Saga Cruises

babs135

11 hours ago, cinnamon said:

The CC revamp has made it very difficult to find the threads we’ve posted on before. Very happy to be back now, I hope others find it again too. 

I agree Corinne, but I'm hoping it gets easier with time. Not having an App seems a retrograde step though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a slight word of warning to anyone travelling or thinking of it on Pearl -  the one lift near the stern does not always work, and the disabled toilet on promenade deck is out of order most of the time.  This may  affect those who do not walk easily, or are in a wheelchair.

Obviously these sort of problems are unlikely to happen on the brand new ship!  And otherwise Pearl is lovely - just getting a bit long in the tooth - like some of us.

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking of Sapphire next year, as dear old Pearl will no longer be around.  On our one cruise on Sapphire - which was all inclusive, as they now will all be - we found the two bars, Aviators  and Coopers, always completely full each evening before dinner.  Am I right in thinking these are the only watering holes on Sapphire, or is there anywhere else - preferably also open before lunch for a quick snifter?  Advice from fellow enjoyers of the odd drink before meals welcome!

We've done 2 cruises on Sapphire and, yes, you're right (I think) that they're the only 2 bars. We always seemed to manage to get a perch before lunch in Aviators, even if it was on the padded windowsill. In the evenings, Coopers was often quite empty, so we always got a seat. 

I could swear I bought a nightcap in the Drawing Room on my one Sapphire cruise, but that was three years ago so false memory syndrome may have kicked in. Daytime drinks were served around the pool and at the Verandah if the weather was reasonable enough to sit outside.

Thanks for this information. I must admit I can't imagine that there would be no drinks (other than wine or beer with meals) served on the verandah deck, but can't remember.  The bar arrangements on Pearl were so generous - Shackleton's, a large area, open all day from 10 a.m., and the nice little Sundowner bar with service outside also open the same hours.  Never a problem in getting a seat, or in being served.  However, there is little  doubt in my mind that the amount of space per drinker is a lot greater on Pearl than on Sapphire.  Hope I am wrong!

To clarify my reply (post 104), one of our cruises was a Christmas Markets, and the other was from Southampton to the Canaries, and we had rough seas enroute. Therefore, maybe we didn't see outdoor bars. When we reached better weather in the Canaries, drinks were certainly served outdoors at during the daytime. Don't worry. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks, Wacktle  (neighbour!) I feel sure you are right - my memory of our own previous Sapphire cruise is now a bit vague, but it has to be at least as good as Pearl in having bars open indoors and outdoors for most of the day, I feel sure.  Just the maddening memory of people not being willing to move up a bit on the long seat at the back of Aviators, when you did not get there by probably 6 at the latest!   I must try to always see the glass half full!   It was a winter cruise we were on, so not a lot of time out of doors, which does tend to mean the indoor parts of the ship getting a bit crowded at times.

• 5 weeks later...

I am posting here just to get Saga back on top of the leaderboard for a while!  It is obvious that Saga cruisers do not need their own forum.

Anyhow, would love to hear from any who have cruised recently/ are about to, on a Saga ship.  We are going on one of the last on Pearl, before she disappears who knows where - I will try to find out.

We are off to Norway in 8 weeks or so on Sapphire.

We made the mistake of booking through our usual TA, Saga will not allow us to manage our booking so are having to wait patiently for our excursions brochure. Our TA has requested that they post it directly to us, hopefully we will get it in the coming week. 

For potential newbies to Saga I can only advise, book direct.

In spite of their lack of cooperation we have booked a Canaries cruise on the new Spirit of Adventure.

Book early and book direct.

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

We have so far just booked direct with Saga, and found the ground staff very helpful and pleasant.  I don't  know if you get any reduction by booking through a TA - I suspect not.  Would like to know, however.

No, the TAs are not allowed to discount Saga’s cruises.

We did get a sweetener on a pre booked cruise though, but in spite of this it wouldn’t be worth it to us, from the experience we have had.

1 hour ago, cinnamon said:

We got a discount by booking through an agent for Spirit of Discovery next September. It’s our first Saga cruise but we’ve always used agents and got discounts with several different lines. 

We were given a reduction on a cruise we had booked with the same agent when we booked our Saga cruise. Have you been allowed to go into 'manage my booking'? 

We really like the look of these new ships, amenity wise and size wise, so much so that we now have 2 booked for 2020 and one in 2019.

51 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

We were given a reduction on a cruise we had booked with the same agent when we booked our Saga cruise. Have you been allowed to go into 'manage my booking'? 

We really like the look of these new ships, amenity wise and size wise, so much so that we now have 2 booked for 2020 and one in 2019. 

I haven’t attempted any follow up as yet. Lots of other trips and events before then. We probably won’t do anything else about this cruise until early summer. 

Corinne

51 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

• 4 weeks later...

I have just had an email from Jack at Saga cruises to tell me I have won a prize in the Facebook Advent Calendar competition held in December. It's a copy of Sir Ranulph  Fiennes new book. That's my son's birthday present sorted as he is a huge fan of Sir Ranulph.  

Would have been nice if it had been the free cruise though! 😄

Edited by Lottie A

They certainly do!  If that is what you want - personally I find it embarrassing to have several songs, accompanied by guitars, at the table near the end of the meal, and also don't see the need for the cake, as you have already all had your dinner.  However, each to his/her own.

We recently had an anniversary on board, and didn't tell anyone until the next day - otherwise you have 'Let me call you sweetheart' sung to you.  But everyone else enjoys it, so if it is your thing let them know (they may already have worked it out from your passport).

I'm with you on the singing around the table, when I was presented with the cake on Cunard it was very discreetly done, the cake was delicious though.

The maitre d' sent it to our stateroom where we popped it into the fridge and enjoyed it on our balcony with a glass of fizz.

🍰  🥂 🍰

So basically if we don't say anything we won't be serenaded?

I think we will try and book East to West for my birthday night as soon as we embark.

Hope you have good time. Definitely SAGA worked extremely hard to make birthdays special when we were away before Christmas. They sang some songs and gave the person a cake after their evening meal. Enjoy and happy birthday too ! 

Thank you for your good wishes 😃

I honestly don't know if they work out your birthday from your passport - do mention it in case they do not.  Obviously they do not know your anniversary day from their records.

If you are not keen on the singing, let them know, and make sure your fridge is switched on for  your cake!  Happy Birthday anyway, and I personally loved East to West, both for the food and the ambiance, and they would not normally I think do the singing in there.

Thanks lincslady for your good wishes.

I'm beginning to get excited about our cruise now. I've only been on Saga once before on a 4 night port intensive 'taster' cruise.

This one will enable us to experience the ship more as we have quite a few sea days.

I don't think we will be eating out on deck though!

We've never considered Saga Cruises, being fans of Regent Seven Seas and Oceania, but were attracted by the Sceptred Isles itinerary on the Spirit of Adventure advertised by an online TA - many ports of call we already know and love wrapped up in one cruise package.  It seemed very good value so we booked straight away.  It will be quite a while (September 2020) before we know if this was a wise decision!