Memerc

Taking Alcohol on board

We have just booked a Xmas, New Year Caribbean cruise leaving Tilbury in Dec 18 and will be purchasing a drinks package, but would like to take a couple of Bottles of Champagne with us for Xmas day, New Year (in Barbados) and my birthday on the 2nd Jan! But cannot find any reference to any CMV policy regarding taking alcohol on board.

I have checked through the various threads and cannot see any reference to it, and have scoured their Website with no luck, so I was hoping others may have experience?

I will contact them direct if needed but don't want to wake them up to the possibility if there is a chance they may oppose it.

Rather know before than risk losing the bottles before we get going. Thanks:D

Having just returned from a short cruise to Amsterdam and Antwerp, I think it's probably worth taking a risk. There was no security whatsoever when we boarded - no scanning of bags or us! We spoke to other passengers who had brought on cases of wine! Nobody seems to be interested in what is brought on board in any respect, which is more than a little worrying in current times. They really do need to step up their security (and I don't mean to stop alcohol being brought on board).

I am assured that no alcohol is allowed to be taken on board. I checked this with three different people.

Luggage is scanned before it arrives in your cabin and hand baggage is scanned as you prepare to board. Even in an Agents visit, I am a GTO not an agent, we had our handbags scanned.

Drinks are cheap. However, a friend is just off Columbus and states that there were understaffed bars with long waits.

Karen.

I can categorically state that at no point was our hand luggage scanned at any of the ports we visited, including embarkation at Tilbury. I thought this was very sloppy and something which needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

We've literally just booked our 1st C&M cruise (Marco Polo - March - Northern Lights). I'd be really interested in any update on the issue of taking alcohol on board (we'll be on board for our wedding anniversary).

You are not allowed to take alcohol on board by policy.

Whether you will be detected and stopped is a different question.

The risk might be confiscation for the cruise, but it could be enforced disembarkation before the cruise. Like the muster drill, it is optional (they can't force you to attend but you may wish you had) you may find yourself offloaded before sail away.

Answers to questions like these can be found in their FAQ https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/faq

There are two on Alcohol, the first about the drinks packages, the second about bring your own. I quote

"Can I bring alcohol on board? It is not permitted to bring alcohol aboard at embarkation and any alcohol purchases made ashore during the cruise should be handed to Security on re-joining the ship. These will be returned upon disembarkation. Details of our All-Inclusive Drinks Package can be found on our website in the Onboard Experience section."

Ship board scanning is down to the cruise line, port side scanning is down to the port. We have been waived through the hand luggage scanning station at Tilbury where they often seem to work a random percentage. However you still go through a metal detector and get hand scanned if it goes off. My trundle case, full of cables and a laptop plus my camera have never set it off so it must be on a generous setting. Some airport ones go off for a single coin. Having a walking stick seems to help in being waived through.

The alcohol policy is stupid, they think it is losing a sale from the bar but corkage fees are money for nothing. If they had some decent wines on board it would be different but our recent Astoria cruise had a very mediocre wine list, no Zinfandel, no Chile.