re meat pies

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Coles, down here anyway, have a separate chilled cabinet for Garlos pies.

76957361_2711369332283574_1047321147995062272_n.jpg

One of our larger Woolies does have some of their refrigerated pies, but nowhere near as impressive as that. Seems just about everywhere around here has their frozen plain and cheese pies, and the snag rolls.

Thanks for the clarification Mic. Even then a frozen you cook pie is going to be $3.50 each. I think maybe the fact that meat pies are a national dish in Oz the price would be kept low lest the locals revolt. I think it is much more difficult to find a good frozen pie at a fair price because we don't eat as many here.

16 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for the clarification Mic. Even then a frozen you cook pie is going to be $3.50 each. I think maybe the fact that meat pies are a national dish in Oz the price would be kept low lest the locals revolt. I think it is much more difficult to find a good frozen pie at a fair price because we don't eat as many here.

Yes I suppose, the demand would drive prices up.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Loads of competition from the commercial pie makers here Lyle. You would be in heaven if you got a hotel with a Chef Mike or is it a Chef Mic (Microwave)😁You could dine on a different pie for BLD.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 12:02 PM, NSWP said:

Coles, down here anyway, have a separate chilled cabinet for Garlos pies.

76957361_2711369332283574_1047321147995062272_n.jpg

Wow that is really impressive.  I've never seen a pie cabinet anything like that.  Is that because you live in a holiday place with lots of  tourists?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 11:19 PM, Blackduck59 said:

It's cotton candy in this part of Canada.

@GUT2407Fries and chips can get confusing around here. Fries are those thin cut semi crisp potato things you get from the fast food places like McDonalds. Chips could be those thick cut potato treats that are cut fresh from real potatoes and blanched in hot oil before being rested and fried to a crisp outside and soft inside golden brown. These are most often found in your quality fish & chip shops; or they could be those thin sliced potato disks found in a bag and called "crisps" in the UK.

What do they call "corndogs" in OZ? Snags on a stick?

Sweet fizzy drinks are usually called "pop" around here and "soda" in the US. Like @NSWP says soda is flavourless bubbly water you may add to a cocktail.

I always called it Candy Floss

There was a bit of a mention of Mrs Macs a little ways back. Maybe it was all those burnt servo pies that put me off. Bought a box of frozen potato top beef pies on special and had a couple last night - they were rather excellent.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, arxcards said:

There was a bit of a mention of Mrs Macs a little ways back. Maybe it was all those burnt servo pies that put me off. Bought a box of frozen potato top beef pies on special and had a couple last night - they were rather excellent.

Guess wha5 I had last night, not bad value either.

• Like 1

OK you foodies, Julie, Linda and co. I went to Wine Dinner last night at Catalina Golf Club, 4 hour duration. 10 tables of 6 persons. Started with an hour wine tasting a dozen different wines from Torbreck (Barossa) and Escarpment (NZ.)

Then the 4 course dinner which were full size servings, even though it was called a degusation dinner.  Food I rated as 7/10 they did a good job. However the wine service was not great, the two white wines for first course were out on the table in glasses a good hour before we sat down, so were warm, I like cold white wine !!  The red wines were too warm as well, cold outside so the a/c in the club was going full blast at about 28C, hence the wine temps. The two wine makers there should have supervised the club staff re time of pouring and storage of the wines we had which were all in the $30 to $60 RRP range.

The cost was $160 a ticket, all inclusive wine tasting, dinner and accompanying wines. My son and daughter gave it to me for my birthday a couple of months ago. Personally, whilst I enjoyed it, it was not really good value, I reckon $100 max  would have been more appropriate.

Attached the food/wine menu if you can read it.

Have a great day foodies.

IMG_0989.JPG

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

The menu looks very nice but the service of the wines with the meal was appalling. I would have shown them exactly what I thought of their wine temperatures but requesting some ice. I've done that more than once in restaurants that served wines too warm. One cube is usually enough to bring the temperature down to a reasonable level and doesn't dilute the wine too much.

As to the price, $160 for a four course meal with wine, plus a wine tasting beforehand, is quite reasonable these days. Very few restaurants would do four courses of that level for under $100 without wine.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The menu looks very nice but the service of the wines with the meal was appalling. I would have shown them exactly what I thought of their wine temperatures but requesting some ice. I've done that more than once in restaurants that served wines too warm. One cube is usually enough to bring the temperature down to a reasonable level and doesn't dilute the wine too much.

As to the price, $160 for a four course meal with wine, plus a wine tasting beforehand, is quite reasonable these days. Very few restaurants would do four courses of that level for under $100 without wine.

Thanks Julie, I knew you would be interested. Yes I should have requested a block or two of ice. Wine service was appalling, several of the quality wines were wasted because of warm temps. As for price, I am a bit out of touch re prices these days. Fine dining is rare in BB, except for Sandbar which you went to for a proper degustation menu.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I would have asked for a fresh one that was chilled.Give them the feedback, so they know and can do it differently next time

I shall be. Will E mail the Club CEO today. He was at the dinner with the Operations Manager and a couple of the Club Directors.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

OK you foodies, Julie, Linda and co. I went to Wine Dinner last night at Catalina Golf Club, 4 hour duration. 10 tables of 6 persons. Started with an hour wine tasting a dozen different wines from Torbreck (Barossa) and Escarpment (NZ.)

Then the 4 course dinner which were full size servings, even though it was called a degusation dinner.  Food I rated as 7/10 they did a good job. However the wine service was not great, the two white wines for first course were out on the table in glasses a good hour before we sat down, so were warm, I like cold white wine !!  The red wines were too warm as well, cold outside so the a/c in the club was going full blast at about 28C, hence the wine temps. The two wine makers there should have supervised the club staff re time of pouring and storage of the wines we had which were all in the $30 to $60 RRP range.

The cost was $160 a ticket, all inclusive wine tasting, dinner and accompanying wines. My son and daughter gave it to me for my birthday a couple of months ago. Personally, whilst I enjoyed it, it was not really good value, I reckon $100 max  would have been more appropriate.

Attached the food/wine menu if you can read it.

Have a great day foodies.

IMG_0989.JPG

Thanks for the wrap, and for posting the menu, Les.  It's a shame the wines weren't treated with respect, especially since the winemakers personnel were in attendance.  Torbreck's "Woodcutters" is a very popular red at our golf club.  Haven't been to dine there for a while but meeting friends for dinner tomorrow night, so I hope it's still on the list.  I agree with you:  I cannot tolerate warmish white wine.  I like it crisp and very cool, preferably so cool the glass is frosted.  The menu looks really enticing, but if you're going to pay that amount, "Sandbar" in Quays Hotel/Motel at the Bay works out about the same, for a special occasion.  Apparently people are travelling from Sydney and spending the night at the Bay just to dine there.  It is exquisite, offering Japanese-French fusion.  The presentation is exceptional.  Disclaimer:  it's a cruise or a dining experience, at these prices😜 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Thanks for the wrap, and for posting the menu, Les.  It's a shame the wines weren't treated with respect, especially since the winemakers personnel were in attendance.  Torbreck's "Woodcutters" is a very popular red at our golf club.  Haven't been to dine there for a while but meeting friends for dinner tomorrow night, so I hope it's still on the list.  I agree with you:  I cannot tolerate warmish white wine.  I like it crisp and very cool, preferably so cool the glass is frosted.  The menu looks really enticing, but if you're going to pay that amount, "Sandbar" in Quays Hotel/Motel at the Bay works out about the same, for a special occasion.  Apparently people are travelling from Sydney and spending the night at the Bay just to dine there.  It is exquisite, offering Japanese-French fusion.  The presentation is exceptional.  Disclaimer:  it's a cruise or a dining experience, at these prices😜 

Julie and Rolf went to Sandbar and gave it top marks. The other 5 foodies on my table were all from Canberra, with holiday homes down here. Current and former Govt highflyers, lol. Nice people.

I would not go to Sandbar solo, like being in the MDR on a table for one on a cruise ship. Not for me. Being on a table of 6, made for great conversation, you know what I mean.

I have a Torbreck wine list from the sampling, although they got no orders from me. The 2021 Woodcutters Red you mentioned, well the Shiraz  $24.65 per bottle or $295.80 for 12. What is your golf club price, may I ask? 

Edited by NSWP