Aussie FF

Sydney answer by year end

'NSW Minister for Tourism and Events, Adam Marshall, has promised a solution to the cruise infrastructure crisis in Sydney by the end of 2017, with a working party currently considering a number of options.'

Source 'Cruise Weekly', August 10th 2017.

Aussie Frequent Floaters

Close the OPT, sell the land off to the insanely Rich to build highrise apartments then use the funds to build a decent facility for cruise ships in Newcastle. Better chance of that than moving the Navy and destroying history for holiday makers.

I doubt that would happen.

Overseas tourists want to depart from Sydney, not Newcastle.

Passengers from other Australian cities and towns (excluding Newcastle and the Hunter Valley) want to depart from Sydney. It's expensive enough getting from the airport to the current cruise terminals. Also those people want quick and easy access to the Sydney airport to return home after their cruise.

Sydneyites want to depart from Sydney. One of the advantages of living here is easy access to the cruise terminals.

Finally people who have Sydney as a port stop want to be in Sydney. Even White Bay is marginal. They don't want to be a couple of hours from the place that they want to sightsee in. Think of some of the port stops in Asia ie the ports for Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai, etc, which are a long way from the actual cities. :eek:

Close the OPT, sell the land off to the insanely Rich to build highrise apartments then use the funds to build a decent facility for cruise ships in Newcastle. Better chance of that than moving the Navy and destroying history for holiday makers.

lol. The story of Sydney's history - including its past deepwater passenger ship terminal.

And given our government's approach to developers, you may well be on to something...

Well I'd imagine any new development will be funded by selling the OPT.

Edited by GUT2407

Be fair, it's still four weeks until the end of the year. :p

And how much work will our political masters do in that four weeks??

I cannot see how that solves anything for Sydney, surely keeping the OPT and also having the Newcastle terminal would be better.

I doubt that would happen.

Overseas tourists want to depart from Sydney, not Newcastle.

Passengers from other Australian cities and towns (excluding Newcastle and the Hunter Valley) want to depart from Sydney. It's expensive enough getting from the airport to the current cruise terminals. Also those people want quick and easy access to the Sydney airport to return home after their cruise.

Sydneyites want to depart from Sydney. One of the advantages of living here is easy access to the cruise terminals.

Finally people who have Sydney as a port stop want to be in Sydney. Even White Bay is marginal. They don't want to be a couple of hours from the place that they want to sightsee in. Think of some of the port stops in Asia ie the ports for Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai, etc, which are a long way from the actual cities. :eek:

Good points.

And how much work will our political masters do in that four weeks??

Probably as much as they have in the last 4 weeks.;p

I hope they actually come up with a viable solution.

Yeah I guess we all do.

AND

I doubt it’s an easy decision.

Yeah I guess we all do.

AND

I doubt it’s an easy decision.

Not without cooperation with a good number of stakeholders involved, the navy would be a good place to start.

I know. Don't rebuild those two stadiums and use the money saved for a new terminal.

Priorities, mate.

Just like they rebuilt the award winning Darling Harbour precinct, and made it worse (but developers better off), this is the most efficient way to boost the property sector in the smallest amount of projects by rebuilding already owned property.

I have seen it reported that relocating the Navy would cost in excess of $5B. Without all the facilities at Garden Island.

As long as NSW is prepared to ante-up, we can find an answer.

I have seen it reported that relocating the Navy would cost in excess of $5B. Without all the facilities at Garden Island.

As long as NSW is prepared to ante-up, we can find an answer.

Surely the navy can relocate to all the various areas around the country that already exist.:D

Surely the navy can relocate to all the various areas around the country that already exist.:D

But they may need expanding staff would need relocating, including getting more defence housing.

Equipment will need relocating.

My question is, transport to Garden Island if they did go there.

But they may need expanding staff would need relocating, including getting more defence housing.

Willing to bet that Defense Housing cheaper anywhere outside of Sydney! :evilsmile:

Transport to GI better than White Elephant Bay!

Willing to bet that Defense Housing cheaper anywhere outside of Sydney! :evilsmile:

Maybe cheaper, but how many will have accomodation in or around Sydney but need defence housing if posted out.

Yeah anything is better than transport to white elephant.

The advantage of Garden Island is that, with a bit of modification to it's shape, it could handle at least four cruise ships of varying sizes. It's really the only place in the harbour, east of the bridge that could be converted to a modern terminal with multiple berths.

There is already a ferry terminal there and, like many overseas ports, they could run shuttle buses to a convenient place in the city.

The advantage of Garden Island is that, with a bit of modification to it's shape, it could handle at least four cruise ships of varying sizes. It's really the only place in the harbour, east of the bridge that could be converted to a modern terminal with multiple berths.

There is already a ferry terminal there and, like many overseas ports, they could run shuttle buses to a convenient place in the city.

Perhaps a long-term strategy to move the Navy out starting with shared use with one side Navy and the other for Cruise Terminal.

Over time (say 10 years) the Navy can move their infrastructure to Jervis Bay and Darwin and GI can be reconfigured to host 2 or 3 ships up to mega size.

This seems to lend weight to this type of solution.

https://www.governmentnews.com.au/2017/10/park-cruise-ships-garden-island-government-told/

Good points in the article in #27. However, I cannot see it being a vote winner in State or Federal elections. To many NIMBY's who do not look at the big picture and that all re-development is bad. You just have to read all the negative comments in the Newcastle press about the proposed cruise terminal and light rail there.

Perhaps a long-term strategy to move the Navy out starting with shared use with one side Navy and the other for Cruise Terminal.

Over time (say 10 years) the Navy can move their infrastructure to Jervis Bay and Darwin and GI can be reconfigured to host 2 or 3 ships up to mega size.

https://www.governmentnews.com.au/2017/10/park-cruise-ships-garden-island-government-told/

Unfortunately that is the sort of hotchpotch solution that they are likely to agree to, and subsequent reconfiguring would be very expensive. They should sort it out now, then develop a top notch cruise terminal capable of servicing multiple ships, and do it right first time. Ah, I must be dreaming, they'd never do that! :rolleyes:

Defence housing is also located all around the nation near any base already, they could sell one in Sydney and buy 2 or more additional ones elsewhere.

Agreed.

It is not the first time this has been suggested, I hope it is seriously considered.:D

Interesting article, at least there is some motivation behind it..

Defence housing is also located all around the nation near any base already, they could sell one in Sydney and buy 2 or more additional ones elsewhere.

Only about 1/4 of defence housing is owned by DHA. Most are leased from private owners and the tenanted on to personnel.

In my area, some of the leaves are 10 years, renewable. Good investments for those with some capital -- until defence decides to relocate.

Edited by Docker123

Only about 1/4 of defence housing is owned by DHA. Most are leased from private owners and the tenanted on to personnel.

In my area, some of the leaves are 10 years, renewable. Good investments for those with some capital -- until defence decides to relocate.

The same point I was going to make.

I reckon dig a big canal from Sydney Harbour to Canberra, build the new RAN HQ/Naval Dockyard there. Plenty of room in NATCAP, right Mic?

Just thinking, bet the OPT site would be worth a few bucks if developed for housing etc. defray a lot of the cost of the navy relocating.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, I was referring to those that are owned, as for leases, I am sure some of the lease agreements will be cheaper as well

I reckon dig a big canal from Sydney Harbour to Canberra, build the new RAN HQ/Naval Dockyard there. Plenty of room in NATCAP, right Mic?

I would love to have a canal from Canberra down to Batemans Bay, it would need some serious steps to rival Neptune's staircase though.

Yes, I was referring to those that are owned, as for leases, I am sure some of the lease agreements will be cheaper as well

But not if they have to service the balance of the ten years lease that’s no longer needed because the6 have moved out of Sydney.