(Almost) Live from the Whisper - Southampton to Montreal

RosseauGirl

Hello jolly.

Hope all good and you are enjoying.

:-)

Having a wonderful time (and more or less maintaining our traditional trivia placing) - we are currently approaching Prince Christian Sound in almost calm seas and almost clear skies so I am optimistic that the scenic cruising today will be magnificent. This is important since the main attraction for me on this itinerary is to see Greenland before it melts.

We've actually been extremely lucky with the weather - apart from the first day north after Northern Ireland, it's been good for the North Atlantic. Outside temperature 51 degrees at 7.30 am, can't complain altho' I do find cold difficult, being so unused to it.

I'd echo RGirl's comments about the food - it has been outstanding - and Sergio and Henry DeRoza are very visible, keeping it all running smoothly. And we had such fun with David Bilsland on board with his market visits and cooking demos and competitions - sadly for us, but not for him, he disembarked at Reykjavik to go home to celebrate with his wife for her 50th birthday. I guess there aren't too many markets to visit in Greenland anyway ...

Even Vicky Van T is growing on me - I cruised with her when she was a very new CD and her raw edges kinda rubbed me the wrong way but she's hugely improved and we're doing much better now. Her collection of evening gowns has expanded into some very beautiful numbers which I study with a professional eye; if I ever wore dresses I might be envious.

Looking forward tonight to the first show from Ian Kendall, the magician who joined the ship in Reykjavik. He's a tall good looking Scot who actually made a living as a computer geek before turning to magic, he's also a commercial pilot - how do people do all these things? I feel extremely boring in contrast.

Ah well, time to see if I can find my gloves; I think I packed some ...

Edited by jollyjones

Prince Christian Sound on a bright sunny calm day ... words fail, magnificent is entirely inadequate ... we are so lucky.

Snow pack, glaciers, high peaks, sheer cliffs, waterfalls, icebergs, still flat water, silence (mostly), gliding amongst all of it with a hot mulled wine in hand ...

Prince Christian Sound on a bright sunny calm day ... words fail, magnificent is entirely inadequate ... we are so lucky.

Snow pack, glaciers, high peaks, sheer cliffs, waterfalls, icebergs, still flat water, silence (mostly), gliding amongst all of it with a hot mulled wine in hand ...

Sounds amazing.

Even without mittens.

I'm on board too, maintaining a low profile. :) I haven't heard anything but my guess is we may be going to miss Gaspe. Reason for that conclusion is that if you look at the Quebec Port details of our visit they have us arriving at 12 noon on September 6th and departing at 7.00pm on September 7th. The original schedule was a 7.00pm arrival and departure on each day. As well, the Quebec port authorities list our origin as Cornerbrook rather than Gaspe.

As I said, my guess but I might be totally wrong. It would not be the first time! The captain has just announced we have rough seas as we cross from Greenland to Canada so batten down the hatches!

Officially confirmed now - bypassing Gaspe and arriving earlier to Quebec City at 1pm instead of 7pm - an overall gain IMO, others may disagree, but I can't see what else SS could have done in the situation anyway.

I feel sorry for the people of Gaspe, they're losing a lot of cruise ship calls because of this regulation, but the Canadian Gov't does say it's temporary, maybe ships'll come back in the future.

Roughish seas last night, still rolling some today under cool and overcast skies but nothing too desperate, although as we are following the course (probably) of Leif Erikson I'm not too sure how I'd feel about doing it in a Viking longboat.

After a rather busy and stressful month, we are finally waiting in the Lounge at Pearson for our flight to Gatwick. Our travelling companion is en route, so T and I are doing the reasonable thing, and testing all the different white wines on offer. Westjet is supposedly still on time, but we'll see....

Looking forward to a couple of days at the Waldorf in London, which is one of my favourite hotels, before we head to the Whisper in Southampton.

M

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are sailing NYC to Montreal in two weeks on this ship. I have never been on a Silverseas ship...and our cruise experience is very limited...only been on Azamara once. Thank you for posting...and its been interesting reading. I will admit I have listening to what you are saying...because I think you "get it". My summers were spent on Rosseau...near Windemere. So...I figure if you like it...you get it...its has to be good. Would you mind if I asked you questions about the ship...tips? questions about excursions, etc. You seem to be very knowledgeable. Thank you in advance...and

We are sailing NYC to Montreal in two weeks on this ship. I have never been on a Silverseas ship...and our cruise experience is very limited...only been on Azamara once. Thank you for posting...and its been interesting reading. I will admit I have listening to what you are saying...because I think you "get it". My summers were spent on Rosseau...near Windemere. So...I figure if you like it...you get it...its has to be good. Would you mind if I asked you questions about the ship...tips? questions about excursions, etc. You seem to be very knowledgeable. Thank you in advance...and

Hello fellow Rossea area Sheltiegirl!

Ask away, not a problem! We truly enjoy our time on SS, hope I can help [emoji4] we did Montreal to NY last year, so we probably did some of the same ports.

Michele

Careful what you wish for ...

I do enjoy having a lot of sea days and this cruise seems destined to give them to me. We had a long rolling swell this morning when we arrived at L'Anse aux Meadows so our tendering was deemed unsafe - and I quite agreed, I was contemplating opting out of going on the excursion to the Viking Village when the announcement was made so then I didn't have to struggle with the decision. Whew.

We're on our way to Corner Brook now under wonderfully sunny skies but with a biting cold wind- once sheltered from the wind it's very pleasant to sit on deck and watch the sea go by. Another lazy day beckons...

Once again, I am onside with jolly jones - an unexpected sea day for the crew, but sunny skies and reasonably fair seas made for an enjoyable but quiet day. Off to Cornerbrook, hoping to satisfy my Timmie's coffee craving!

I signed up for this particular cruise based on the itinerary, so I'm a little less excited about the additional sea days. In particular I was really looking forward to visiting the Viking settlement. But the food has been excellent, the service outstanding, and the companionship convivial, so I won't complain too much! Now that we're back in Canada it feels like the cruise is almost over, even though we still have today, Tuesday & *** before we disembark.

My biggest challenge today will be figuring out how to watch the Labour Day game between the Stamps and the Esks, as the all aboard is about the same time as kickoff. Might have to buy a days worth of high speed internet.

I signed up for this particular cruise based on the itinerary, so I'm a little less excited about the additional sea days. In particular I was really looking forward to visiting the Viking settlement. But the food has been excellent, the service outstanding, and the companionship convivial, so I won't complain too much! Now that we're back in Canada it feels like the cruise is almost over, even though we still have today, Tuesday & *** before we disembark.

My biggest challenge today will be figuring out how to watch the Labour Day game between the Stamps and the Esks, as the all aboard is about the same time as kickoff. Might have to buy a days worth of high speed internet.

We are also looking forward to a bit of land time! Fortunately we were in Gaspe last year, so not a loss for us. Having the extra half day in Quebec City is also a bonus. And even better, we're back to Rogers cell service - it just hasn't felt right leaving my phone behind!

I can't emphasize more how exceptional the food has been on this cruise, and how outstanding the crew and service has been. The crew show last night was hilarious, but goes to show how talented all of these people are.

For today - a bit of Newfoundland hospitality [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello fellow Rossea area Sheltiegirl!

Ask away, not a problem! We truly enjoy our time on SS, hope I can help [emoji4] we did Montreal to NY last year, so we probably did some of the same ports.

Michele

Sorry for the delay...we took in a rescue dog and have been busy with getting her settled! Nothing like taking on an extra task before we leave on the cruise! ( but she is a sweet girl who needed a good home :))

My questions...

-We have tried to book dinner reservations for La Terrazza...and it seems filled up. Do things open up once we get sailing? I am assuming all the food is great...but Calgary has horrible Italian food and I was so pumped to get my fill!

-is the Grill outside? And is it warm enough to eat there at night?

-any of the excursions your would recommend? Quebec City? Cornerbrook? St. John's? I am renting a car in Halifax to explore the area because I lived there as a kid and feel brave enough to just go explore. Have you done that in other cities or just stuck to the ship's excursions?

-how strict is the dress code? I have been reading TOO much about the dress code..are jeans allowed on board for daytime? Can my husband wear good jeans and a blazer for dinner if we go casual dining? ( I am thinking warmth here.) Are leggings and boots ok for me? I should not get so uptight about what to wear...but it seems I keep getting this impression that things are pretty rigid.

Please excuse me if any of this sounds like I live in a vacuum. We are pretty virgin to this whole experience and want to enjoy and be a little smarter before we pack our bags.

Thanks so much......

Sorry for the delay...we took in a rescue dog and have been busy with getting her settled! Nothing like taking on an extra task before we leave on the cruise! ( but she is a sweet girl who needed a good home :))

My questions...

-We have tried to book dinner reservations for La Terrazza...and it seems filled up. Do things open up once we get sailing? I am assuming all the food is great...but Calgary has horrible Italian food and I was so pumped to get my fill!

-any of the excursions your would recommend? Quebec City? Cornerbrook? St. John's? I am renting a car in Halifax to explore the area because I lived there as a kid and feel brave enough to just go explore. Have you done that in other cities or just stuck to the ship's excursions?

-how strict is the dress code? I have been reading TOO much about the dress code..are jeans allowed on board for daytime? Can my husband wear good jeans and a blazer for dinner if we go casual dining? ( I am thinking warmth here.) Are leggings and boots ok for me? I should not get so uptight about what to wear...but it seems I keep getting this impression that things are pretty rigid.

Please excuse me if any of this sounds like I live in a vacuum. We are pretty virgin to this whole experience and want to enjoy and be a little smarter before we pack our bags.

Thanks so much......

Others will chip in but here is my comment on some of your questions:

When you board if you head t the Maitre d', either in La Terrazza or The Restaurant ,with a list of your preferred dates to dine in La Terrazza, he will accommodate you at least for most of your dates. The food in La Terrazza is excellent. The only problem I have had on a couple of occasions is that the pasta has been overcooked. A quick comment to the waiter will fix that if it is an issue for you.

The Grill is outside under cover from the overhang of the deck above but you are largely protected from the elements by rugs and heaters. It is a hot rocks type meal and once or twice during the cruise was enough for me. If the weather is really inclement the evening grill will be cancelled as there is not a lot of point if it is too rough or desperately cold or windy.

As to the dress code jeans are fine during daytime. They do not allow them (at least in theory) in the restaurant at night. Smart jeans and a blazer at the Pool grill would not cause a comment.

In reality, the dress code is quite relaxed and should not cause a problem. Just no jean in the indoor venues at night!

Hope this helps a bit!

My questions...

Thanks so much......

Good morning!

Turtlemichael has provided great responses. As for excursions, we have not done St John's, but did do some walking tours through the ship in Quebec City. For Cornerbrook, we had planned to go exploring by car on our own, but didn't, for various reasons. Instead we ended up at the Legion, getting screeched - heck of a lot of fun. Overall, we tend to mix the ships offerings and our own plans, depending on what we know about the port.

Not sure why La Terrazza would show as full - we have eaten the 4x this trip and it was never more than half full. Good advice from turtlemichael to check with your butler on board.

Another unexpected sea day today, but SS has provided free wifi for the day to make up for it. Good thing, as I seem to have been hit with some out-of-the-blue seasickness during dinner last night. I foresee a quiet day en suite.

Cheers all!

M

Michele: any idea how to access the free wifi? My options when I log in are just the 1 hour complimentary or the paid packages.

Are you sure the sea sickness wasn't at all related to the Screech? (Although I had no untoward reactions, so maybe it was the hardtack?).

Hope you're feeling better.

Not sure why La Terrazza would show as full - we have eaten the 4x this trip and it was never more than half full. Good advice from turtlemichael to check with your butler on board.

La Terrazza is always half full at night, they only take a limited number of bookings in order to be able to offer the expected food and service with a small galley. This is why breakfast and lunch is a buffett.

I think they deliberately don't fully book it pre-cruise so there should be space to make reservations after boarding.

On the subject of The Grill in inclement weather - a friend and I ate out there the night we had cruised through Prince Christian Sound because we wanted a memorable experience since neither of us thought we'd be likely to dine outdoors in Greenland again. We had the place almost to ourselves with Francesco's undivided attention, the food stayed plenty hot enough on the hot rock, and it wasn't even too cold sitting under the heaters swathed in blankets. Truly unforgettable - it all depends on what mindset you choose.

On this second leg of our cruise I added a couple of nights for La Terrazza with the Maitre d' without difficulty. The nights had been full for months on line and were in reality quieter than many others. So just ask when you board.

We are all different but to me Hot Rocks is a tired concept. I enjoyed it, and my steaks were excellent, but not enough to do it 3 times :) I think it is, if they still do it, one of the few things Seabourn do better than Silversea. I am sure it will continue as is or in some modified form because of the limited number of dining choices on Whisper. The ship is fortunate that it has such a good restaurant and La Terrazza is imho excellent. I have heard very few complaints about the food and wine on board this ship.

The Pool Grill staff I have spoken to seem to appreciate the odd night too not being out on deck when the elements are not cooperating.

Hot Rocks might actually be more fun in truly bad weather. We were there one evening when the fog horn blared every 60 seconds (or so it seemed). It made conversation difficult, but we had a great time. The meat and seafood are excellent. The sides and dessert need to be improved or just changed.