Hurricane Irma and St. Maarten

gtaylor

Chatting with island friends and it looks bad.

Their hurricane watch has been upgraded to a Hurricane Warning, meaning hurricane force winds are expected within 36 hours.

Islands under Warning spread from Montserrat to Anguilla.

Late Tuesday night into early Wednesday look like closest approach to St. Maarten, with winds of 140 mph.

Last flights out of Juliana will be by 2:00 pm, then closing.

Unnecessary businesses must close by noon.

General island curfew goes into effect at 8:00 pm until after the hurricane passes and a safety assesment has been completed.

One of our friends used the phrase "I'm scared".

gary

I was really afraid of this when we visited last month. The water was so warm. I never felt the water that warm on any of my many summer vacations there and only remember the water warmer in 2005 when we did a southern Caribbean cruise during Hurricane Katrina.

I really hope that Irma takes a turn out to see as the path that has been predicted is bad for days on end as it looks as if it will affect many Caribbean islands and the Bahamas and US as well.

Global Warming at work and it will only get worse my dear Americans.:(

So maybe I am reading to much into this comment....but pretty sure global warming isn't just an Americans creation or issue. Pretty sure hurricanes and cyclones are not a new thing and have been a thing long before global warming....but don't let that interrupt a chance for a good rant and to take a swipe at (all) Americans.

Regardless Cat 5 with 175 mile per hour winds will inflict devastation on whoever's path Irma crosses. Hope she weakens and manages to avoid some of the bigger population

Our thoughts are with the residents of the Leeward Islands during this devastatingly strong hurricane, be safe. The northern leeward islands are especially at risk based on the huge surge and rain projections, Anguilla and particularly poor Anegada are sure to be hit hard, especially if the surge hits at high tide. We are very concerned for everyone in the path.

Gary (OP) .... If you are able to keep in contact with your friends, please pass along any info from them.

T&P for them and all others in the path of Irma.

We've just heard from some new friends that we met on this past visit. May be Gary can confirm or deny this but we were told that unlike other islands St. Maarten has shelters open only after the storm has passed? That seemed very bizarre to us.

We heard from students of the Med school that we know as well and they said that the school/residence acting as a shelter and up and running and accepting students.

I concur about Anguilla. I have a picture on the wall in my office from the hill above Anse Marcel in St. Martin with Anguilla in the background and it's just so flat that you can't help but think just how awful this hurricane could be to people there.

I read that AA has scheduled more flights out of St. Maarten today and tomorrow.

This is much worse than I ever imagined.

Hurricane Cat 5 with sustained winds of 185 mph, gusts to 200, and a direct hit on the island.

Tracks that I follow show it tracking across French side from Orient Bay to between Anse Marcel and Grand Case.

Today is the 22nd anniversary of Huricane Luis which devastated the island as a Cat 4.

I think it may take a LONG time for the island to recover, perhaps not by High Season.

I can't get in touch with my friends this afternoon (they may be busy :) ) but my understanding is that shelters are open 'as a last resort' and locals should shelter with family and friends if at all possible.

There is a standard government announcement that 'shelters will be open for 48 hours' for displaced persons after the hurricane, but I think this in addition to being open throughout the event.

My understanding is that the airport closed at 2:00 local time (same as East Coast right now).

I am so sad.

gary

I just looked at PJA site and it's got a few flights still going out but they look like small planes to Anguilla. There is nothing marked for tomorrow at all now.

The site that I saw says that it's going over Anguilla.

There is no good news from any reports right now saying that the islands will be missed and when you look at the map it just seems so cruel that there is so much blue and yet the path shows Irma hitting the islands one after another.

I'm sad to.

I believe that the airport is just posting the standard departures/arrivals, without regard to the airport being closed.

I just checked my tracking after the hourly update (11 minutes ago) and it shows a dramatic shift to south of (below) St. Maarten, though the North side of a hurricane carries the full force.

Currently a direct hit over Barbuda and St. Barths.

Perhaps it will shift further south, but there are mere hours to go. :(

gary

The airport showed cancellations for most flights but times for a couple still. Perhaps that has been changed now.

Why is the north side worse? I heard from people who experienced Luis in Antigua as children that when the eye of the hurricane hit it was very calm and they actually said that they went out and played. They said that the weather before and after were terrible but there was a period of calm in between. They called the time after the eye, the backside of the hurricane.

Irma will cause devestation on lots of Carribbean islands , the Bahamas and the South of Florida I am afraid.

Global Warming at work and it will only get worse my dear Americans.:(

Stupid post. Hurricanes have been around for a long time. Way before radar, and all weather equipment. This is a big one, one of the strongest in recorded history yes, but the key is recorded history.

Stupid post. Hurricanes have been around for a long time. Way before radar, and all weather equipment. This is a big one, one of the strongest in recorded history yes, but the key is recorded history.

Just so I have a better idea of what you are saying, do you believe that extreme climates / climate change is not occurring?

gary

Despegue's comment is just nonsense, that's all - not appropriate at this time.

Out thoughts are with everyone in the path, especially those in these northern islands. Losing power is probably inevitable, but please post your conditions if you are able. Most of all be as safe as you possibly can over the next couple days, it sounds like this morning will be very bad...