Saga Cruises

babs135

UK companies like Saga - as well as Noble Caledonia and Fred Olsen - have virtually no internet presence and that's exactly what they like. I have used Saga and NC (not Fred) and saw hardly anyone ever use a computer and then only for phone calls. I've never met a single passenger on those ships who has ever heard of Cruise Critic. One or two venture on to Trip Advisor's Cruise Forum. I once strongly criticised Noble Caledonia and their appalling ship Serenissima on the TA Cruise Forum and got banned from ever taking another cruise with them - and that's after I had taken about 10 previous cruises with them! Talk about touchy!

This ban led me to Regent, Silversea and Seabourn whose management and passengers are much more savvy about the internet. And I think some Saga and NC passengers would be truly shocked by just how much higher the standards are on those ships.

Edited by Fletcher

This ban led me to Regent, Silversea and Seabourn whose management and passengers are much more savvy about the internet. And I think some Saga and NC passengers would be truly shocked by just how much higher the standards are on those ships.

Higher standards? What about the massively higher prices!

On the Saga cruise we’ve booked we will have free WiFi. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fletcher - that must have been some review to get yourself banned from a cruise line.

We have cruised a number of times with Regent and Silversea (and a number of others) - both are quite expensive,

Generally now especially for cruises sailing from USA or cruising to South America we find that for about the same money we can fly Business with a premium carrier, stay a few nights, have a balcony cabin where we want on someone like Princess / Celebrity / Cunard / Oceania - not on a resort ship of course. Not being big drinkers the all inclusive drinks don't add much.

Alan

Higher standards? What about the massively higher prices!

On the Saga cruise we’ve booked we will have free WiFi. [emoji57]

I think overall Saga are as expensive as Seabourn etc. Noble Caledonia are perhaps even more expensive. You also have to factor in things like open bars, excursions, gratuities and so on. These are variables dependent on the cruise line.

Saga offer this chauffeur service which is definitely a selling point. Also visas and insurance for anyone and everyone. Given that a large number of Saga passengers have health issues the insurance must also be a big selling point. However, a Saga regular and occasional on-board lecturer tells me that the insurance thing might be coming to an end. And when the new ships come on stream they will offer cruises which involve air travel and it seems Saga is planning to charge £800 per person as an additional insurance fee to cover the flights.

We'll see.

the older generation are less comfortable with technology.

There a certainly a lot who seem to take a pride in not understanding "all that techmology", but some of them are quite happy to use their mobile phones, even during presentations when they should be on mute at least, if not off altogether. I only switch my phone if I want to make a call. I don't walk about with earphones talking to myself.

late 60’s programming in Assembler on a 16K Honeywell complete with flashing lights, card reader and whirring tape decks
Ah the same era, I was just ahead of you but not by much. I started on Leo/II which was binary and only experts could program it. Then went on to 1401/7010 which was decimal and easy, everyone in systems could program it. Then ended up on S360/370 and the later ones which went back to binary and needed experts again. We lived through several years of problems while IBM learned how to write software properly. Then Microsoft came along and they still haven't learnt yet.

but really dislike the airports and flying, so at some point soon we will decide to sail exclusively from the UK
We haven't flown for many years, we like flying but won't put up with the pseudo security nonsense. I can think of several ways to get round some of their silly checks and refuse to pay £5 to replace the sealed bottle of water that they just confiscated. And getting to the airport three hours before the flight only to have it delayed another two hours. You'll find Saga chauffeur service so much more civilized. There is a security check at the port, but it is reasonable and far less hassle. The only downer is that it is such a long cruise to get to Antarctic we would get problems with the house insurance (premises empty for too long)

UK companies like Saga - as well as Noble Caledonia and Fred Olsen - have virtually no Internet presence

I don't understand what you mean. They all have web sites and they all provide Internet. Some Internet services are better than others but I have used them OK on Saga, Fred Oulsen and CMV. On the Saga Pearl Internet was not available in the cabins, you had to go to a public area, but we found it would work from the cabins in the quieter periods.

We are big fans of Seabourn - and have cruised the other little 'luxury' lines - but being now both less than brilliant at walking any distance, and hating the wasted time and general annoyingness of airports, have opted recently for Saga Pearl, admittedly a small old ship, sadly going away in February, and been pleasantly surprised by how much we have enjoyed it. The journeys to and from the ship by chauffeur driven car or small people carrier make such a difference, and the included insurance helps also for those with a few medical issues. By the way, the internet is included, and there are always a few people using the desktops in the library. And the 'included' wines are comparable to those on Seabourn, though with less choice.

The new ship looks lovely - all balcony, several restaurants etc., but will have 1,000 passengers. I daresay she will be doing fly-cruises; the time spent at sea to get anywhere from Dover or Southampton will probably put some people off. But for those who really do not want to fly I hope that she will continue to sail from home ports, at least some of the time.

Points from earlier posts

I can think of several ways to get round some of their silly checks and refuse to pay £5 to replace the sealed bottle of water that they just confiscated.

If you haven't flown for several years you may find "getting round security" very difficult now - but why would you want to! they are there for my protection - I go along with the security scans and sometimes removing my belt and shoes.

Certainly at Heathrow and Gatwick there are water bottle filling stations air side - so we take water in reusable bottles - drink what we want land side, and fill it up air side - I don't ever buy water if I can avoid it.

We only do Norway and Northern lights from Southampton (Feb 2019 P&O Feb 2020 Saga Spirit) -

We would rather not put up with the long drag at sea to get to anywhere interesting - We like the idea of getting off the plane in a foreign location - so for our Christmas 2018 / New year 2019 cruise round the Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale, we fly Virgin Business, and stay 3 nights in a Hilton.

Saga insurance must be a bonus - on Saga Spirit of Discovery in Feb 2020 we get a refund of about £200 because we have our own annual policy.

On the point of added extras we get free laundry, a stocked refrigerator, free internet with Princess, we get other perks with Celebrity, plus some with Regent

Alan

I think overall Saga are as expensive as Seabourn etc. Noble Caledonia are perhaps even more expensive. You also have to factor in things like open bars, excursions, gratuities and so on. These are variables dependent on the cruise line.

Saga offer this chauffeur service which is definitely a selling point. Also visas and insurance for anyone and everyone. Given that a large number of Saga passengers have health issues the insurance must also be a big selling point. However, a Saga regular and occasional on-board lecturer tells me that the insurance thing might be coming to an end. And when the new ships come on stream they will offer cruises which involve air travel and it seems Saga is planning to charge £800 per person as an additional insurance fee to cover the flights.

We'll see.

We’ve booked 7 nights on Spirit of Discovery for less than £1,300. I have never seen Seabourn cruises at that price, no matter what it includes. Wine with meals is plenty for us, we know the Norwegian ports and will be happy not to spend a fortune on shore excursions. Saga have tips included so that won’t cost extra.

However, we have annual travel insurance and only £26 pp is removed from the price, so that’s no great saving.

As I said, we’re keen to try a new cruise experience. If Saga doesn’t work out for us they won’t have our future business. If we like it, great. [emoji3]

We’ve booked 7 nights on Spirit of Discovery for less than £1,300.

Which cruise is that, if you don't mind me asking? We've booked a 10 night cruise and it's over £2200pp. We booked early, having registered for the new ship by paying £90pp. We've registered again for 2020.

Which cruise is that, if you don't mind me asking? We've booked a 10 night cruise and it's over £2200pp. We booked early, having registered for the new ship by paying £90pp. We've registered again for 2020.

5th September 2019. That price available with agents and on Saga website.

Given that a large number of Saga passengers have health issues the insurance must also be a big selling point.

Hello. I'm new to Saga cruising and have been looking for information online, which as has already been mentioned seems to be scarce. But I have seen several references to the insurance being a reason why people with health issues choose to cruise Saga. I don't understand why. When I read the insurance information it seemed no different to any other policy in that if you have medical conditions you must declare them or they won't be covered.

Am I missing something?

but why would you want to! they are there for my protection

I have no desire to get round the checks. My point was that the checks they were doing when I last traveled were "lip service" and not effectual.

We would rather not put up with the long drag at sea to get to anywhere interesting
We would rather have a relaxing sea journey than the drag at the airport, plus no luggage restrictions. Each to his own.

I don't understand what you mean. They all have web sites and they all provide Internet. Some Internet services are better than others but I have used them OK on Saga, Fred Oulsen and CMV. On the Saga Pearl Internet was not available in the cabins, you had to go to a public area, but we found it would work from the cabins in the quieter periods.

Yes, the companies have websites. What I meant was that hardly any passengers write about their experiences on Saga, Fred and NobleCaledonia etc. On the other hand, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea have an army of bloggers disseminating opinion and advice.

a reason why people with health issues choose to cruise Saga. I don't understand why. When I read the insurance information it seemed no different to any other policy

I have a Saga annual policy and we only got a £26 reduction. I think the reduction depends on the length of the cruise.

I too have seen people suggest that ill people choose Saga because of the insurance. Maybe that is just a belief rather than knowledge. I can imagine some people with health problems think that they can get away with not declaring issues, which they can providing nothing goes wrong. If you give an insurance company wriggle room, they will use it to avoid paying out. I have only done one Saga cruise but there were no more geriatric cruisers on it than on any other cruise we have done. In fact there no wheel chairs, just walkers and sticks.

Also most lines insist on you having insurannce, if not you have to buy their offering. The only difference I see is that Saga include it in the price with a rebate if not needed and others add it as an extra.

People think Saga are expensive, they are if you compare the advertised price for the cruise across different lines. What you really need to compare is the final cost. On other lines the on board bill which you pay at the end could be as much as the initial payment before the cruise.

It reminds me of the cheap flights; £10 to New York. Oh you want a seat, that'll be extra. Oh you've got luggage, that'll be extra. Oh you want refreshments, that'll be extra. Oh you want to use the toilet, that'll be extra. At least with Saga you know roughly what the cruise will cost you.

I think that Spirit of Discovery will attract a new, rather younger (say 50 to 65) group of Brits who currently cruise with P and O and Cunard, for example.

I don't know if Saga ups the insurance premium if you have lots wrong with you, as we have just the odd blood pressure medication to declare, but I would guess that the comparatively expensive cost of the cruises covers the insurance for those who have do have more problems to declare. I would hope that everyone has the sense to declare what they need to, as you are certainly not covered if the insurers find out you have told some porkies in your answers to the questions and then have problems associated with known conditions while supposedly covered.

I think that Spirit of Discovery will attract a new, rather younger (say 50 to 65) group of Brits who currently cruise with P and O and Cunard, for example.

I don't know if Saga ups the insurance premium if you have lots wrong with you, as we have just the odd blood pressure medication to declare, but I would guess that the comparatively expensive cost of the cruises covers the insurance for those who have do have more problems to declare. I would hope that everyone has the sense to declare what they need to, as you are certainly not covered if the insurers find out you have told some porkies in your answers to the questions and then have problems associated with known conditions while supposedly covered.

Spirit of Discovery has attracted me and I'm at the low end of the Saga age group. I've only cruised Disney and Celebrity previously, the 'British' lines never appealed and certainly not Saga. But the new Saga ships look as if they may suit me very well and, compared to travelling solo with other lines, I've found the cost very competitive.

Ref the insurance premium, from what the Saga agent said to me I understand that they either accept your medical conditions or they don't, they don't increase the premium. Of course I've no idea what conditions they will accept but, thinking about it, if they cover a good range that would cost extra elsewhere, it would explain why it is seen as a major benefit.

I have only done one Saga cruise but there were no more geriatric cruisers on it than on any other cruise we have done. In fact there no wheel chairs, just walkers and sticks.

We've done 2 Saga cruises, and that's been our experience too. There were a couple of walkers on the last cruise but, unlike on other ships, their users didn't ram our heels or shove us out of the way with them. Lovely people seem to take Saga cruises.

I have just started a roll call

What a good idea. As it is so hard to find roll calls in the melee of Other Cruise Lines, when you start a thread, post a link in here. At least this thread has Saga Cruises as its title so people are likely to look in here.