re meat pies

37 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Two course meal Neil, how about an apple turnover for dessert, make it a proper 3 course meal.

1957242143_applepie.jpg.43a8b29b118de7363e68d73711d8e781.jpg

Yummmmmm. I have a weakness for these, especially with mock cream (high sugar content - see my previous post).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I don't think many Aussies would have meat pies for dinner would they, more a lunch thing.

We do, particularly during the colder months, either bought or homemade, ususally served with mashed spuds and veggies. Occasionally have one or a pastie for lunch. I also make pasties and sausage rolls sometimes. My daughter and daughter in law also make their own and serve for dinner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We do, particularly during the colder months, either bought or homemade, ususally served with mashed spuds and veggies. Occasionally have one or a pastie for lunch. I also make pasties and sausage rolls sometimes. My daughter and daughter in law also make their own and serve for dinner.

Thanks Leigh, I don't think I ever had a meat pie for dinner, evening meal, not lunch !.  Even in my working days.  The pie shops closed in the arvo anyway.  Most bakeries that have pies down here have closed up with the lockdown, no business, no tourists and many locals are too paranoid with covid to go out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

3736040.jpg.beb32d144fa61f6780718e434f88b63c.jpgSacrilege!

OMG, I feel ill, who would eat such rubbish?

Pie day today, 12C down here and raining, yesterday was the coldest October day in Sydney and SE Coast, I think it just got to 11C here.

Lunch awaits...

GlutenFreeBakehousePartyPack-600x905.thumb.jpg.453117f338eac415e3df014ef69ace08.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I would give it a go, or at least have some on hand for my DIL who is vegetarian.

I was on the fence with this, I think for me using the word meat is a bit of a problem. I think they should be labeled as Vegetable based savoury pies. Put the no meat part as an afterthought on the label.

Perhaps the Green banner should read plant based and the plant based above the banner could read Meat Free and the place where it says "Meat Free Pie" in the red banner could read Savoury Pie.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

OMG, I feel ill, who would eat such rubbish?

Pie day today, 12C down here and raining, yesterday was the coldest October day in Sydney and SE Coast, I think it just got to 11C here.

Lunch awaits...

GlutenFreeBakehousePartyPack-600x905.thumb.jpg.453117f338eac415e3df014ef69ace08.jpg

Who would eat such rubbish? You ask.

People like Mrs Gut who need to follow a largely meat free diet, just as some eat gluten free rubbish, because they have to but would rather the real thing.

Mrs G loves the Linda McCartney “sausage” rolls, but the Pattie’s ones are was less $$$$ though only about 7/10 compared to the McCartney version.

28 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Who would eat such rubbish? You ask.

People like Mrs Gut who need to follow a largely meat free diet, just as some eat gluten free rubbish, because they have to but would rather the real thing.

Mrs G loves the Linda McCartney “sausage” rolls, but the Pattie’s ones are was less $$$$ though only about 7/10 compared to the McCartney version.

Now you know we jest mate...don't get too cranky old son.😬

41 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I was on the fence with this, I think for me using the word meat is a bit of a problem. I think they should be labeled as Vegetable based savoury pies. Put the no meat part as an afterthought on the label.

Perhaps the Green banner should read plant based and the plant based above the banner could read Meat Free and the place where it says "Meat Free Pie" in the red banner could read Savoury Pie.

I agree the wording bothers me. If you are vegetarian fine but why do you need to pretend something is meat? There was a vegan pie stall at a market I visited and they didn't use meat substitute on their label. They labelled it chickpea pie, seitan pie etc. I found it so refreshing that they weren't trying to convince me it was just like meat. They treated it as its own unique product and that's how IMO it should be. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I agree the wording bothers me. If you are vegetarian fine but why do you need to pretend something is meat? There was a vegan pie stall at a market I visited and they didn't use meat substitute on their label. They labelled it chickpea pie, seitan pie etc. I found it so refreshing that they weren't trying to convince me it was just like meat. They treated it as its own unique product and that's how IMO it should be. 

Just call these items 'Vegetarian Pies, etc. Would not be as confusing.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say "Thank you" for the info about the Woolworths Gluten Free Pies. I love them, tonight I am going to try the bacon quiche one but the chunky beef is as good a pie as I have tasted, although not a big pie eater.

• Like 2