Putting Cash on your cruise card

Hi I am sailing on Voyager Of The seas in November and do not want my credit card to bear onboard expenses if it can be helped. Can you put American cash on your card when you get on board the ship?

Also If one is booked into first dining time in the MDR, and the ship sails at 630pm, how does that work with life boat muster drill thrown in?

You deposit cash and when it runs out you can't use your card and have to go top up so just keep an eye on your onboard account to know when to top up. You always pay in advance and then on the last day, go get a refund of anything outstanding

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi I am sailing on Voyager Of The seas in November and do not want my credit card to bear onboard expenses if it can be helped. Can you put American cash on your card when you get on board the ship?

Also If one is booked into first dining time in the MDR, and the ship sails at 630pm, how does that work with life boat muster drill thrown in?

Yes, I did this on a cruise on Explorer of the seas, at the time, I just rang Royal Caribbean directly, if you ring the Oz number in the evening you get put through to the US which is who you are best to speak to. At the time I was advised by cruisescritic members (via the Royal Caribbean page of this site) to ask for it in US dollars but ask them to bill it to my card in Australian Dollars that way avoiding overseas purchase charges on my credit card. I believe that some banks have closed this loophole. By adding credit to your account now you get it at today's rates, so its a gamble as to whether the value of the Oz dollar goes up against the US but I did find the rates we got from Royal Caribbean were very competitive, better than if we had gone to a bank or exchange place in Oz to get US cash. You might like to ask the same question on the RC page. There are quite a few historical posts about it. The search button at the top narrows down search for older posts about it.

=Sanjanjo;53696543]Hi I am sailing on Voyager Of The seas in November and do not want my credit card to bear onboard expenses if it can be helped. Can you put American cash on your card when you get on board the ship?

We were on Voyager of the Seas in March and a few weeks before we sailed I phoned Royal Caribbean's Sydney office (1800 754 500) and ordered and paid for on board credit to go on our on board account. The exchange rate at that time was $0.77 AUS, I am not sure how much the rate is at the moment considering the Aussie dollar is up. I paid using a debit card and there were no extra bank charges. We had a small amount of credit left after the cruise and it was put back on my debit card within a few days. A very easy way to pay your on board account.

Enjoy your cruise.

Leigh

Yes, if you opt to not register a credit card for your on board charges you can pay your account at the gust services desk with cash US$ or Aust $ .or any other currency ( currencies other than US will be subject to whatever exchange rate the ship is using at that time) You will NOT need to give money in advance at check in as "cash accounts " have an "advance" of a few hundred dollars on them. This is not a credit from the ship but a system RCL use to avoid all the cash account guests from having to line up at the guest services desk when they first board. Theoretically IF you did not spend over this amount you would not need to hand over any cash until the end of the cruise, if however you spent say $500 on the first night you would be asked to pay this amount asap and your card would be deactivated until you did. You can of course go and put money into your account at any time during the cruise if you wish. I often suggest you register a credit card as a back up ( no fees involved) but then pay the account in cash at the end of the cruise.

I am surprised anyone would want to pay cash in AUD on their account for a cruise where US is the currency, the exchange rates are so much worse than the banks rates or even most credit cards.

I guess some people are just not as "organised" as you or me. ;p:D

I guess some people are just not as "organised" as you or me. ;p:D

I suppose so, I can understand why some people do not want a credit card but it is just so much easier if you have one that is used just for travel expenses if people are worried about cost blow outs.