re meat pies

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

We always cooked a giant turkey for christmas, bit of an effort but worth it, recent years we did a turkey buffe, the breast. Nice.

I've done a rolled turkey breast a couple of times which was very nice, but I prefer cooking turkey on the bone and I like having the wings to eat.

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Does a free range chook taste any different, i dont know, i just get the bbq chook from the supermarket.

I think so.  I just buy mine from the heated chickens at the supermarket.  However, they don't taste as good as free range chickens bought from small producers at markets.  The best I've tasted were from a market in Canberra.  Of course all chooks used to be free range from a pen in the backyard, when I was young.  Then you only ate cook on Sunday Dinner or on a special occasion.  

14 hours ago, possum52 said:

We tend to have turkey buffe these days too Les. No waste really and easy to cook. We heard today on the news, there is likely to be a shortage of hams for Christmas. I hope not.

Leigh

You might have to stock up on cans of Spam Leigh,  I don't mind a Spam sambo or Spam and Eggs for brekkie.   Do you know the Americans left millions of cans of Spam in the Phillipines and Pacific Islands after WW2, the locals are still eating it, true.

th (2).jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, NSWP said:

Does a free range chook taste any different, i dont know, i just get the bbq chook from the supermarket.

I think it is false advertising when they say Free range chickens...you still have to pay for them don't you?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

I think it is false advertising when they say Free range chickens...you still have to pay for them don't you?

Indeed and who can tell if they are free range or they lived in cages, don't always believe what it says on the tin, or in this case the carton. Like the RSPCA approved meat, lol.

54 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Indeed and who can tell if they are free range or they lived in cages, don't always believe what it says on the tin, or in this case the carton. Like the RSPCA approved meat, lol.

The chicken carrying the keys are the live in ones......

the others live on the range.... is that like a stove...  

does that mean the range ones turn into roasted chickens????

crossing the other side of the road ... I prefer.. eggs over easy..

But the big question is which came first........ lol

Cheers Don

OK, talking about free range eggs, cage bred eggs, RSPCA eggs.  On the cruise ships, they use liquid eggs from a carton in making omelettes, scrambled eggs, so you don't know if you are getting free range or what.  Who really cares, I don't, eggs is is eggs.

th (2).jpg

Edited by NSWP

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

OK, talking about free range eggs, cage bred eggs, RSPCA eggs.  On the cruise ships, they use liquid eggs from a carton in making omelettes, scrambled eggs, so you don't know if you are getting free range or what.  Who really cares, I don't, eggs is is eggs.

th (2).jpg

Are they always what they are "cracked" up to be ????....the yolks will come thick and fast now...always happy to" shell" out for good "free" range eggs  even though they are not free. etc etc

46 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

The chicken carrying the keys are the live in ones......

the others live on the range.... is that like a stove...  

does that mean the range ones turn into roasted chickens????

crossing the other side of the road ... I prefer.. eggs over easy..

But the big question is which came first........ lol

Cheers Don

That question has been answered. The egg came first, well before the chicken. Birds are descendants of the dinosaurs, and dinosaurs were egg layers, so according to the scientists the egg came before the chickens.

I hope I don't end up with 'Egg on my face' for going off topic on the meat pie topic.  So back on topic our Batehaven bakery does a 'Tradie pie', egg and bacon of course, probably not free range range though, they would use the cheapest available.

th (3).jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I hope I don't end up with 'Egg on my face' for going off topic on the meat pie topic.  So back on topic our Batehaven bakery does a 'Tradie pie', egg and bacon of course, probably not free range range though, they would use the cheapest available.

th (3).jpg

Do tell Uncle Les, how does a quiche become a "Tradie" pie?

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have not tried one but from those who have it is like scrambled egg with chopped bacon, not unlike a small quiche, but more like a breakfast pie, I suppose it was named a tradies pie because they bought them on way to work for brekkie or morning tea, there are variants I am told.. Pity I cannot sample these delicacies, bloody gluten.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Quiche usually has a lot of cream in it. 

Those pies are probably just like standard bacon and egg pies, ie beaten eggs and chopped bacon, without the top crust. 

34 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Quiche usually has a lot of cream in it. 

Those pies are probably just like standard bacon and egg pies, ie beaten eggs and chopped bacon, without the top crust. 

My egg and bacon pies are quite different to what you describe Julie. Mine has whole eggs, some chopped onion and chopped bacon with a pastry top. I usually make a family size pie and not individual ones. 

I have seen similar ones to what I make but individual ones at local bakeries.

Leigh

48 minutes ago, possum52 said:

My egg and bacon pies are quite different to what you describe Julie. Mine has whole eggs, some chopped onion and chopped bacon with a pastry top. I usually make a family size pie and not individual ones. 

I have seen similar ones to what I make but individual ones at local bakeries.

Leigh

I used to make mine with whole eggs but tried whisking them once and decided I preferred it that way. I add onion, capsicum, and sometimes peas. Mind you, I haven't made one in years. I switched to making muffin-sized frittatas when I was trying to lose weight.

It's quite funny though, I'd been thinking of making bacon and egg pies recently but hadn't got around to it. I actually prefer them cold so might make either a big one, or some small ones, for lunches.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I used to make mine with whole eggs but tried whisking them once and decided I preferred it that way. I add onion, capsicum, and sometimes peas. Mind you, I haven't made one in years. I switched to making muffin-sized frittatas when I was trying to lose weight.

It's quite funny though, I'd been thinking of making bacon and egg pies recently but hadn't got around to it. I actually prefer them cold so might make either a big one, or some small ones, for lunches.

I have made them both ways over the years but have reverted to making them with whole eggs like my mother did. I made one a few weeks ago. Had it straight out of the dinner for dinner with salad and then cold for lunch the next day. 

Leigh