re meat pies

18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're having a European food journey today.

We started off in France with freshly baked croissants for breakfast. The croissants were the frozen ones from Coles, with French jam.

For lunch we went to Italy. My basil plant has been going berserk so we had Insalata Caprese with garlic crostini.

20210905_143227.thumb.jpg.41744de2ec9f3003a402cff9b07dcf3d.jpg

I was planning on cooking a roast chook tonight but that sounded too ordinary, so we're going to Greece for garlic, herb and lemon roast chicken which I'll serve with crispy potato chunks and a salad.

Look up Womans Weekly cook book "Easy Greek Style Cookery" and you will find a recipe for Roasted Vegetables "Briami" which will go splendidly with that chook. Potatoes, Zuccini, Tomatoes, Celery, Red Spanish Onion, Garlic, Parsley, Mint, Dill, Olive oil.

Edited by Russell21
extra bit.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Look up Womans Weekly cook book "Easy Greek Style Cookery" and you will find a recipe for Roasted Vegetables "Briami" which will go splendidly with that chook. Potatoes, Zuccini, Tomatoes, Celery, Red Spanish Onion, Garlic, Parsley, Mint, Dill, Olive oil.

Thanks but too late. I had to work with what I already had. I roasted the potatoes around the chook and they took on some of the lemony herbal oil so were very tasty. The salad gave a nice refreshing contrast.

Anyway it was a fun food day, with happy memories of trips to Europe.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Welcome back Brian, bet you don't get that pie pizza in Essex or Calabria. More like Jellied Eels and Spaget, lol.

Cheers Uncle Les,nice to see you're still posting with the old banter.Our P&O thread has just reached 1000 pages.I thought the meat pie thread was long enough,lol.Pop in and see us over here,we have a good crowd now,Brian.

• Haha 1

I managed to find the Gluten Free meat pies at Coles the other day - not ideal but ok to be able to share a pie with hubby when he wants pie for dinner. I haven't mastered pastry cooking so frozen will have to do.

Heatherbrae pies on the Southern Highlands so a good GF pie unfortunately with lockdown don't live close enough.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kate59 said:

I managed to find the Gluten Free meat pies at Coles the other day - not ideal but ok to be able to share a pie with hubby when he wants pie for dinner. I haven't mastered pastry cooking so frozen will have to do.

Heatherbrae pies on the Southern Highlands so a good GF pie unfortunately with lockdown don't live close enough.

I have tried the Coles ones, not bad, but the ones in pic are from Woolworths, better.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That looks tasty, doesn't need any sriracha sauce, that stuff just makes good food inedible

Agree, that sauce is highly contagious,  awful, once was enough for me, I poured it on like ketchup.  Aaaaaagh.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:24 AM, gbenjo said:

Finally tried the Four & Twenty butter chicken pies ……….5/10  average at best 👎👎👎. Sadly they come in a pack of four so I will have to eat the other two at some time…no rush.

41 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Here is a new one, Butter Chicken, from Four 'n Twenty. Anyone tried them?

image.png.544d0c656acf49d48ddb15820e8a50c6.png

Here's one review, not very promising I'm afraid 😂

4 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Less is more in the case of Sriracha😉. Personally love the stuff better than Tabasco IMO

I don't mind a couple of drops of Tabasco, but the Sriracha is dynamite to my palate.

The Lancashire Relish is a great sauce, better than Worcestershire IMO. Milder, Smoother, fruitier.  Good on a pie or steak/sausages. Available in Woollies.

878935821_lancashirerelish.jpg.7bf4333beffb9262f8f88b35670f26eb.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Less is more in the case of Sriracha😉. Personally love the stuff better than Tabasco IMO

I avoid the sriracha unless it is already in the Asian dish I am being served. I used to use tabasco now and then but I have ditched that in favour of Cholula chipotle sauce. Has a nice bit of heat and actually has some flavour other than hot.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I prefer flavour and a little heat rather than just hot. I don't want the meal to be uncomfortable and/or becoming a macho competition  on who can eat the hottest spice.

Crikey Mic, you have a load of exposure sites in ACT, is it restricting your access to a meat pie? 

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, the local bakery is shut for lockdown.

We are isolating as much as possible, weekly trips to the supermarket only, in and out in 20 minutes or less if I can.

I had to reschedule my appt in Cbr until mid Nov as ACT Health refused me admission. If they do issue exemption, it is two exemptions required by ACT and NSW, plus 14 days quarantine on return home. Perhaps things may improve by mid Nov, who knows.  

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I avoid the sriracha unless it is already in the Asian dish I am being served. I used to use tabasco now and then but I have ditched that in favour of Cholula chipotle sauce. Has a nice bit of heat and actually has some flavour other than hot.

It is one of the reasons I like the sriracha, it is more than just heat it is garlicky, salty and sour. To me it is not that spicy a sauce. I personally find the fermented chilli paste gochujang hotter, but it is also salty, sweet and umami🌶️😋. However I do like a smoky chilli sauce so that Cholula chipotle sounds very nice. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1