Anything I need to know to enjoy a 6-8 hr layover in Colombia?

Lurontravel

We are flying home after our cruise through Colombia with our 4 and 6 year old sons in January and will have several hours to kill. We'd like to leave the airport during this time and maybe have a meal and see a sight or two. Any tips or advice to share? Any information that we really need to know (like the $100 fee that Chile charges to most Americans, most of the time)?

If you are going to be in Cartegena, I would NOT recommend going on your own. Arrange a tour with a reputable guide, and eat in the Old Town area. Go to see the old conquistidor era fort. That is about all you would have time to do.

I would not take the risk of going on my own anyplace in Columbia. Americans are prime kidnap targets there. Find a guide and stay with them. You won't have much time anyway as you will probably not be off your plane until 1PM and then will have to be back at the airport no later than 4PM (2 hour minimum check-in for international flights).

I went to school in Bogota and have returned several times since. I would NOT take two young childern into Bogota. I would say try and avoid Columbia at all cost. Does anyone in your party speak Spanish? If you must stop at Bogota, see if you can get into the VIP lounge at the airport and stay put. Happy Sailings...Leslie Swiger:)

Archived