Silver Spirits Beverage Packageed

sabrefan

Wine is sold in state-run shops in Norway. Almost everything is imported and the prices are sky high. As I remember from many years ago, a bottle of wine that cost $15 in the U.S. Cost at least $25-$30 in Norway.

We are wine drinkers and do prefer a more upscale wine.. so even though we get wine with lunch and dinner , I'm looking forward to the premium wines they serve on the SS package, if we want a lemon drop martini or a margarita we're not going to bother bringing my own mixes. For the cost, which I feel is very reasonable compared to Celebrity, we have purchased the package. We are on vacation, and at my age I do not count my pennies. We just enjoy life and spend our children's inheritance..they think that's funny and agree.

The info on SS package I read today said 15% gratuities included in the $279pp price.....there was also a sample bar menu with about 10 pages listing various beers, drinks, etc, and only price of house wines & sparkling.

I was wondering if 15% is added onto the various drink/beer prices of $5, $6, $7.50, etc. when you purchase individually? OR is it included in drink price (which I doubt)?

If you factor out the 15% from the $279, that nets down to $243 for the drinks & divide by # of evenings on ship, that comes to $17.36 pp per day...that would easily cover cost of a 2 cosmos or manhattans @ 7.50 or 2 crown royals @ 8.00 plus a beer at lunch or a mimosa in AM, not counting a glass of wine at dinner....

OR AM I misunderstanding the rules??

In June, it was included in the price. I never paid anything extra when I disembarked

The info on SS package I read today said 15% gratuities included in the $279pp price.....there was also a sample bar menu with about 10 pages listing various beers, drinks, etc, and only price of house wines & sparkling.

I was wondering if 15% is added onto the various drink/beer prices of $5, $6, $7.50, etc. when you purchase individually? OR is it included in drink price (which I doubt)?

If you factor out the 15% from the $279, that nets down to $243 for the drinks & divide by # of evenings on ship, that comes to $17.36 pp per day...that would easily cover cost of a 2 cosmos or manhattans @ 7.50 or 2 crown royals @ 8.00 plus a beer at lunch or a mimosa in AM, not counting a glass of wine at dinner....

OR AM I misunderstanding the rules??

Just to be clear, bar prices already include a 15% gratuity. If the bar menu says $7.50, that number includes the gratuity; you don't need to add an additional tip to your bill, unless you are feeling generous. Don't net the gratuity in your calculations or you will under-estimate the break even point. You pay $20pp per day, so you each need to have three cosmos per day to break even, not two.

Wine and beer at lunch and dinner is already included in the cruise fare unless you want other than the house varieties.

Soft drinks are free at meal times but cost at other times of the day. Don't forget the cans of soda in your mini-bar.

Coffees (except if you add alcohol) and tea are always free, even if you get them from the bar.

We are wine drinkers, too, although we do enjoy an occasional mimosa or margarita. But my question is, if we want to retire to our room for the evening with a glass of wine or two, and we can't get a bottle, what do we do, have room service deliver our premium wine? And then if we want a second glass, do we have to call them again? On Regent they just stocked our mini fridge every day with the bottles of wine of our choice.

I can't answer for the premium wine but I can tell you that often during lunch or dinner hours I would just go to the world cafe or the pool bar and ask for 2 glasses of the included wine to go. I would think that with the package you could just go to any bar and ask for 2 glasses to go and bring them to your cabin.

Wine is sold in state-run shops in Norway. Almost everything is imported and the prices are sky high. As I remember from many years ago, a bottle of wine that cost $15 in the U.S. Cost at least $25-$30 in Norway.

Norway food and drink prices are extremely high. It isn't just wine.

Example: 2 cheeseburgers, 2 beers at lunch right there on the dock = $100+

So no, I wouldn't count on buying wine in port there....and while we usually enjoy lunch in port wherever we are.....that was a bit over the top.

I think that The whole 'SS Package to do or not to do' is not a cookie cutter decision. And depending on where your itinerary takes you, what you prefer to drink, what level of cabin you are in, along with number of sea days all goes into the equation....not to mention the simplicity of just not worrying about any of it if you have the package!

I am not sure if restocking of the mini bar includes wine with the package, since they do not discount bottle purchases (correct?) only by the glass. That would be good to clarify tho. I do know that last VO we were in PV so the restocked mini bar with our requested choices made it fairly easy to enjoy with out the package....when we wanted extra good wines we would purchase a bottle from their list or bring from the ports that were conducive to good wine. This next trip is a DV cabin.....that presents a different piece in the equation along with non wine region itinerary. We will figure it out once we are on board and see what are the wine offerings....

Great discussions and information here. I appreciate all the input, feedback, and advice.

Edited by Vineyard View

There's a liquor store in the mall in tromso, right by the dock. Prices were very reasonable and staff was very helpful. Just be careful coming back on board ship, let them know that you are putting a breakable item through scanner. I had purchased a glass artwork that fell off scanner table and broke.

Does anyone know if the SS beverage package includes any upgraded bottled water?

For that matter---what are the bottled water choices? Anything in glass bottles or fizzy water?

We bought the package so we could have upgraded wine and have the pairings at Chef's Table but we are bottled water lovers also.

Does anyone know if the SS beverage package includes any upgraded bottled water?

For that matter---what are the bottled water choices? Anything in glass bottles or fizzy water?

We bought the package so we could have upgraded wine and have the pairings at Chef's Table but we are bottled water lovers also.

Bottled water choices include

Mineral Water (in two sizes)

Evian Spring Water

those are the two I know of

Bottled water choices include

Mineral Water (in two sizes)

Evian Spring Water

those are the two I know of

Perrie is also offered but that was on the china cruise

On the star I had sparkling water with lemon and lime on the side

Dear aquidneck1,

We appreciate your patience as we have reviewed your inquiry.

Similar to our wines by the glass, the wines available by the bottle on our ocean itineraries are continually rotating. Accordingly, at this time there is not a definitive list that is available for review. However, the selection available by the glass shown in our previous comment is a good indicator of what will also be available by the bottle.

We do hope you find this information useful, aquidneck1, and are delighted to see your excitement in planning for our upcoming voyage together.

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

Thanks so much Viking for responding.

Is there a list of wines that are available by the bottle? Seeing the Silver Spirits package has made me inclined to buy it by the bottle.

We are bottled water drinkers and particularly enjoy San Pelligrino - the SS package was worth that for us to have San Pelligrino at every meal (and at other times of course) as we easily drink a large bottle between us. So adding in the Prosecco and the "etc etc etc etc etc" drinks, we were very happy with the package which we purchased after boarding from the great bartenders in the living room! :hearteyes:

After a couple of days our San Pelligrino was brought without asking to our table - I didn't notice many people having the San Pelligrino, in fact I seem to remember they had to go and get some from elsewhere the first night in the restaurant but after that, it was there.

The ship's water in the decanters in your stateroom and the same served in the restaurants we did not care for at all - but this is the same for me for any "ship's water"! The pink capped bottles they hand out when you head off on your excursions - not very nice at all, try one and you will see what I mean!

IMO The pink cap was the WORST ! The Blue Cap was fine....and for a small glass of water the room decanter was fine. We generally are not water bottle drinkers out water at home is fine from the tap!

Thank you Viking Sky. I think that I can be happy with the quality but hopefully there is a wider range available. Sauvignon Blanc, Rose and a French red???

A sample wine list would really help if possible. I understand that they change but at least I would be able to see the variety.

Thanks again.

Thank you Viking Sky. I think that I can be happy with the quality but hopefully there is a wider range available. Sauvignon Blanc, Rose and a French red???

A sample wine list would really help if possible. I understand that they change but at least I would be able to see the variety.

Thanks again.

Here is a sample Viking Ocean Bar Menu:

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/mvj/onboardbeveragemenu_oceans.pdf

WIne Menu From Viking River Cruise:

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/mvj/onboardbeveragemenu_europe.pdf

WInes change twice per trip I believe

Interesting to me that my favorites ( Hendrich gin, ginger beer ) seem to be on RC more so than OC which have bigger bar areas!

I was so happy to see Hendrick's gin on the sample menu (MyVikingJourney) but they didn't have it on board. I checked in every bar :(