Airfare - am I on drugs or are they?

So we dont have a cruise booked for the winter - haven't seen anything that turns our crank but just for giggles I thought I'd have a look at air prices return from Portland Maine to FLL. What the hell is going on?

Here's the prices I get: Per person return

American Air - $828 PP

Jet Blue - $750 PP

Delta - $850 PP

United - $710 PP

and those prices are similarly high all thorough March and February

In November we're flying Southwest for $250 per person return. What the heck is going on? Oil is way down, gas is down. For two of us we'd be looking at $1500-$1600 USD return and here's the kicker. I'm from Canada and drive to Portland Maine to fly - have for years because its so much cheaper. I can fly out of my home town in Saint John NB Canada CHEAPER!

Holy crap guys. WTH?

Same shocking prices from the 3 NY metro airports. Worst is Newark as United has a monopoly on direct flights to FLL. Fares for Easter week is in the $750 area, as much as a 7 day cruise. Was able to get an AA direct R/T flight from Philly for $400, a bargain.

Booked a Philly flight to Barcelona at end of August for $720 R/T versus $1,100+ from the metro area. Someone had a thread that indicated fares to Europe in the $400--still waiting.

It's a bad time to travel. It isn't just the Spring Break (aka college) crowd, but also public schools. Here in New England, most districts actually have two breaks. One in February, and a second in April. Colleges seem to do March. So you get 3 months where lots of people are traveling like it's summer, and prices are much higher.

The fall doesn't seem to have much for school breaks. Just holidays and single days here and there, so travel prices are far more reasonable.

As someone pointed out, look at Southwest Airlines. You have to go to them directly, they don't allow outside vendors to search their flights.

Agree. In fact, here in metro Phoenix (and most of Arizona), virtually all the K-12 schools (as well as college) have spring break in March. As you note though, it probably varies from state to state.

If you are looking at late November, it is one of the worst times to travel. Due to scheduling conflicts, we were forced to book flights home for the Sunday after Thanksgiving, a.k.a. the busiest day of air travel. Southwest of course blocked out their "Wanna Get Away" fares, so we were forced to book near $500 ONE-WAY fares (still cheaper than the other airlines). At least we can cancel if we find cheaper fares.

All you can do is watch the prices and hope you see something less expensive. Having options when it comes to the airport you leave from is nice. I we book early, usually 11 months out...too stressful to wait.

The only problem is that Southwest and Jet Blue don't open their flights that far in advance. Jet Blue JFK-MCO for President's week started out at $500 EACH WAY!