Hurricane Irma and St. Maarten

gtaylor

Looks horrible, my wife and I are on a 14 day cruise on the BA in February to St Maarten, St Thomas etc..... Might have to look into another cruise

Ā 

If the devastation is as widespread as it appears, there is a good chance the cruise line will be reconfiguring your itinerary and you will not be going there. If they somehow can cleanup and rebuild to a state that they can take cruise ships by Feb, your tourist dollars will be greatly needed there by the locals as they try to recover financially.

If the devastation is as widespread as it appears, there is a good chance the cruise line will be reconfiguring your itinerary and you will not be going there. If they somehow can cleanup and rebuild to a state that they can take cruise ships by Feb, your tourist dollars will be greatly needed there by the locals as they try to recover financially.

Ā 

I'm all in if they can make it work, St Maarten is one so far. We are also suppose to go to St Thomas, Tortola, San Juan, Barbados, Dominica, St Kitts and St Lucia It could be a real disaster for the entire Eastern Caribbean

I was really afraid of this when we visited last month. The water was so warm. I never felt the water that warm on any of my many summer vacations there and only remember the water warmer in 2005 when we did a southern Caribbean cruise during Hurricane Katrina.

Ā 

I really hope that Irma takes a turn out to see as the path that has been predicted is bad for days on end as it looks as if it will affect many Caribbean islands and the Bahamas and US as well.

Ibwas there too and noticed no difference.If your body feels the difference of .3 degrees in ocean temp you are not human

I am so sad. It's been a long time since I've posted to the boards, but as soon as I started seeing pictures of the devastation, I knew I had to come. My husband and I stay at Sea Palace in Philipsburg yearly, and I'm so worried about the friends we've made on this beautiful island. (Sea Palace just finished its several year renovation project earlier this year :loudcry:). It's such a helpless feeling. I also have friends on St. Thomas, and I've been able to reach them today. Winds are high, but they aren't receiving the same direct hit St. Maarten did. Thanks to Gary and Karysa for the updates. I'll be watching the board for more as this progresses. We were planning on going back in Feb., but we'll obviously have to see what the situation is before we make any plans. I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks for the links and suggestions (I think).

Ā 

You can also go to You Tube - people are posting videos there. I love the island of St. Martin and it so sad to see the devastation. They will need the cruise dollars even more -

You can also go to You Tube - people are posting videos there. I love the island of St. Martin and it so sad to see the devastation. They will need the cruise dollars even more -

Ā 

I agree. I won't cancel my cruise because of this, I will want to go and support them and help out.

Early images are not encouraging. Hopefully by some miracle there is no loss of life. Such a beautiful place and beautiful people. Really hope Capt Bob and Joyce Prince and their families are safe.

Ā 

I emailed Joyce yesterday morning telling her we were praying for her and she replied that they were very scared! I have been thinking of her and that beautiful island non stop since yesterday. Praying that they are ok.

Ā 

I live in Houston so we just went through Hurricane Harvey, but I don't think it was anything compared to what they are going through right now.

ALL THIS IS AWFUL

San Juan and st martin are both so beautiful. What other islands are hit really bad?

Barbuda took the first direct hit. This island is just north of Antigua so they may have very bad damage as well. Next direct hit was St. Maarten and Anguilla which we've been to as we took the ferry over from St. Maarten. Next direct hit was the British Virgins including Tortola. St. Thomas and St. John were very close to the eye wall as well so they probably have serious damage as well. Puerto Rico looks like they missed the worst of it. Meteorologist on weather channel said Turks & Caicos may take a direct hit tomorrow.

Stupid post. Hurricanes have been around for a long time. Way before radar, and all weather equipment. This is a big one, one of the strongest in recorded history yes, but the key is recorded history.

Ā 

Typical in times of great loss of property across these beautiful islands and the many citizens who ask only for survival you say someone is stupid for raising the issue of global warming?

Best you can do is be current with science and not rely on historical events that bear no impact on what is happening across the globe.

Our thoughts and hopes should be (IMHO) focused on support for the victims of Harvey, Irma and those to come.

The key is not recorded history; that is only one factor as what is measured today did not exist prior to radar etc. We only had the written accounts of those witnessing such storms.

No need to label a cc poster as stupid. As someone once said :Stupid is as Stupid does.

Barbuda took the first direct hit. This island is just north of Antigua so they may have very bad damage as well. Next direct hit was St. Maarten and Anguilla which we've been to as we took the ferry over from St. Maarten. Next direct hit was the British Virgins including Tortola. St. Thomas and St. John were very close to the eye wall as well so they probably have serious damage as well. Puerto Rico looks like they missed the worst of it. Meteorologist on weather channel said Turks & Caicos may take a direct hit tomorrow.

HOLY MOLY

I hope your right and puerto rico didn't get as bad as st. Martin it looks terrible. All those beautiful islands and all those poor people. I just keep praying for them.

Ā 

I also looked at U Tube and St. Martin. I hope the cruise ship piers held up though the storm. So much money has been invested in expanding the port. I hope for their sake they can accept ships when ready.

The airport showed cancellations for most flights but times for a couple still. Perhaps that has been changed now.

Ā 

Why is the north side worse? I heard from people who experienced Luis in Antigua as children that when the eye of the hurricane hit it was very calm and they actually said that they went out and played. They said that the weather before and after were terrible but there was a period of calm in between. They called the time after the eye, the backside of the hurricane.

Ā 

If by "north side" you mean the right hand side of a west bound hurricane, that north side will have the most devastating winds - which spiral counter-clockwise around the eye, so if the storm winds are 150 mph and the storm is moving at 15 mph, the winds on that side will be 165 - while on the left side the effective wind would be 135 mph.

Ā 

Of course, anything over 75 is bad - but every additional bit hurts more.

If by "north side" you mean the right hand side of a west bound hurricane, that north side will have the most devastating winds - which spiral counter-clockwise around the eye, so if the storm winds are 150 mph and the storm is moving at 15 mph, the winds on that side will be 165 - while on the left side the effective wind would be 135 mph.

Ā 

Of course, anything over 75 is bad - but every additional bit hurts more.

Ā 

Thanks for the explanation.šŸ˜Š

Ā 

I just learned something else about wind speed that is also something to consider. The wind increases the higher the building. This was mentioned when they were telling folks in Miami about the possibility of getting a direct hit in the high rises in Miami.

I know absolutely no one who doesn't believe climate change is real. The issue is what causes it. Some choose to lay 99% at the feet of modern society while more rational folks tend to believe it's a cyclical event that may be exacerbated to some degree by that same society. It's a fruitless argument.