Hapag-Lloyd Cruises: Hanseatic nature and Hanseatic inspiration.

English Voyager

4 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

One article is  obviously referring to Scenic Eclipse when they talk about why HL  did not go for the gimmick helicopter and submarine on board.

Yes, they decided against those gimmicks. They can be only used by a few passengers but take up a lot of space onboard. So they wanted to have this space for all passengers.

steamboats

The Grand Suite is the only suite with a bathtub, unfortunately.

Given all the bathroom space there is in that bathroom, I am not sure why they only put in such a small solo soaking tub instead of bigger tubs like they have on the E2 , or huge tubs like in the highest suite pictures on Europa and  E2.

Perhaps it is because the narrator does say that the shower in the Grand Suite  is big enough for not just two, but more than two people.  So I guess if I sail Hanseatic with DH that means we could fit in all the English language country of origin pax into our shower, just not both of us in the bathtub. 🙂

12 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

The Grand Suite is the only suite with a bathtub, unfortunately.

Given all the bathroom space there is in that bathroom, I am not sure why they only put in such a small solo soaking tub instead of bigger tubs like they have on the E2 , or huge tubs like in the highest suite pictures on Europa and  E2.

Perhaps it is because the narrator does say that the shower in the Grand Suite  is big enough for not just two, but more than two people.  So I guess if I sail Hanseatic with DH that means we could fit in all the English language country of origin pax into our shower, just not both of us in the bathtub. 🙂

That adds an extra dimension to the concept of 'togetherness' !

• 4 weeks later...

A Hanseatic nature review in German of an early cruise from May 2019 ( Dublin to Hamburg, so not true expedition) I ran across is below.  Try Google Translate if you do not do German. It appears the infrastructure is having some teething problems ( issues with pool motor for swimming not functioning for first few days, spa problems, clock stuck at 11:00, and clothing hooks falling down)  , but the food and service as expected was outstanding. This pax thought there were too many ship and anchor noises in a cabin towards the front of the ship, even in calm waters, so beware booking in front if you are sensitive.

https://www.holidaycheck.de/kreuzfahrten/bewertungen-hanseatic-nature/d674bf88-1368-3893-b683-ff369252066e#nav

• 1 month later...

New brochure has 2 cruises where you can use bonus miles to avoid single traveler cost.

Hanseatic nature from Papeete to Punta Arenas Nr. NAT2022 Nov 25th, 2020 This cruise stops at islands that are not included in other ships' itineraries (except Ponant sometimes).

Hanseatic inspiration from Buenos Aires to Belem Nr. INS2005 March 7th, 2020. This cruise is before the very popular Amazon cruise that was sold out immediately. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, steamboats said:

The Hanseatic inspiration has been named yesterday evening with a great show! All invited guests were in the zodiacs. Public could follow the ceremony from shore. Great light show and projections on the ship.

steamboats

H-L has now posted a, German language, video of the christening of the ship:

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, we received the information package for our Inspiration cruise in March. It is very comprehensive with a map of South America, another one of the Amazon basin, a booklet with natural and cultural information, a booklet with excursion descriptions, (They are graded with 5 difficulty levels not just three.), a booklet for the onboard experience and additional paperwork. We are booked b2b from Buenos Aires to Belem to Iquitos. Excursion information for the river part of the cruise will be sent separately. 

A few months ago, we canceled your cruise on the Nature. It goes from Papeete along a rarely offered southerly itinerary to Easter Island and continues directly to Punta Arenas with a week of sea days. The last time we were in Chile, the port of Punta Arenas was closed due to the stormy weather. Not my cup of tea. When we booked, we were dazzled by the Polynesian first part of this cruise.

Today, the land excursion brochure for the Amazon part of the cruise arrived. There is one in Parintins, the famous Bomba show. If you are on this cruise and haven't seen the show yet, it is great! Definitely recommended.

There are many excursions in Manaus, lots of choices. If anyone is interested, I can comment on those we took last time. It looks like the providers are the same for all ships. Other than a turn-around port for many cruise lines, Manaus is not a tourist hub.

A brochure arrived for the Nature cruise from Papeete to Punta Arenas. You can use accumulated miles to pay. 

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

We had a fantastic time on our Hapag Lloyd cruise to Antartica! They did a wonderful job.

We have the Inspiration on a wishlist for Kamchatka peninsula way out in the future!

I received the final cruise documents and ship card in the last minute, before departure.   It says in the document that after charter flight arrives at Ushuaia airport, we will take a tour to the immediate surroundings of Ushuaia before going to port

at around 4:30 pm.  Do you know where the tour goes for almost 6 hours ?   There is pre-cruise programme shown their website without detail and price.  When I asked to participate, I was told no more space.  While I was trying to organize my own tour in Ushuaia, comes this final document with the free tour.   All sounds not well organized.   I had actually asked what happens between flight landing and ship boarding by my agent, but no information.

5 hours ago, scandun said:

I received the final cruise documents and ship card in the last minute, before departure.   It says in the document that after charter flight arrives at Ushuaia airport, we will take a tour to the immediate surroundings of Ushuaia before going to port

at around 4:30 pm.  Do you know where the tour goes for almost 6 hours ?   There is pre-cruise programme shown their website without detail and price.  When I asked to participate, I was told no more space.  While I was trying to organize my own tour in Ushuaia, comes this final document with the free tour.   All sounds not well organized.   I had actually asked what happens between flight landing and ship boarding by my agent, but no information.

You will probably go to Tierra del Fuego National Park with several stops there and then have lunch at a restaurant with a great view of Ushuaia and the ship. You will also have some free time in Ushuaia to walk around a bit. At least that's what we did 3 years ago....

Like any other cruiseship, there is a turnaround day...and this is it.

the flight arrives early In Ushuaia so there you go! Everything with HL is well organized and goes off like clockwork. They have been running Antarctic cruises more frequently and longer than most other lines,

My experience was identical to that of lake diver. If you are not a german language speaker, read below.

What will happen at the airport upon arrival, is that the native or preferred  English speakers (who in our case where one Australian couple, one couple from the Us and assorted Danes, and folks from the Netherlands and Belgians) are segregated from the german speaking group. We were the Weiss group and these are the folks that you will be doing excursions with for the next weeks or so.  Many people do speak german or understand it (or one person in the couple does). 
You will have a fantastic time, have no worries. 

Sounds all good.  But at least they should give a response when being asked.  Otherwise guests might pay for own similar tours.  As you mentioned, they have been running Antarctic cruises longer than anyone else, something easy to tell.

You are correct. Did you use a travel agent, or book directly through them? Whoever it is, I would call them and ask for an explanation.

I tried dealing with the New York HL travel agents and they were such idiots, that I dealt directly with Germany. The ladies there even went so far as to check in with the captain of the ship on a question I had regarding air conditioning in the Amazon Cruise. The morons in New York thought that I had to buy excursions for Antartica!

I use a US agent.   But how many US agents really book for HL cruises ?  And the time difference between east coast, west coast and New Zealand where I live now......Anyway I hope to have a good time onboard to the white continent and South Georgia.

Ok, that explains the problem. Hapag Lloyd didn’t misinform you, the US TA did... they should have contacted the company on your behalf. 
I loved South Georgia, it is truly a highlight of the trip.

Also, please report back on the ship for us. 
I’ll offer you three bits of advice that you can take or leave 

1) Vick’s vapo rub. It’s late in the season and it can be a bit smelly in the rookeries.

2) I wore rain pants over my wool leggings. I got some great photos sitting in the ground, but it’s quite dirty at times. I just rinsed the. Off every day

3) we had a very nice wet room to change in and out of our expedition clothing. When your group is called, you will head down and don your boots, life preserver, coat, etc. At the end, you will rinse your boots and store this in the wet room in your cubby, I found that a cheap pair of crocs works well to wear from your cabin, to the wet room and back. It was the best tip I got. They slip on and off with ease. You won’t want to be tying shoes or mucking up anything nice,

Your advice highly appreciated. 

I bring a pair of sandals, does that work as crocs ? I visit Iguazu falls before the cruise and wear the sandals.

Rain pants = waterproof pants ?  I bring a Goretex pant, hope that works in Antarctica.

I will report when time and internet allows.  Not sure how much to pay for internet onboard.  That is important

for me.