlimited laundry package as well. My mom thought " They cook and serve your food, make the bed daily and deliver your washed and ironed clothes - talk about a fantasy life come true!"

I brought two pair of shoes: a nicer one for dinner, and the other one. Unless you have a particularly memorable piece of apparel, no one cares if it makes a reappearance later! I don't bring a laptop, so electronics don't take up a lot of space packing.

Black! Even if you get ketchup on it, it won't show. Black pants, black shorts, black long dress (for me) that goes to the beach and also to the dining room. Nobody but you knows how many times you wore your black clothes, or where.

Also, I agree, laundry. My chosen cruise line doesn't have the daily laundry deal, but offers a bag you can fill for 30 bucks. I'm not shy. I roll and stuff that bag to bursting halfway through the cruise. Voila, fresh skivvies, socks and t-shirts all the way home!

• 5 weeks later...

Pack your suitcase. Take everything out. Put in 1/2 and still re-think if you need everything ( especially shoes ). Mix and match your clothes to make them go farther. The materials now are wonderful for hand washing in the cabin and hanging in the shower if you need too. 1 pair of dress shoes,1 flip flop and 1 well broken in tennis or walking shoes for the ports ( 3 total ) is all you really need. I have seen so many passengers complaining of blisters from their new tennis shoes it isn't funny!! If you are on a southern cruise a sun dress will cover your swimsuit anyway so day time will be almost nothing. No one remembers what you wear and you can pick up t shirts in the ports if you need one. Also the ship will have a special for their laundry service one day. It is hard to not stress about '' I might not be taking enough '' but you will be glad you didn't do it once you get home. A small carry-on and back pack is all I ever took for my seven day cruises. Please don't worry too much. The cruises are much more casual now, so go and have fun. Enjoy your cruise.

We are on a 7 day Mediterranean cruise late October followed by a transatlantic cruise arriving in Florida mid November. Any hints on what to pack? Hot and cold?

Just my personal suggestions:

You will likely have a few 70-80 degree days while you are in the Mediterranean but cool days are also likely. Plan on a light to medium jacket and/or sweater for your shore visits. The jacket and sweater will also serve you well on the trans-Atlantic.

Lots of "down time" on the trans-Atlantic portion so using the ship's laundry services or doing laundry yourself is quick and easy. No need to bring a large variety of clothes for the trans-Atlantic; repeat your daily outfits. No one will really notice nor will they care.

Bring a travel size clothing freshener spray. It will help you re-wear things and have them still smell fresh. There's going to be some tops that can't be worn again though no matter what if you go on excursions and it's really hot. Shorts I can get away with wearing several times.

Thank you for your advice. I guess I better go shopping.

Just my personal suggestions:

You will likely have a few 70-80 degree days while you are in the Mediterranean but cool

days are also likely. Plan on a light to medium jacket and/or sweater for your shore visits. The jacket and sweater will also serve you well on the trans-Atlantic.

Lots of "down time" on the trans-Atlantic portion so using the ship's laundry services or doing laundry yourself is quick and easy. No need to bring a large variety of clothes for the trans-Atlantic; repeat your daily outfits. No one will really notice nor will they care.

I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

Bring a travel size clothing freshener spray. It will help you re-wear things and have them still smell fresh. There's going to be some tops that can't be worn again though no matter what if you go on excursions and it's really hot. Shorts I can get away with wearing several times.

We did the other direction in March, 26-day cruise, plus the days on airplanes from and to California. With carryon suitcases and daypacks. I did all the laundry with 1/4 sheets of EZ-wash, but if I had it to do again I would only wash the small items and use ship's laundry for shirts and pants. I have a detailed list of everything we took, but choices of clothing is pretty personal so I don't know if it would be useful. Write me if you do: my CC ID at that yodel sound .com.

Also every one has their own way to pack. I personally do the bundle method. In each bundle or packet I have my clean undies and socks added to it . That way you just pick up the bundle and all your clothes are neatly together in one place in your suitcase. I hardly ever have any wrinkles this way. Travel Smith has a video of how to do it this way, or they did. I buy the large 2 gallon good zip lock bags too put my dirty undies in so they don't smell up my bag. A cardboard scented air freshner is great to put in the bag also to keep everything fresh. Also take a travel size of wrinkle remover with you. I carry it in a zip lock bag. I love the travel isle in the dept stores. There are so many great things you can get cheaply. Have a great time.

I am wondering if dresses or coloured jeans are appropriate weather-wise. We have only done Caribbean cruises so it was easy to choose. For this I don't know if I should pack 1/3rd hot and 2/3rds cold or what. Sandals or close-toed shoes? I know now to buy a jacket/coat.

We did the other direction in March, 26-day cruise, plus the days on airplanes from and to California. With carryon suitcases and daypacks. I did all the laundry with 1/4 sheets of EZ-wash, but if I had it to do again I would only wash the small items and use ship's laundry for shirts and pants. I have a detailed list of everything we took, but choices of clothing is pretty personal so I don't know if it would be useful. Write me if you do: my CC ID at that yodel sound .com.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a travel sized wrinkle remover. That sounds like an essential item to add to my shopping list. Thank you.

Also every one has their own way to pack. I personally do the bundle method. In each bundle or packet I have my clean undies and socks added to it . That way you just pick up the bundle and all your clothes are neatly together in one place in your suitcase. I hardly ever have any wrinkles this way. Travel Smith has a video of how to do it this way, or they did. I buy the large 2 gallon good zip lock bags too put my dirty undies in so they don't smell up my bag. A cardboard scented air freshner is great to put in the bag also to keep everything fresh. Also take a travel size of wrinkle remover with you. I carry it in a zip lock bag. I love the travel isle in the dept stores. There are so many great things you can get cheaply. Have a great time.

I always carry a small squeeze bottle with Woolite. I use this to wash out some thing (those that dry quickly) in the sink. My underpants (Duluth Trading Company) and socks are things I commonly do.

Also some synthetic polo shirts