re meat pies

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Is that against the rules?😉

Silly Canadian.😁

I think that you can have whatever sides you like with your pie Lyle. Macaroni cheese is probably not what Australians would choose. If we have pies for dinner, we would either have mashed potatoes and veggies or a tossed salad with chips.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think that you can have whatever sides you like with your pie Lyle. Macaroni cheese is probably not what Australians would choose. If we have pies for dinner, we would either have mashed potatoes and veggies or a tossed salad with chips.

Agreed, I have had numerous side options with a pie.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

And for desert a nice croissant with strawberries, what we call Bavarian Cream here, and whipped cream inside. Quite tasty.

654454150_strawberrycroisant.thumb.jpg.5fa0beb55e5a2016ecd54c8cb0d9d7dd.jpg

That looks yummy. 

What do you call Bavarian Cream? Is it like Creme Patissiere, ie a custard-like cream.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That looks yummy. 

What do you call Bavarian Cream? Is it like Creme Patissiere, ie a custard-like cream.

Yes I think so. They use it in donuts and other pastries, it has a bit of a vanilla flavour. It was an easy DIY deal. The Croissants from the store and they sell the Bavarian cream in the bakery section in little tubs. It was just a matter of prepping the berries and assemble with whipped cream.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes I think so. They use it in donuts and other pastries, it has a bit of a vanilla flavour. It was an easy DIY deal. The Croissants from the store and they sell the Bavarian cream in the bakery section in little tubs. It was just a matter of prepping the berries and assemble with whipped cream.

I looked it up. It's very similar to a creme patissiere but set with gelatin. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We had the pies at home but stopped at the store on the way home. I wanted something to go with the pies, neither of us wanted salad and the mag & cheese is always great comfort food. It's the 2nd day of fall and we are definitely starting to notice.

I can't handle regular mac and cheese these days, it's too rich and heavy for me. Luckily a friend put me on to a variation substituting some of the macaroni with cauliflower which makes it much lighter. Very yummy! I top it with a sprinkle of panko crumbs and parmesan for crunch 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, possum52 said:

46 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed, I have had numerous side options with a pie.

I have had a second pie as a side at times, or even a sausage roll

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I can't handle regular mac and cheese these days, it's too rich and heavy for me. Luckily a friend put me on to a variation substituting some of the macaroni with cauliflower which makes it much lighter. Very yummy! I top it with a sprinkle of panko crumbs and parmesan for crunch 

Try this one, I often eat it, rice macaroni, tasty, from Woolworths.

th (1).jpg

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Pie with macaroni cheese? 

Unusual, must be a Canadian thing.  Hot chips or mash potato with pies, nothing else, well sauce of course or mushy peas or gravy.

Edited by NSWP

55 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Unusual, must be a Canadian thing.  Hot chips or mash potato with pies, nothing else, well sauce of course or mushy peas or gravy.

Or a green leaf salad, or wedges, or sausage rolls, or roast vegies, coleslaw, pasta salad too many options to mention.

21 hours ago, possum52 said:

I don't think many Aussies would have meat pies for dinner would they, more a lunch thing.

20 hours ago, mr walker said:

I have had a second pie as a side at times, or even a sausage roll

Two course meal Neil, how about an apple turnover for dessert, make it a proper 3 course meal.

1957242143_applepie.jpg.43a8b29b118de7363e68d73711d8e781.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I don't think many Aussies would have meat pies for dinner would they, more a lunch thing.

I’ve devoured many for dinner. In fact got into big trouble off big sis for taking Mrs Gut to ‘Arry’s for our anniversary one year. Some might remember that on our round Aus cruise, way back when, MrsG was offered anywhere on the ship for birthday, specialty, MDR, balcony, Buffet (Come back fat tm) she chose pies at the burger stand, no wonder I love that woman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, NSWP said:

What is your favourite dead horse mate?

Perhaps..keep you going for a while, big 2 litres.

504181843_th(1).jpg.939edba9650725299a26f3f799b79d66.jpg

I use Aldi Colway sauce - 25% reduced salt and sugar which is still 17% sugar, BBQ sauce has  more. I used to buy 2l bottles but when we went off sugar I now get the small one and try not to use too much.  I'm a sugar addict and no longer buy sweets but I'm a sucker for chocolate but now only buy it occasionally as a treat. Even then I find it hard not to scoff it in one go. Haven't bought any sugar for about 5-6 years. I have a little in the pantry for guest's tea or coffee.

• Like 1