Do I have time for sail, Marigot & Short Orient Beach Stop?

cruisefanatic2b

Hello there - I am scheduled to be on RC's Mariner of the Seas on Sunday, December 11. On Thursday, we are scheduled to be in St. Maarten. I am interested in the Golden Eagle sailing trip, which begins at 8:30 and lasts about 4 hours. However, we both want very much to see Marigot - go through some shops, have a bite in a little street-side cafe, see the Fort. If at all possible, I'd also like to make a one-hour stop at Orient Beach since I've heard and read so much about it. Do we have time to do all this? If I took a cab or rented a car to go to Marigot and/or Orient Beach following our Golden Eagle sail, what time would you recommend I leave to return to the cruise pier? All must be aboard by 5:30 and the ship sails at 6 p.m. I suspect I'll have to forgo Orient Beach, but would like some feedback.

Also, if you had to make a choice between the Golden Eagle sail and seeing Orient Beach - any suggestions? Thanks!

Gina

Mariner of the Seas 12/11/05

Caribbean Princess '04

I wouldnt recommend you do all 3 things, as your day would be extrmely hectic and you would only partially enjoy everything, rather than completely enjoy. Your tour has good timings, morning 8:30 - 12:30. However you are arriving on a sunday, and Marigot will be extremely quiet, and most stores will probably be closed as it is a Sunday. There might be a few stores and restaurants open, no guarantee, but majority of the town will be closed and I would not recommend it.

Orient Beach on sunday might not be a bad idea, as it wont be as crowded as it usually is when there are several ships in port. Traffic would not be much of a problem either, so you will not waste too much time getting around.

Personally I would suggest, do the tour, go to Orient Beach for a quick swim and lunch, and if your up for it, go into Philipsburg for shopping. Most stores will close by 4:30. It will not be very crowded, so actually even a good day to go shopping, you might score some deals.

Where does Golden Eagle leave from? Marigot is on West Coast, Orient on East Coast. The Mariner pulls in the gangway at 5:30 PM, you would be cutting it close. It is not a short walk from the cab stand at the pier, at least 5-10 minutes. Run, cruiser, run:eek:

St Marteen is in Atlantic Time Zone at Western edge, so it would be getting dark at 5:30 or so. If Golden Eagle leaves near pier it is doable to take it, get off and hop a cab to Orient for an hour or two (20-25 minutes) and then double back to P-Burg. Marigot is across the Island and no road runs across the Island at that point. You would have to go to the Northern tip and swing past Grand Case, 20-minute trip, leaving you 25-30 minutes from the pier after you finish Marigot. Way too tight a time-frame. We have stayed on the Island twice for a week at a time, in addition to 8 stops off ships.

Archived