Jump to content

re meat pies


Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Two course meal Neil, how about an apple turnover for dessert, make it a proper 3 course meal.

1957242143_applepie.jpg.43a8b29b118de7363e68d73711d8e781.jpg

 

 

Yummmmmm. I have a weakness for these, especially with mock cream (high sugar content - see my previous post).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I don't think many Aussies would have meat pies for dinner would they, more a lunch thing.

We do, particularly during the colder months, either bought or homemade, ususally served with mashed spuds and veggies. Occasionally have one or a pastie for lunch. I also make pasties and sausage rolls sometimes. My daughter and daughter in law also make their own and serve for dinner.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We do, particularly during the colder months, either bought or homemade, ususally served with mashed spuds and veggies. Occasionally have one or a pastie for lunch. I also make pasties and sausage rolls sometimes. My daughter and daughter in law also make their own and serve for dinner.

Thanks Leigh, I don't think I ever had a meat pie for dinner, evening meal, not lunch !.  Even in my working days.  The pie shops closed in the arvo anyway.  Most bakeries that have pies down here have closed up with the lockdown, no business, no tourists and many locals are too paranoid with covid to go out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

3736040.jpg.beb32d144fa61f6780718e434f88b63c.jpgSacrilege!

OMG, I feel ill, who would eat such rubbish?

 

Pie day today, 12C down here and raining, yesterday was the coldest October day in Sydney and SE Coast, I think it just got to 11C here.

 

Lunch awaits...

GlutenFreeBakehousePartyPack-600x905.thumb.jpg.453117f338eac415e3df014ef69ace08.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Not only Pies, but rolls also. 😟  It is un-Australian. 😉

4209505.jpg.e48a428c4aef97b1f7ae2231f72aeedb.jpg

 

I've tried one of these however from a different brand. Wasn't great, hopefully Four n Twenty does a better version🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I would give it a go, or at least have some on hand for my DIL who is vegetarian.

I was on the fence with this, I think for me using the word meat is a bit of a problem. I think they should be labeled as Vegetable based savoury pies. Put the no meat part as an afterthought on the label.

Perhaps the Green banner should read plant based and the plant based above the banner could read Meat Free and the place where it says "Meat Free Pie" in the red banner could read Savoury Pie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

OMG, I feel ill, who would eat such rubbish?

 

Pie day today, 12C down here and raining, yesterday was the coldest October day in Sydney and SE Coast, I think it just got to 11C here.

 

Lunch awaits...

GlutenFreeBakehousePartyPack-600x905.thumb.jpg.453117f338eac415e3df014ef69ace08.jpg

Who would eat such rubbish? You ask.

 

People like Mrs Gut who need to follow a largely meat free diet, just as some eat gluten free rubbish, because they have to but would rather the real thing.

 

Mrs G loves the Linda McCartney “sausage” rolls, but the Pattie’s ones are was less $$$$ though only about 7/10 compared to the McCartney version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Who would eat such rubbish? You ask.

 

People like Mrs Gut who need to follow a largely meat free diet, just as some eat gluten free rubbish, because they have to but would rather the real thing.

 

Mrs G loves the Linda McCartney “sausage” rolls, but the Pattie’s ones are was less $$$$ though only about 7/10 compared to the McCartney version.

Now you know we jest mate...don't get too cranky old son.😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I was on the fence with this, I think for me using the word meat is a bit of a problem. I think they should be labeled as Vegetable based savoury pies. Put the no meat part as an afterthought on the label.

Perhaps the Green banner should read plant based and the plant based above the banner could read Meat Free and the place where it says "Meat Free Pie" in the red banner could read Savoury Pie.

 

I agree the wording bothers me. If you are vegetarian fine but why do you need to pretend something is meat? There was a vegan pie stall at a market I visited and they didn't use meat substitute on their label. They labelled it chickpea pie, seitan pie etc. I found it so refreshing that they weren't trying to convince me it was just like meat. They treated it as its own unique product and that's how IMO it should be. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

 

I agree the wording bothers me. If you are vegetarian fine but why do you need to pretend something is meat? There was a vegan pie stall at a market I visited and they didn't use meat substitute on their label. They labelled it chickpea pie, seitan pie etc. I found it so refreshing that they weren't trying to convince me it was just like meat. They treated it as its own unique product and that's how IMO it should be. 

 Just call these items 'Vegetarian Pies, etc. Would not be as confusing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Meat free Pies..... What the ?????

 

simply it is meat or it is not....... what is world coming too......

I like meat free pies, you know apple, and the such….

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just wanted to say "Thank you" for the info about the Woolworths Gluten Free Pies. I love them, tonight I am going to try the bacon quiche one but the chunky beef is as good a pie as I have tasted, although not a big pie eater.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2021 at 3:08 PM, GUT2407 said:

I like meat free pies, you know apple, and the such….

Don't care too much for meat free pies but….. free meat pies…now your talking.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Enjoy the Gift of Travel with Regent Seven Seas Cruises
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises Nov 29th at 3 p.m. EST
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...