Need Paris hotel advice

love to cruz

First we would like to thank Ptrpanpens for the kind words. That is what makes spending time here worth while :). Regarding the question about A/C...many Paris hotels and other sleeping options DO NOT have A/C. So if you are going to be in Paris during the hotter months then you certainly might want to find a place with A/C. Also consider that if you are going to get a room (or place) without A/C...you will likely want to keep the windows open which means its smart to avoid being on a very busy street, over a nightclub, etc.

I will again reiterate a few relevant ideas to help with hotel selection. Paris is a city of neighborhoods, each of which has its own personality as well as pros and cons. Do some research about the different neighborhoods (called Arrondisements) which should help you to narrow your choices. Once you have some idea of which neighborhood(s) are of interest you can start to look for hotels, inns, and even furnished apartments (best for a week or longer) in that part of town. Since there are over 2000 hotels in Paris plus an amazing number of rental apartments, there is generally something to satisfy everyone :). As you start to get your list down to a small number of possible hotels..take some time to read the various personal reviews posted on the internet. You can usually get a good idea about a place after a few reviews (do not depend on one person's opinion). We also like to find places that are within a few blocks of a Metro Station....so this is also something to consider.

Also start thinking about practical matters such as how you plan on getting to your hotel from the airport, train station, etc. You will likely have to handle your own luggage so that is another consideration. A topic that sometimes comes up here on CC is about Paris on Sunday's and this is a day when things are somewhat different. Many of the major stores and other shopping places are closed. The French do not like to work on Sundays or Holidays and there are labor laws that work against places opening on that day. But the Marais neighborhood (4th Arrondisement) is an area that really is alive on Sundays...so some might want to keep that in mind. Most museums are also open on Sundays :).

Speaking of Sundays, if you have certain museums in mind you should check which day they are closed (this varies) and plan accordingly. For example, the Louvre is closed on Tuesday and the Musee d'Orsay (my favorite art museum in Paris) is closed on Monday's.

When we try to help other independent travelers we stress doing pre-trip homework, knowing your options, keeping lots of flexibility (change plans if it feels right at the time), and use a lot of common/travel sense. This sounds very basic but its amazing at how many folks do not even follow these basic ideas and quickly find themselves overwhelmed or flustered.

Hank

Hank,

I agree with you about Sundays in Paris and will be heading right to the Marais when I arrive in Paris next Sunday morning.:D:D

Also don’t forget the Sunday markets and Parks! A very good place to relax and enjoy the locals.

Anne

• 3 months later...

We are going to Paris pre-river cruise mid-October, 2019.  This thread is helping me choose where to stay.  We will be traveling with another couple and would welcome any recommendations for an apt. that had a wonderful location!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2017 at 12:17 AM, pris993 said:

This is an interesting thread, read through it, we have been to Paris many times maybe 12+ over past 30 years. Early on we walked all day for hours... now we are much older we can't do that any more. We have never used the subway... either walked or took a taxis. We also have always stayed out at ORLY or Charles De Guall airports at either the Hilton or Hyatt hotels. Did so because saved a lot of money. We have always taken the airport bus in and out of the city... spend the day and then head back to our hotel for the evening. We always picnic in the city... love shopping at the street markets in the city. My dh is originally from Paris, so speaks French and understand the culture. On our last visit I discovered now days when giving direction to taxi driver one needs to give them a street address vs cross streets, since they all use GPS. We do like being out at CDG Airport for checking our flight back to the states, morning traffic can be a night mare if there are accidents, if you are trying to get to the airport to catch a flight. We have gotten off ships in La Harve, taken the tour bus from the ship into Paris and then a taxi to our hotel. We always travel with a lot of luggage as we visit family in Europe along the way, so taxi works best for us.

Thank you for this info. We have been trying to figure out how to get from La Havre to Paris then where to stay and how to get to CDG. Any other info would be appreciated. 

20 minutes ago, Campbell soup said:

Thank you for this info. We have been trying to figure out how to get from La Havre to Paris then where to stay and how to get to CDG. Any other info would be appreciated. 

When are you going?  When I book hotels, I generally book myself directly with the hotel 800 # check hotel web site for rate changes.  If rates drops call and get the lower rate.  I generally book early because sometime there are events and hotel book up.  Another hotel we have used at CDG is the Marriott.  I basically check rates at all 3 hotels at CDG, Hyatt, Hilton and Marriott.  The airport bus to and from Paris is called Le Bus now (formerly the Air France Bus), you can look it up on line for rates and schedules.   We were in Paris last October,  info current.   There are other buses,  slightly cheaper than Le Bus, if you look on line you will see this.   Bus to and from Paris is about 30 minutes, unless severe traffic problems.  

Another suggestion is down load a map of CDG, it a large airport, so it is good to note what terminal you flight will leave from, Terminal 2a,2b,2c,2d,2e.    

If you are staying out at CDG, the hotel airport buses only pick up at one location, near the train station at the airport.  It is easier with luggage to just get a taxi to your airport hotel.  

1 hour ago, Campbell soup said:

Over the years we have used two methods to get between Le Havre and Paris.  1.  The train.  There is usually one train per hour, the cost is reasonable and its a nice way to travel.  2.  A one-way rental car.  I have done a lot of driving in France (and Europe) so driving from Le Havre to Paris is not a big deal and makes it easy for us to fit in a side trip such as to Giverny.

As to Paris hotels and rentals there are truly thousands of options.  We suggest one start by choosing one or two neighborhoods (arrondisements) that fit your personal wants and then spending some time searching for good options in your price range.  As far as getting from a hotel (or rented flat) to CDG one can arrange for a private transfer (either car of shared van) or simply pre-book a taxi from a decent company such as G7 (they even have an English speaking phone line).    It is also possible to get from Paris to CDG on the train (RER B line) although that can be a real hassle if you have lots of luggage.  Depending where you are staying you might have to use the metro to get to the nearest RER B station.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 years later...
On 9/3/2017 at 5:12 PM, Corgidawgga said:

Hotel Tourville in the 7th.......easy walk to Invalid, Champs de Mar, Eiffel Tour. Quiet very upscale neighborhood, plenty of bakeries, restaurants on Rue Cler. Between two metro stops that connect to the rest of Paris. 10 minutes to St. Germaine and shopping......very Parisienne.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for posting.  I just made reservations for our river cruise in the fall.