Host Caroline

Hi Caroline,

Just wanted to let you know that we are booked into Le Chateau de Pierre for our fall cruise next year. Richard seems really nice and helpful so we are looking forward to our stay there.

Do you have a reccommendation for Montreal? We have decided to fly there first, spend a couple of nights and then take the train to Quebec.

Debbie

Richard is wonderful and the hotel is so charming and convenient to everything you will want to do/see there. I hope you enjoy your stay there as much as I have over the years.... I must say it was hilarious when Fran and I got in "Late" (aka 11:30 p.m.) on a Sat. night and the night "on duty" lady was waiting up for us like a mother hen :) but it's the family touches like that we love.

In Montreal it's been over 15 years... and we stayed at a Sheraton a bit out of the city and just used the subway to get around.. just parked the car in a shopping center lot and hopped on board.. So I'd hate to give advice specifically... but there are a couple of Canadians who pop in here ... So just repost under "Montreal Hotel Help" and one of them will probably have a good recommendation.

I saw you guys got some snow ... and it's been snowing in Carcross with temps of -2 to -14.. having had those temps in Quebec City in February during the Winter Carnival I can say that changes like that in the snow are completely "relative" ;) :eek:

If you give me a price area, maybe I can suggest a few hotels.

The one that I always recomend first, if you are non-smokers in room, is the Hotel Nelligan in Old Montreal. It's a lovely boutique style hotel, the bar is lovely (you can smoke in the bar as just about any bar here for now, may change but for now) and they have a lovely cheese and bread complimentary during the 5 - 7 happy hour. This is nice because it's a reareity to have any place put out any type of food during happy hour. The cheese is very popular because if we are going out for dinner and just want a "little something" not to drink on empty, this is great as opposed to having to order appetizers which will be too much food before dinner. The restaurant has good french cusine too, just had dinner there last night myself.

It's nice when you want a little snack to go with your drinks before dinner. I live here and my hubby and I frequent that bar and eat at the restaurant on a somewhat regular basis.

There is also the Hotel Du Fort, I'd say a nice place for medium priced hotel, a bit off downtown but certainly ok as far as neighborhood and for many considered still part of downtown. They have a website you can search for and check it out.

You can also check quickbook.com a hotel booking discount place on the web, I've used them and found them quite reliable, although I always phone in my reservation with the toll free #, same prices as on the web.

Other than that, I would say a Marriott, perhaps, Days Inn downtown, or a Best Western downtown.

For more upscale, I would definitley recommend the Queen Elizabeth on top of the train station, a Fairmont Hotel, the Chateau Champlain - a Mariott hotel and the Omni and the Ritz Carlton.

You can take the metro or a short cab ride to downtown from Old Montreal from the Nelligan. It really all depends on what you want to spend.

I do believe the Hotel Nelligan may have a website also if you do a search.

Good luck, happy travels and I hope this helps.

Host Caroline, I've been to winter carnival, -2 to -14 is warm, lol, closer to -25 when I was there, temps can vary so much here in the winter, thankfully I love cold weather.

Caroline and Mrs. Moose (I love your name),

Thank you for the help and names of hotels. I really like the looks of the Hotel Nelligan but unfortuneately it is out of our price range. The Hotel du Fort looks perfect but I hear they have two cats and my sister is allergic to them. I like staying in small boutique style hotels so I can get a feel for the area. The larger chain hotels do not interest me as much. I am having fun looking on the numerous websites checking out all the beautiful hotels in Montreal and Quebec City. So many choices...what to do...what to do???

Host Caroline, I've been to winter carnival, -2 to -14 is warm, lol, closer to -25 when I was there, temps can vary so much here in the winter, thankfully I love cold weather.

I too love cold weather (born and raised in northern PA) and am not a happy Southerner by any means!!! I think I am on the only person in this city who will be retiring NORTH... I don't even like to look at the weather forecasts for Pennsylvania.. I'm def. a snow bunny and not a beach bunny:)

and it might have been -25 when we were there.. I know we froze out tushes off standing outside on the ferry when we took it across the river to get our wonderful pics of the Chateau...

Hi ladies, sorry for not replying sooner

Yes, we would never retire to the south. I am american and we will retire to the US (I hope and pray) but will still be "north" or "pacific north" or something like Colorado.

Nic, I'm sorry that I can't be of more help with hotels. There are some nice bed and breakfasts but I just don't know their names, perhaps if you search on the Net, and if you give me the name and location I can tell you, as I know a lot of them, can't remember their names as I don't have to recommend them often.

Caroline, yes, that is something hubby would do, to get the right pic, lol, he loves photography as a hobby. I would move to Alaska, if it were not for the mosquitos in the summer.

I don't sit in the sun, and when I go to Maine for vacation, it's to eat lobster and enjoy the view but I don't enjoy the beach. Hubby is not a "hot weather" person either so we are well matched, lol.

Please don't hesitate to ask if I can be of more assistance.

If I don't responde right away, look for me in the cruise fashions section.

Good luck

Mrs.Moose

Archived