re meat pies

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

I think Americans love anything Big... like cars, and burgers   ( don't mind the big cars )

I think on Princess they serve a 22oz steak....   I remember one of my work colleagues, order a pounder at McDonald... a quarter pounder  with a mid bun and Four Meat Patties 

Don

They’d love me then, though looking at some reports I might be a bit thin for them.

On 1/12/2021 at 12:46 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

We went to one Italian restaurant in New York that had ridiculous portion sizes. They claimed they served 2-3 people so we ordered one appetiser and one main between us. Each would have served 4-5 people. Not a good place to go to as a couple but good for big family groups. Even families of six were leaving large amounts uneaten. What a waste!

With a tour group of Aussies we stopped for lunch at a restaurant and one lady in the group wasn't very hungry so she ordered a Caesar salad entree.😀😃😄😆😲

On 1/11/2021 at 5:48 PM, NSWP said:

I love lamb, have lamb chops, lamb steaks or un crumbled cutlets once a week, got plenty of mint growing, saw the ad, rather funny. I normally get 4 chops or cutlets for a feed, bottle of shiraz of course.

You (and Sam K) left out one of my lamb favourites. Crumbed lambs brains with Worcestershire sauce.

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

Isn't entrees in USA what we can a main anyway? 

In Usa entree is the main course. Got me confused on our first trip to usa and cruising from there in 2002.  Having some coon cheese, sorry  cheese and rice crackers and hardys stamp merlot, happy hour. What a travesty of justice changinging from Coon.

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

How is it pronounced in the US Mic?

Leigh

Depends on the State, aaarntray, entree, ontree or for the red necked republicans... gimme food, now !

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Depends on the State, aaarntray, entree, ontree or for the red necked republicans... gimme food, now !

Oh dear!  LOL sounds very weird, right?  If you've done high school French you would know that "entree" means "to enter" - as in entering a room or a meal?  So it would seem that Americans can neither speak English nor French? 😉

Have my trusty Shield of Power ready to deflect incoming barbs and arrows.  LC is ducking and weaving. 😷

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

French vowels are very similar to German ones. If you speak any of those languages you shouldnt have any pronunciation problems. In any case you will be corrected if needed 

You obviously speak neither French or German !

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Oh dear!  LOL sounds very weird, right?  If you've done high school French you would know that "entree" means "to enter" - as in entering a room or a meal?  So it would seem that Americans can neither speak English nor French? 😉

Have my trusty Shield of Power ready to deflect incoming barbs and arrows.  LC is ducking and weaving. 😷

In the 1800s Entree was the third dish in a formal French menu whereas what we today call Main would be the fourth dish. Over time formal menus were reduced to a basic three menu plan. No one is really clear why but in UK English which is what Australia mostly follows we took the third, fourth and sixth dishes which became Entree, Main Dessert while USA took the second, third and sixth dish which became Appetizer, Entree, Dessert. So personally I blame the French for making it complicated in the first place😜

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

In the 1800s Entree was the third dish in a formal French menu whereas what we today call Main would be the fourth dish. Over time formal menus were reduced to a basic three menu plan. No one is really clear why but in UK English which is what Australia mostly follows we took the third, fourth and sixth dishes which became Entree, Main Dessert while USA took the second, third and sixth dish which became Appetizer, Entree, Dessert. So personally I blame the French for making it complicated in the first place😜

As a Brit, I find that you can usually blame the French for everything!

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there’s beef. And there’s beer.

Not sure I’m convinced, but may try..

https://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/news/theres-now-an-official-vbflavoured-sausage--but-does-it-taste-any-good-20210122-h1tj9a

Final sentence of review: This is a culinary marriage that will be consummated at many barbecues around the state. I now pronounce you, beer and sausage.

Edited by Docker123

6 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Well, there’s beef. And there’s beer.

Not sure I’m convinced, but may try..

https://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/news/theres-now-an-official-vbflavoured-sausage--but-does-it-taste-any-good-20210122-h1tj9a

The review is pretty positive. I did once have a pork and Guinness infused sausage which was pretty tasty 😊. Though I did prefer the Guinness and lamb pot pie😉

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So Mic is the beer in the pan with the onions or in Mic while he's cooking them 😁

Done right it should be a bit of both.

My uncle always poured beer on his steak while BBQing. Sometimes on -ur-owe even.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So Mic is the beer in the pan with the onions or in Mic while he's cooking them 😁

Lol, Most of the beer would go into me, but a little on the onions (before you take a swig) as you cook on the BBQ. The steam is nice to smell and the lingering taste in the onions is nice as well.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Done right it should be a bit of both.

My uncle always poured beer on his steak while BBQing. Sometimes on -ur-owe even.

I do it right.

No beer on the steak, I prefer a seasoning/rub, as you don't want the steak to be stewed in beer, it gets to tough without any colour.