An Adventure to Seattle to Catch the Pearl

Dcoy

we hate flying so we thought we'd take a relaxing Amtrak train trip from Chicago to Seattle. This is normally a 42 hour trip.

Yesterday, our full day on the train, a water truck decided he could beat the train to the crossing near Minot ND. Wrong!!!!!! He missed the first engine and manage to saverly damage the second engine, a baggage car, and the crew sleeper car. Most of the rest of the 11 car train also had minor damage. Amazing the driver nor any of the 338 passengers were injured.

We were detained over 2 hrs while the police investaged (and gave him a ticket) along with Amtrak personnel evaluating the damage. We had to go to the next town and wait another 2 hrs for another engine since we needed two to get through the mountains. They also had to transfer all our checked luggage and find room for the crew as we left the engine and two damaged cars in Minot. Sheet metal work had to be done on some of the remaining cars so no one would get hurt walking near the train during the rest of the trip.

We pulled into Seattle 4 hours late today. As I stepped off the train, I over heard a baggage handler say "Where's the baggage car?" I replied, "About 1,000 miles behind us".

Luckily I built in two days before the cruise. This train normally arrives around 10:30 am so someone could theoretically make a cruise leaving the same day.

Now we can look forward to the return train trip after the cruise. :eek:

Don

Wowsie... now that's a new one. Glad you guys were alright.

But your story is just another reason why one should never travel and sail on the same day...unless perhaps if they're driving. But even that can be sketchy.

Enjoy your cruise. The Pearl is wonderful.

WOW!! Glad you are okay!! What an experience you had!

Living in the hurricane alley also has its chances so we more or less always book to fly out at least 2 days before the cruise!

We have had our outward flight cancelled and rebooked to next day 3 times so far.

Wowsie... now that's a new one. Glad you guys were alright.

But your story is just another reason why one should never travel and sail on the same day...unless perhaps if they're driving. But even that can be sketchy.

Enjoy your cruise. The Pearl is wonderful.

Well, driving on same day to port has its chances ... especially if the drive is a few hours or so.

One cruise a family almost missed the cruise out of Miami as they hit some roadworks AND then a traffic hold-up on the way to port. She said "never again, next time we fly" and I added "do that on the day before!!"