Live--Silversea Explorer August 8-22, 2017--Svalbard, Greenland, and Iceland.

RachelG

JP, believe you're right it is the location (e.g. Artic, last post we have from Rachel, other friends on this cruise was on Tuesday from Longyearbyen. Even on Facebook posts from RachelG and other friends ended this Tuesday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JP, believe you're right it is the location (e.g. Artic, last post we have from Rachel, other friends on this cruise was on Tuesday from Longyearbyen. Even on Facebook posts from RachelG and other friends ended this Tuesday.

I just had a quick look and there certainly are issues for satellite reception at the poles.

And one factor is atmospherics and I presume the effects of solar winds hitting the atmosphere and bouncing off causing interference.

So even though the northern lights are not visible because of daylight, the cause in the ionosphere still exists and is I believe the culprit.

Bad weather effects satellite signals, but this electrical interference must cause havoc I suspect.

Either that ... or Rachel is having a whale of a time and we must wait. I suspect both come into play. :-)

Hi Gnaluzu,

I'm Rachel's friend Jenny. Did your parents tell you how long they are going to have no internet? I don't think I can wait for another 4 days without worrying about them😳

I believe my parents on on the ship with you. They called me yesterday from Svalbard to let me know that they weren't going to have much internet availability. I then hopped on line and got some great screen shots of them from the port webcam. Sadly, it wasn't a live feed, but I managed to see both of them when it took a pic every 15 minutes. If you bump into a couple from Scottsdale, AZ it is probably them. First is a pic of the boat, followed by pics of them (to the left of the SilverSea logo).

AFAIK, the standard satellite internet services peter out around 74-75°N latitude. The Svalbard cruise hangs out around 78-82°N. So, no internet.

There is supposedly another satellite for the polar regions, so the ship can connect. Just the guests are isolated.

From SS' website, FAQ section:

Guests aboard expedition cruises to/from Svalbard should be prepared to be out of communication for the duration of their time on board. (Please be assured that*Silver Explorer*always has emergency communication capabilities.)

David, you will be fine in Iceland. The mainland does not extend further north than 66° and change.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Does that mean no internet for 2 weeks?

AFAIK, the standard satellite internet services peter out around 74-75°N latitude. The Svalbard cruise hangs out around 78-82°N. So, no internet.

There is supposedly another satellite for the polar regions, so the ship can connect. Just the guests are isolated.

From SS' website, FAQ section:

Guests aboard expedition cruises to/from Svalbard should be prepared to be out of communication for the duration of their time on board. (Please be assured that*Silver Explorer*always has emergency communication capabilities.)

David, you will be fine in Iceland. The mainland does not extend further north than 66° and change.

Does that mean no internet for 2 weeks?

It means no internet until they are back in range, at a minimum, south of 75°N latitude. I can't remember their itinerary, so I don't remember exactly when that happens. Probably once they approach Greenland?

I think the spots they visit there will be south of 75. Scoresby Sund, for example, is at 70°N so you might hear from them even before they get that far south. Jan Mayen is at a similar latitude so they might be connected if they go there.

However, the East Coast of Greenland seems to be in a gap between two satellites, neither of which reaches as far north all that well. This map may explain it better.

The southwestern tip of Greenland is covered but the East Coast isn't. So it's possible that we won't get updates until they are almost at Iceland.

1a9d0a75b87986e5f50626b9f720d7b6.jpg

Edited by jpalbny

Hi Gnaluzu,

I'm Rachel's friend Jenny. Did your parents tell you how long they are going to have no internet? I don't think I can wait for another 4 days without worrying about them😳

My folks said the same as the others. Expect to not have internet for the majority of the cruise. Not to worry though, I am sure that they are all fine.

In situations like this I simply write a daily blog/diary and then post it at the end of the cruise and pretend it's "live." I did this on a Silversea cruise down the coast of West Africa where the on-board internet was virtually non-existent. I do hope Rachel does something similar.

August 8, 2017--embarkation in Longyearbyen, Svalbard

I woke up early to a nice sunny day in Oslo. Went out to get some early morning exercise. It was a perfect morning for walking, with temps in the 60's. The sidewalks were relatively empty except for early morning walkers to work and a few joggers.

After another sumptuous breakfast at the hotel (Silversea had instructed us to eat a good breakfast), we took the very efficient and relatively inexpensive express train to the airport. The stop was right across the street from the hotel, and the whole trip took less than 25 minutes.

The check in line for our SAS charter flight was pretty long but moved rapidly, and we got to greet several more friends who are going on this trip. One major aggravation though--(if you want to skip the rant, please go to next paragraph)--Silversea's printed material said 50 lb weight limit on checked bags and 11 lbs on hand baggage. I had carefully packed and was just under the limit. There were lots of people checking huge heavy bags, with no extra charge, and with hand baggage that was clearly over 11 lbs which the agent didn't even weigh. I would have packed more stuff if I had known they really weren't going to check, but didn't want to take the risk. So I have to suffer along with only 6 pair of shoes, which is really frugal from me!

Boarded our charter flight and 3 hours later, flying straight north, we are in Longyearbyen, the capital of Svalbard, with a population of 2100. And have entered another world. Stepping off the plane, the temp is in the 40s with a brisk wind. All round are hills with short scrub, as no tree can grow here in the permafrost. There are short mountains with snow on top, and the sea is a flat slate grey, totally smooth.

A quick bus ride takes us to our ship, the Explorer, home for the next two weeks. This is our 4th cruise on her. And she has just been refurbished. Gone are the ghastly red carpets and upholstery. Now everything is beige and blue. Muted but very nice. The exercise room has doubled in size. The old library that no one used is now the gift shop. Everything is very fresh, including the cabins which are now beige with light wood as opted to the previous dark. Bathtub is gone, replaced with large shower.

We get unpacked just in time for muster, then meet our butler who seems very attentive, instantly understanding that we only drink water and Coke Zero in the fridge, no need for other stuff. Sometimes in the past, this has been a challenge.

We meet up for dinner with friends in Hot Rocks, the outdoor venue, so we all bundle up. Outside, we sail past grey peaks with glaciers coming down to the sea. Occasionally a gull sweeps down, but otherwise, the sea is a flat and quiet. The sun peaks through light clouds overhead.

The food is wonderful, but basic. Salad and steak with prawns on the side, a baked potato and veggies. They bring out the meat on a hot lava stone, so you can cook to your liking, something George only tolerates on a ship. Otherwise, he would ask why he is paying other people for him to cook his food. But it really was good.

Waiting now for Internet. No idea when I will be able to post this.

August 9, 2017--Magalenefjord and Smeerenburg, Svalbard

After a smooth night's sailing, just enough motion to know you are on a ship, we arrived at Magalenefjord at 8:30. It was overcast with temps in the low 40s, not bad outside if you were out of the wind. Everyone was outside or in the observation lounge taking pictures of what was before us--jagged mountains covered with scree and lichen interspersed every so often with glaciers coming down to the water with a particularly large one at the end of the fjord. There were lots of small to medium size icebergs floating all around us, not the giants that I have seen between northern Canada and Greenland, but lots of pretty formations. The water here is very cold, so has that "thick" appearance, like it is getting ready to freeze.

After a bit of viewing, we had a light breakfast, followed by the mandatory briefing where they tell you things like don't touch a dead animal, don't try to pet a fox, stay away from the polar bear, etc. We also got our boots tagged with our cabin number and learned how to properly clean them after going ashore.

I took a bunch of pictures all over the ship. No idea when I will be able to post them, as we have no internet at present. Then went to workout in the gym, which is now a proper gym with 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, an exercise bike, a really nice weight machine, and workout bench.

I had done 30 minutes on the elliptical when the announcement came that there was a polar bear directly ahead of the ship on shore. So workout cut short. He was still quite a ways away, but a big fellow walking along the shoreline. We got closer, and you could see him pretty well with binoculars. George got a few pictures with his good camera. Too far away for mine.

During lunch time, we relocated to Smeerenburg, a flat spit of land where the ruins of a 1600's whaling camp is located. We were in the first landing group to go ashore. The temperature had dropped, and the wind had picked up. It was sleeting a little as well, so all layers of warmth were needed.

Once on the sandy shore, strewn with driftwood and kelp, we made our way over to where a group of walrus, about 10, all big fat males, were resting on the shore and playing in the surf. An excellent sighting as the ones in the water actually moved closer to us and appeared to be inspecting the red clad strangers on their island.

We also got to see the ruins of the camp and where the big pots for rendering the whale blubber rested. After 2 hours on shore, we were all cold and ready to head back to the ship to dry off and have a cup or three of hot tea.

The evening brought the captain's welcome followed by a delicious dinner. I had a wonderful venison steak while George had really good filet and lobster. Afterwards, Jerry teamed up with the onboard pianist and sang for a while in the lounge.

Wonderful reports Rachel, so very well written--feel like we are right there with y'all--we wish. Enjoy your Explorer voyage and thanks so much for sharing/working though The connectivity challenge.

Welcome back to civilization, RachelG!

Lucky...you got to go ashore in Smeerensburg. We didn't because there were some Polar bears hanging out on the shore. So we got to watch them instead.

Thanks so much for the ship pictures. It sure does look different - especially the suites. Only 10 weeks and a day until we fly out for our cruise. So eager to get back for our fourth as well!

Wow, the vessel has really changed since we were last aboard. It's very pretty. The cabin furniture still looks Lilliputian. Does George feel "confined"?

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Actually, the cabins seem a lot larger with the lighter furniture and decor. George has not complained about that.

August 10, 2017--80+ degrees north, basically the top of the earth

6:15--I am in the shower, when on the overhead speakers comes the voice of Kara Weller, our expedition leader, announcing there is a polar bear swimming right toward the ship in front of us.

I hurry to finish and get dressed. (An aside here: the new showers have great water pressure but a major design flaw in that they are not enclosed, have a shallow lip and a tiny drain. So if you are in more than about 3 minutes, the shower overflows, and you have a flood on the bathroom floor. Long hot showers are not a thing on this ship.)

At any rate, by the time I get outside, the bear is still there, standing on a big piece of sea ice and checking us out. He stays there quite a while sniffing the air, then glides his body back into the water and takes off.

The sea is totally calm and quiet with sea ice all round. Some are huge flat chunks with melted water in the middle, like giant icy swimming pools with decks. Others are like Sonic slushy ice, only on a grand scale. After breakfast, I do all my steps for the day walking around my little hamster track on deck 6, bundled up against the cold.

It was actually very pleasant because once you get moving, you warm up. There was no wind. There is the occasional seabird but not much else as far as wildlife to view. The seals are around, but they are skittish and disappear into the water as soon as they hear the ship.

After lunch, there is a choice--lecture or nap. Nap wins out for the first half of the afternoon followed by geology lecture by the resident geologist, a German gentleman who was also our zodiac driver yesterday. On this type of expedition, the staff often has to pull double duty.

The evening brought another dinner at Hot Rocks, so we bundled up in layers. The salmon was delicious, even though I cooked it myself. Afterwards, Jerry entertained again.