Live--Silversea Explorer August 8-22, 2017--Svalbard, Greenland, and Iceland.

RachelG

Definitely one of the best looking couples and view in the Dining room. Are the chairs still attached to the floor by a chain? Thanks again for sharing the trip with us via your lovely writing style and beautiful photos.

YES!! Agree strongly with Spins. Just to show that good-looking couple a little better, I took that visual as posted, although a little small in pixel size, and did a little "fine-tuning". Needed to see the couple and background a little better in all of their glory. Below is just a result with a little editing "magic". If I had a larger file size, I could do much better and more to bring out the star subjects, plus the wonderful background. Hope you don't mind.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

July%202017A%201615%201_zpsmyfkjum4.jpg

August 19, 2017--Bjorne Oer (Bear Islands) and Sydkap, Scoresbysund, Greenland

After a slow smooth night's sailing around Scoresbysund, we awoke to a cold but sunny morning anchored off the Bear Islands. George says these should really be called the Bare Islands as they are very rocky and, well, mostly bare. No wind to speak of, so perfect for an early morning zodiac cruise.

On all sides, there were stunning views. In one direction was the channel through which we had sailed, with high jagged snow topped peaks. On the other, the maze of small islands, with huge icebergs which are stuck in the water just off shore.

We trailed our way through, spotting some eider duck. A seal would pop its head up every so often, looking like an eightball in the water. The sun was shining brightly, reflecting off the glaciers and almost blinding.

An hour and a half passed quickly as we explored, and in what seemed like no time, we were back to the ship, frozen almost solid but with huge smiles for such a wonderful morning. I thawed out with some hot tea which was waiting in our cabin, brought by our totally intuitive butler, Bryan, who knows what we want or need before we even do.

During lunch, we cruised by a long line of icebergs that looked like the skyline of a city from the distance.

We anchored off an island with a little cabin visible. People use it for hunting and fishing. There was a broad scrub meadow then rocky hills going up and up. If you wanted to stay down low, you were free to walk wherever. Otherwise, there was a guided hike UP.

Obviously we went up. Over boulders and scrub then just bare rock as we got higher. It was very steep, but everyone in our group was fit and helpful with a hand up when needed. We went up and up, almost to the top of the mountain. Great views! Coming down, George spotted a lovely Arctic hare, cute little furry bunny who did not seem bothered by us at all.

George declared it the best day ever, so much so that he did the hike again with the second group!

We are anchored overnight in a protected cove. Tomorrow we will sail as far as possible up another fjord then out again toward Iceland.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks again for posting the surreal skyline (err mean iceberg) photos Rachel. Kudos to George for double tapping and enjoying the hike twice.

Rachel, Now with internet, I'm finally got to catch up on your blog. Even though we're on the same cruise, your recaps are amazing, so well written and I love reading them. GOOD JOB ! We've sure enjoyed cruising with you and George again. It's been lots of fun.

BTW, as Rachel mentioned...the showers are not good, flooding the floors. I so miss the tub/shower combination BUT...for those considering coming on this ship, it's confirmed that the showers will be fixed with larger drains, higher lips and a longer divider so the water doesn't back up or bounce off you and on to the floor. I'm not sure when but hopefully sooner than later. Other than that one "screw up" with the refurbishment, the ship looks fantastic. The food has been very good and the staff through out is A +++. We've loved this cruise.

Thanks for the picture tweaking, TLC Ohio!

Glad you liked the picture fine-tuning. Just wanted to make sure the "stars" looked good in such a great setting. Appreciate your continued nice visuals and detailed postings. Keep up the great sharing!!

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 69,548 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Rachel and PetLover,

Thx for sharing your voyage with us. Living at altitude, I know how short summer can be. But, I couldn't imagine living in a place where summer is so fleeting, fall colors are already underway with daytime temps in the 30's/40's. Brrr...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

August 20, 2017--Nordvestfjord and Volquart Boons Coast, Greenland

After a quiet night at anchor, the ship took off at about 5:30 am to explore another arm of the fjord. Again more and more huge glaciers on all sides. The sun was shining brightly and reflecting off the surfaces of the ice, making it look like glass. No landings or zodiac rides today, just cruising among the giant bergs.

After lunch, it was all about being lazy. Some people were packing already, but I prefer to wait till the last moment. There was a lecture for those so inclined.

At about 4 pm, we reached the Volquart Boons coast which is right at the very broad mouth of Scoresbysund. There were still some large icebergs floating. The cliffs are extremely high and rock covered with lots of snow, very dramatic for photography. I finished my walking outside while we sailed along.

By evening, we were in open ocean, without icebergs, and the ship was really zipping along and rocking a lot. So much so that several bottles in the bar fell to their demise. I missed the excitement there, but a lot of things fell off the shelves in our cabin.

Dinner was quite delicious, with lobster bisque, spinach pasta, and beef Wellington being the stars. The crew talent show was afterward. Best crew show EVER! Everyone was dancing and singing, having a great time.

August 21, 2017--enroute to Iceland

After a somewhat rocky night's sailing we awoke to a hazy morning. The temperature was slightly warmer, in the mid 40s and with a bit of wind.

As I had my morning tea up in the observation lounge, I could see that we were being accompanied by hundreds of sea birds of several varieties. The water must be teeming with fish to attract so many birds. I also could intermittently see other ships in the distance, something we had not seen previously at all on this trip. By 11:00, the coast of Iceland could be seen on the horizon.

There were lectures and a cooking demo by the chef. Since not much else going on, I will try to describe the plan for lunch every day.

As you enter the dining room, there is a large buffet to the right. First is a warm dessert in a chafing dish, changes every day, but some sort of bread pudding usually. Then a pasta station. You order the pasta at your table, and there is a single selection each day. Then a soup, which you can order at the buffet or at your table.

The rest is self serve. First several meat dishes, at least one seafood or fish dish, and at least one vegetarian main dish, followed by a couple of warm starch dishes and a couple of cooked vegetables. Next is a large salad bar, then bread, cheese, and finally a carving station where there is a different meat or fish daily. There is also a different quiche and pizza each day.

At a separate island, there are all manner of desserts as well as a selection of prepared salads and sometimes sushi. Some days, the buffet has a theme, like Mexican or Asian, but others, it is just random. Even today, we had fresh lettuce, but it is getting to look a bit bedraggled.

The polo grill is also open for lunch and makes burgers, fries, hot dogs, fish and a couple of sandwiches. You can also order these inside the dining room, but it takes quite a long time to get them.

Afternoon lecture regarding Icelandic culture was really well done. I had my final yummy tea session and packed[emoji80].

The cruise video was debuted, then final dinner which was delicious but way too heavy on carbs, since veggies are in short supply. We can see Iceland off the port side easily. Also saw a large pod of dolphins from our room. They were swimming alongside the ship and flying in the water, very captivating in the sunset.

Since I didn't have any great pics of the sea today, I made pics of two things that people often ask about, the laundry list and prices at the doctor office. First the laundry list:fdfb4bee4e4100ff284f6c3dcb5b85b6.jpg40e64f2968581cff69ba425922d8e5ef.jpg

I've never thought about the need to visit a Dr. on the ship until Wes's incident. Do they accept insurance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they will not process insurance claims. They will give you a copy of the statement so you can try to get reimbursed

Make sure you get a detailed report from the ship's doctor with the doctor's complete name. Also get copies of any prescriptions you may have been given by the doctor. Then you can submit them to your trip insurance carrier. I do not know whether general health insurance would cover it since in the US, Medicare does not cover anything outside the US.

Make sure you get a detailed report from the ship's doctor with the doctor's complete name. Also get copies of any prescriptions you may have been given by the doctor. Then you can submit them to your trip insurance carrier. I do not know whether general health insurance would cover it since in the US, Medicare does not cover anything outside the US.

Medicare does not cover anything outside the US, but the supplemental policies may or may not.

Our commercial insurance does cover things out of network, and out of the US as long as you are out of the country less than 120 days, but policies vary, and you have to fulfill your deductible which is $5000 in our case. But I have a medical savings account which would cover this. They issue you a debit card and you can use it anywhere for any medical expense.

As wisely mentioned above by Emtbsam and Rachel, there are lots of variables and options/potentials. Before our recent travels to Europe, etc., I checked about our insurance coverage and, YES, they would pay certain bills. There are several IF's!! Get copies of your billings/costs when traveling overseas. Then submit them to your insurance carrier, etc. BEST?? Check in advance with your insurance folks, press them on the details, process, etc. Clearly as Rachel noted, "policies vary". And what was true and done by the insurance folks a year or two ago might not be their current policy/practice. Then, there are travel insurance options, too!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 185,407 views for this posting.

August 22, 2017--disembarkation in Reykjavik, Iceland

We were up early for disembarkation. Another bright sunny day, temps in the 50s. Lots of hugs and good byes and see you next year, etc. The expedition staff was all lined up on the gangplank to bid us farewell. We will be on this ship again in about a year, Nome to Seward.

We took a taxi to the Hilton and got checked in. Then went out for a driving tour with our friends to the golden circle, which is really more of a line. Beautiful countryside, waterfalls, geysers.

We had a pricey but delicious dinner in downtown Reykjavik. All food is expensive here though. We had puffin, minke whale and langoustine lobster appetizers. I thought the puffin and minke whale tasted about the same, which is not surprising since they eat a lot of similar stuff. Then George had horse steak while I stuck with salmon. But I ate some of his horse, and it really was delicious. Very tender, lean, and flavorful.

Big disappointment was that our northern lights tour guy did not show up. We waited and waited. The hotel called. They said it was for tomorrow, but I have the emails, so will be getting my money back on that. So no northern lights for us.

Can't you guys get back on ? Is it really over? Aw geez, I'll miss reading your great reports and wonderful pix!

Where all does the Nome to Seward route take you? I could get enthused!

Safe travels to you both and hope to be hearing more from you in the future.

Linda