re meat pies

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We drove up on the Friday, had one day in Brisbane catching up with a friend, then embarked on the Sunday. It was a very solid 12 hour drive. If we ever do that again we'll fo it over two days, especially at this time of the year when the rising and setting sun affected visibility.

Yes still a long drive up north. BTW do they have meat pies on Coral Princess?  Given that most pax are Aussies. Good work on the wines issues.

hayden-s-pies.jpg.02676d3a8bb3ec18ea6920c26e7a9d4b.jpg

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes still a long drive up north. BTW do they have meat pies on Coral Princess?  Given that most pax are Aussies. Good work on the wines issues.

hayden-s-pies.jpg.02676d3a8bb3ec18ea6920c26e7a9d4b.jpg

I haven't noticed any but we've been eating in the MDR mostly. We had one lunch at the IC. 

I love mushrooms in anything:  porcini and fresh mushroom risotto is exquisite, if done well.  One of my favourite pies is a chicken and leek made locally by Pialligo Estate.  I haven't seen them for sale for a while, so maybe they've been discontinued.  The pastry is just flaky enough, and the filling (sometimes with a few peas added) is exquisite.  Tonight I'm making a sauce diane with mushrooms, to accompany steak (rare or medium rare, of course).  How does everyone like their steak?

Just a note to say that yesterday I retired from full time work, after 46 years. Original plan was to fully retire, but I’ve hedged my bets by going to a part- time consultant role with my employer. More free time & still some income maybe is a better option before relying on super.

anyway we look forward to a simpler life 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Just a note to say that yesterday I retired from full time work, after 46 years. Original plan was to fully retire, but I’ve hedged my bets by going to a part- time consultant role with my employer. More free time & still some income maybe is a better option before relying on super.

Congratulations on such a milestone achievement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

I love mushrooms in anything:  porcini and fresh mushroom risotto is exquisite, if done well.  One of my favourite pies is a chicken and leek made locally by Pialligo Estate.  I haven't seen them for sale for a while, so maybe they've been discontinued.  The pastry is just flaky enough, and the filling (sometimes with a few peas added) is exquisite.  Tonight I'm making a sauce diane with mushrooms, to accompany steak (rare or medium rare, of course).  How does everyone like their steak?

Medium rare for my steak

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Congrats, time to live a little more without work getting in the way.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Congratulations.  Sounds like the best of both worlds for you and your employer.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

How does everyone like their steak?

Rare to Medium Rare...... condiments depend 

Rump   has pepper steak

Eye Fillett   has cooked onions

Beef Wellington ( eye fillet, onion, pepper, pate. garlic wrapped in filo )   as is

All the above served with Shiraz...... Chips  and Salad

Don

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Congratulations. After a year or three you'll probably find the part-time work is getting in the way of all the things (including cruises) that you want to do. That's what happened to Rolf! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

Rare to medium-rare depending on the type of steak. Accompaniments depend on my mood on the day.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Rare to medium-rare depending on the type of steak. Accompaniments depend on my mood on the day.

Me too Julie. My favourite steak is fillet mignon with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper rubbed in before being cooked on a hot griddle. I don't usually have a sauce, but if I do it will be mushroom.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That was an impressive list of pies competing for Australia's Best Pie.  Lucky Australia is a nation of pie lovers.  Couldn't see how the mushroom pie was the best pie. 

Mushroom and meat pies are my third favourite pies.

Steak and mushy pies are my favourite, with steak and kidney second.  

But Cornish Pastries are my favourite.

We’ll be in Cornwall in October, in between cruises.  Can’t wait to try Cornish pasties “in situ”.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

Congratulations. Enjoy.

Retiring was a great decision for me. It allowed me to go on a tour of the operating theatres of Melbourne.

I thought that the ongoing relationship with the university would be a good thing, but my PhD student commitments did put a crimp on ease of getting away.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Mareblu said:

We’ll be in Cornwall in October, in between cruises.  Can’t wait to try Cornish pasties “in situ”.

Enjoy they are the best!  Also you must have scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream.  A foodies heaven.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Enjoy they are the best!  Also you must have scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream.  A foodies heaven.  

Thanks.  The scones jam and cream we’ve enjoyed before during a cruise excursion day from Falmouth.  It’s the clotted cream that makes the difference😋

11 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Thanks.  The scones jam and cream we’ve enjoyed before during a cruise excursion day from Falmouth.  It’s the clotted cream that makes the difference😋

Agree it has to be clotted cream.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I spent a week at Falmouth once.  Loved it - memorable gardens to visit and an impressive sea shanty festival.  

Sounds idyllic.  We’re staying in Padstow, and are lucky enough to have scored a parking spot;  almost impossible there.  We’ll be driving to different villages, etc. each day.  Want to visit the Lost Gardens, the Eden Project, etc. I’m descended from the Prideaux family on one side, so really want to visit Prideaux Manor just outside Padstow. I doubt I can claim the keys, though😔. More importantly, I’ve reserved a table at Rick Stein’s seafood restaurant one evening.  Any other suggestions?

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Sounds idyllic.  We’re staying in Padstow, and are lucky enough to have scored a parking spot;  almost impossible there.  We’ll be driving to different villages, etc. each day.  Want to visit the Lost Gardens, the Eden Project, etc. I’m descended from the Prideaux family on one side, so really want to visit Prideaux Manor just outside Padstow. I doubt I can claim the keys, though😔. More importantly, I’ve reserved a table at Rick Stein’s seafood restaurant one evening.  Any other suggestions?

A parking spot and Rick Steins, like winning the lottery. West Country, Devon, Cornwall, Somerset is the best part of England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 in my opinion. I have visited Eden Project, very nice.

Re Prideaux, research Roger Prideaux, Northamptonshire County Cricket Club Captain in the 1960’s, I think he also played for England.

Edited by NSWP

I assume you mean Prideaux Place at Padstow?  It is owned by Sir Peter Prideaux - Brune who shares  common paternal ancestors William Prideaux who died in 1564 and Johanna Munday with my husband. 

Prideaux Place (Padstow): All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I assume you mean Prideaux Place at Padstow?  It is owned by Sir Peter Prideaux - Brune who shares  common paternal ancestors William Prideaux who died in 1564 and Johanna Munday with my husband. 

Several Members of the Prideaux Clan travelled from England to Australia, NZ and USA from the 1840’s. I doubt they were convicts. The name hails from the Norman invasion in the 10th Century, from 🇫🇷 France.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Several Members of the Prideaux Clan travelled from England to Australia, NZ and USA from the 1840’s. I doubt they were convicts. The name hails from the Norman invasion in the 10th Century, from 🇫🇷 France.

Many members of the Prideaux clan not just several emigrated to Aus, NZ and USA. Most who went to the USA were miners. A few who emigrated to South Aus were miners too. DH's were mainly sailors who became farmers when they came to Victoria. I think they hoped to find gold but that was not to be. Although a cousin of Rob's great grandfather was one of the co-finders of the Welcome Stranger nugget.

No Les, the name is not Norman, it is west country, mainly Cornish probably originating around the Cornish/Devon border as far back as the 9th century. The spelling would be because of the Norman scribes as they were the only ones who could write in those times. Although there were many variants of the spelling. 

Edited by possum52

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Yes I do.  That’s extraordinary.  I am descended from Sir John Prideaux of Adeston Manor in Devon, and his wife Maude French, through their daughterJulianne, born at Adeston in about 1420.  The  benefit in genealogy of a titled family us that records are documented.  I have the same bonus on my mother’s Scottish side.  I need to go into my ancestry.com records on my PC tomorrow to check dates and lines, but I know it stretches back as far as least the 1300s.  Sir Peter Prideaux-Brune is descended from that original line, but of course the line eventually divided and Prideaux Place was established much later.  I’ll search for William and Johanna tomorrow.  How exciting!  There would, of course, be squillions of fellow descendants floating around the world.