Luftner / Luetner River Cruises - Buyer Beware

jeromed

Health of parents (among others) is a reason for cancellation under a normal cancellation policy. It doesn't require a "cancel for any reason" clause.

That was my main reason, but when you live in an area where jobs are not good, and various other reasons I wanted the cancel at any time. I went through a 13 week lay off just a while ago, and thought we may be using it.

That was my main reason, but when you live in an area where jobs are not good, and various other reasons I wanted the cancel at any time. I went through a 13 week lay off just a while ago, and thought we may be using it.

Understood

It was a Santana Adventures arranged trip.

And I should add that Santana is trying to do the right thing by offering a discount on future trips. And they did offer full refunds to anyone who wanted to cancel by the next morning. However dealing with tandems, particularly their transportation, is not easy so we just hoped for the best and continued with the trip.

And there is a difference between being legally correct and doing the right thing for customer. I doubt Santana will book any future travel with Luftner and I know we will NEVER book anything with them.

And hopefully readers of this thread will give 'Luftner' a wide berth also.

Perhaps a burst on Facebook will add to their embarrassment.

If I was the OP I would have taken the refund, booked my own hotels and biked between hotels myself (taking what I needed for a couple of days in small back packs and ship the luggage ahead by couriers (have done that in the past). The Danube has very very nice bike paths along much of its route between Passau and Budapest.

Without details of the contract between Santana and Luftner I'm still not seeing a solid case to be answered by Luftner...

Santana are trying to bridge a line between co-ordinating group bookings and acting as a tour company and the passengers are suffering as a result.

If Tauck had a problem with one of their charters do you think we'd hear them blaming the owners of the ship?

No, they would step up and sort things out for their passengers, then privately deal with the charter company.

If I was the OP I would have taken the refund, booked my own hotels and biked between hotels myself (taking what I needed for a couple of days in small back packs and ship the luggage ahead by couriers (have done that in the past). The Danube has very very nice bike paths along much of its route between Passau and Budapest.

Unfortunately the very reason for existence of these Santana tours is to avoid doing precisely that, so I can understand the reluctance to shift to that at short notice.

You need a better insurance agent. There are indeed 100% CFAR coverage policies available: "If you do need to cancel, you will be reimbursed 100%"

https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel-insurance-plans-coverages/trip-cancellation-vs-cancel-for-any-reason/

From this link:

Unlike basic trip cancellation coverage, the CFAR benefit has a few eligibility criteria:

• Depending on the policy, only available within 10-30 days of initial trip payment
  • You MUST insure 100% of your pre-paid, non-refundable trip cost
  • Cancellation with the travel supplier must occur 48 or 72 hours before departure date, depending on the plan
  • Benefits may only cover between 50%-75% depending on the policy

The only part that discusses payout at 100% is for the cancellation of a trip for specific unforeseen, covered reasons, such as illness. What sense would it make for an insurance company to sell a CFAR policy that paid out at 100%?

... but are there any without this part though... ?

Cancellation with the travel supplier must occur 48 or 72 hours before departure date, depending on the plan

You are correct. You must cancel within a certain time period before commencing travel. OP was offered a full refund, but chose to take the trip.

It was a Santana Adventures arranged trip

And they did offer full refunds to anyone who wanted to cancel by the next morning

. . Edited by 6rugrats

I am booked on Amadeus Silver III next year and have no qualms whatsoever. The fault and responsibility lie with Santana, not Luftner. Luftner did not market the trip nor collect payment.

If I buy a washer at HH Gregg and it does not work when delivered, I go back to HH Gregg, not the manufacturer. Santana needed a back up plan and they are the ones who did not deliver.

Santana should get the burst on FB, not the cruise line.

• 1 year later...

We went on a cruise/cycling trip with Santana Adventures.  Many things went wrong and Santana Adventures was quick to blame others and never accepted any responsibility for the problems.  We will never travel with them again.