Aft balcony on Legend in Alaska... Will I be disappointed?

cpshaye

I got all excited when DH suggested we upgrade our Alaskan cruise to a balcony! We've always sailed in an inside cabin, allowing us to go more often. So, I jumped on it for this sailing... And saw an aft balcony on deck 8 available and grabbed it.

Now I'm second guessing that decision. Is it really a big deal to see things as we are sailing upon them or will we still be just as awestruck after-the-fact? The serenety deck will be above us, will it be noisy? Will people up there be able to look down on us? I hear conflicting info about if it is more or less windy back there? Our (will be) 16yo son has always gotten seasick easily, is it more or less likely for him to feel sick (we take meds and sea bands for him) than he would've in the forward inside deck 7 cabin?

I understand everyone's preferences are different, but.... Reassure me that it wasn't a mistake!

If your going to get a aft balcony.... Alaska is the place to do it... scenery is amazing and having your own balcony is wonderful (and aft is great cause you can see both ways) less windy on aft. Serenity deck is call Serenity because it is a QUIET area... yes here will be people, but not 24/7 ... you did good, great splurge IMO

Make sure you have binoculars. We had an aft wrap on our Alaska cruise and watched a huge pod of grey whales for a long time before they were out of sight on the way to Juneau. It was also great at the glacier

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Only issue, the Spirit class aft cabins can have vibrations. Some love it, others hate it. Only you can decide if you'll spend lots of time on the balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not sure about an aft balcony - I will find out this weekend :)

But as someone who gets motion sick riding in anything that moves - I have been on 3 previous cruises 1 interior, 1 ocean view, and 1 balcony - the balcony was better by far, because I could walk out and get fresh air on my face and into the cabin.

*Also, the patches work well (though I do get some skin irritation). I have found that quesy drops work really well for me, there are several flavors. I have tried the ginger candy and it is good also - I just didn't care for the taste.

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Lollies-Queasy-Supporting-Awareness/dp/B002AK5K7G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501245088&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=queasy+drops&psc=1

If your going to get a aft balcony.... Alaska is the place to do it... scenery is amazing and having your own balcony is wonderful (and aft is great cause you can see both ways) less windy on aft. Serenity deck is call Serenity because it is a QUIET area... yes here will be people, but not 24/7 ... you did good, great splurge IMO

I agree with poz222. I think you made a great choice. Another plus is the aft balcony cabins have more cover overhead which can be a big plus in Alaska weather. Enjoy your Alaska cruise. I've been 3 times and each time experienced new things.

Thanks for the responses! I was pretty confident about a balcony in general, just questioned the aft d/t not seeing anything until we pass, and my super-sensitive son.

Starting the day we brought him home from the hospital until he was almost 2, he would scream in the car! Couldn't handle the motion. He's been on a cruise before, and only got sick once, during a rough storm. We will be more prepared for our next cruise with him in the Caribbean, and will be just a diligent on this Alaskan one.

Thank you to those who suffer motion sickness chiming in with some tips. I appreciate it! And I'm feeling better about his predicament while being in the back of the ship. I can't wait!

You absolutely will NOT be disappointed. The views are amazing from anywhere on the ship, and we moved around a lot on the day we went through Glacier Bay, but our balcony was a haven of quiet. We ordered hot chocolate and stood outside and just marveled at creation for hours.

From the aft section, you can see far more, even if you are moving away.

Aft facing and aft wraps are my favorites. I just did an 8 day Alaska on Legend back in May. When I first booked, none of those cabins were available. I was disappointed, but an aft facing balcony on 8 came open and I jumped on it. It was fantastic. Would do it again. Quiet, peaceful and scenic.