Irma Hurricane

dandee2

Got an email too. Phoned to get more information on options. Front office took a long time finding out as information had only just been provided to them despite the fact that the emails had been sent out several hours earlier. Disappointed that WS will charge a change fee if you decide to move your booking to a different sailing as impacted cruises are now in the "cancellation window". No word either on providing refunds for excursions booked for ports no longer on itinerary.

When I talked to them they were just figuring things out. The itinerary change was released today but I think that all the other little nuances will be dealt with appropriately in the next week or so. Right now they're just trying to figure out what to do with the passengers. I would have your travel agent call them about changes that they're insisting on charging for. And remember travel insurance will cover these things as well!

And remember travel insurance will cover these things as well!

True! If we do stay on this sailing it looks as if WS will be picking up an air change fee as Air Canada is insisting that flights will probably be going to SXM in December. This is despite the fact they had a hard job finding our booking in their system as it's been configured to prevent further bookings for this destination. Westjet on the other hand immediately offered a full refund, which we totally didn't expect; so kudos to them.

My TA got similar info from WS this morning that revised itineraries for WindSurf will be announced in about a week. Good Luck to all.

Nov-18 Windsurf moved to Barbados.

The Windstar family is deeply saddened by the widespread devastation of Hurricane Irma that impacted the Caribbean, and whose beautiful islands and wonderful people are close to our hearts. As a result of damage to critical port infrastructure, we are required to make adjustments to the itinerary for your voyage on Wind Surf’s Yachtsman’s Caribbean departing on November 18, 2017.

Specifically, we will embark and disembark in Bridgetown, Barbados and now visit Martinique, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines and Grenada. These vibrant ports were not affected by Irma and continue to be popular destinations for our guests.

Changing to Jewels of the Windward Islands

PORT

COUNTRY

ARRIVAL

DEPARTURE

Bridgetown

Barbados

5:00 AM

6:00 PM

Grande Anse

Martinique

9:00 AM

11:00 PM

Pigeon Island

St. Lucia

8:00 AM

Pigeon Island

St. Lucia

St. George's

Grenada

10:00 PM

Mayreau

St. Vincent & the Grenadines

Bequia

St. Vincent & the Grenadines

4:00 PM

Bridgetown

Barbados

5:00 AM

As you may have already secured airfare for Phillipsburg, St. Maarten, you will need to make new arrangements for arrival and departure in Bridgetown, Barbados. Due to the unprecedented impact of the storm, most major airlines are allowing booked guests to change their flights from Phillipsburg to a different island without change fees. If is this not the case, Windstar will reimburse any flight change fees for up to $250 per person. We recommend that you book your air to Bridgetown as soon as possible to secure best flight and seat selection.

In the next few days, new confirmation forms with the revised itinerary will be sent to you via email. We apologize for any inconvenience these changes will cause and we hope that you are excited to travel the beautiful islands of the Caribbean. As always, our primary goal is to provide the best voyage possible for you.

While we are all saddened by the impacts of Hurricane Irma on certain parts of the Caribbean, much of this beautiful region of the world was not impacted by this storm. In what will certainly be a difficult year for Caribbean tourism, Windstar looks forward to supporting the broader Caribbean region through the many guests we will bring to these vibrant islands this season.

If you have any questions or need further information, please contact Windstar’s Vacation Planning Department at 800-258-7245 or your travel professional.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Thank you,

Windstar Cruises

While they say they'll reimburse the change fee, that doesn't cover the difference in airfare. And American, at least, is charging a LOT for flights into Bridgetown. It would've cost us more than we'd already paid for airfare to switch. Additionally, we had already done the Windstar sailing out of Barbados less than 2 years ago (it was slightly different).

We just cancelled, as this vacation was causing me more stress than I needed. Of course, that's nothing compared to what the islanders are facing. :(

We'll figure out something to use the airfare on before the window closes. I told the StM private excursion operator to keep my deposit. His boats are all upside down or under water.

I'm not happy about Windstar not refunding the cruise deposit, but it can be applied to a different itinerary. Maybe the original one in the future!

Good luck to all. Good luck to the people on the islands.

Maybe because I didn't push it up to the right person. Maybe because we were going on the Dec 30 departure. Maybe because we were traveling from the northeast US. In any event, we weren't happy about duplicating all the same islands we had just been to.

I'm glad yours worked out better!

so I've been busy changing flights for everyone in my group, from all over the US to Barbados.

American has been all over the map on change fees but bottom line is they WILL waive them, just gotta get to the right person.

Flights were not too bad or about the same as what we paid to SXM so now my group is set!

However, the itinerary they changed us to still goes to Dominica and Guadaloupe and I think Maria just hit both of those...at least WS has options in the area of Barbados if they need to switch us again.

A little disappointed that we're going back to Montserrat, did that last year on Star Legend and once is really enough, plus the new itinerary has a day at sea which is a surprise!

LVWindstar007, we might be sailing with you on Jan 20th???

American did my reschedule from SXM to BGI without a change fee and the additional fare was not very much more. We are going on the 13 Jan 2018 departure for two weeks. Hotels.com is working on my "nonrefundable" hotel res.

We are on the Dec. 9th Sailing (14 days)previously out of SXM. Problem is, I booked air from PHX-SJU on American, a night in SJU and then a Seaborne Airline flight to SXM and return. Since we are flying into San Juan, American said no, we must pay a $300 pp fare to rebook, plus, of course, the additional fare. Seaborne said they will allow us a credit on another flight in the future. Altogether, about $3000 more! Any hints on softening up AMR?

Another option, would be to switch to the Pride out of SJU for a back to back, scrap the Seaborne fare if they wont budge. If WS will switch us, and, if SJU is still there and functioning, this might be the best option. WS said they are not considering refunds! A change of cruises without fee would work OK. Again, it's not us in the path of Irma, Jose, Maria etc., things could be worse.

WS is offering up to $250 pp for a change fee. We were on BOS to SXM and had to change to Barbados and we were not charged a change fee. It was considerablly more money ($1000 for two people ) but that is the airlines for you! I do not know why AA is charging you a fee, they are advertising no change fee up to 12/31 for hurricane problems. Good Luck

We were booked on the Wind Surf November 25 sailing out of St Maarten. The entire itinerary has shifted to the Jewels of the Caribbean itinerary. First they had it going out of Barbados but going to Dominica, Guadeloupe, St Kitts and Montserrat. Hurricane Marie has wrecked those islands. So now it appears that the only island that will still be on the itinerary is St Lucia. Windstar has been real STINKERS about all of this, implying to us that ANY Caribbean itinerary should satisfy, and refusing to do a full refund, even though they can no longer offer anything even CLOSE to the trip we booked. Been an exclusive customer of theirs since 1993. Won't sail with them again. American Airlines gave us a FULL refund, even of the port fees, and replaced all of the miles we were flying on, back into our account.

We were booked on the Wind Surf November 25 sailing out of St Maarten. The entire itinerary has shifted to the Jewels of the Caribbean itinerary. First they had it going out of Barbados but going to Dominica, Guadeloupe, St Kitts and Montserrat. Hurricane Marie has wrecked those islands. So now it appears that the only island that will still be on the itinerary is St Lucia. Windstar has been real STINKERS about all of this, implying to us that ANY Caribbean itinerary should satisfy, and refusing to do a full refund, even though they can no longer offer anything even CLOSE to the trip we booked. Been an exclusive customer of theirs since 1993. Won't sail with them again. American Airlines gave us a FULL refund, even of the port fees, and replaced all of the miles we were flying on, back into our account.

We had to cancel the b2b for 11/18 and the 11/25. AA also returned fare and miles. We tried very hard to make the itinerary change work but flight prices doubled and we were unable to find a decent hotel for 11/17. We thought we had one through Trip Advisor and wound up getting scammed. Dealing with Chase on a refund for that. Can't say enough good things about dealing with Chase Sapphire people. Now, for WS, I think they are beyond swamped. What we were told about credits is different than what we received yesterday and today. Next week I will contact them to at least try to get what I was told I would get on the phone. Our trip insurance does not respond unless cruise is cancelled by common carrier and only if weather related. But they don't consider change of port weather related. Gotcha! We will use our credits next year either on Alaska or Iceland but unable to purchase trip insurance for those since payment will be with credits so if something prevents us from going we are out $5,000. Lesson learned for us is that we will start booking only last minute sales instead of paying a year in advance and then not be able to get our cash back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We had to cancel the b2b for 11/18 and the 11/25. AA also returned fare and miles. We tried very hard to make the itinerary change work but flight prices doubled and we were unable to find a decent hotel for 11/17. We thought we had one through Trip Advisor and wound up getting scammed. Dealing with Chase on a refund for that. Can't say enough good things about dealing with Chase Sapphire people. Now, for WS, I think they are beyond swamped. What we were told about credits is different than what we received yesterday and today. Next week I will contact them to at least try to get what I was told I would get on the phone. Our trip insurance does not respond unless cruise is cancelled by common carrier and only if weather related. But they don't consider change of port weather related. Gotcha! We will use our credits next year either on Alaska or Iceland but unable to purchase trip insurance for those since payment will be with credits so if something prevents us from going we are out $5,000. Lesson learned for us is that we will start booking only last minute sales instead of paying a year in advance and then not be able to get our cash back.

It seems absolutely mind boggling that WS can change everything about a cruise including all the ports and the country of departure and not offer refunds. Yes, I realize natural disasters are not their fault but at the same time they sold a product with a certain description that they won't be able to deliver on.

We are 3 couples on the 1/6 one couple gets off another boards on 1/13. Very special birthday for 3 people that gather together on their zero birthday year. The couple from Seattle can simply not get there with AA and due to physical,limitations has to go business. The other three lucked out with flight changes. Time consumimg yes, no fee change and for me much more expensive: From Boston $ 1000 more, economy, from Denver $ 241 more, economy and the other has the highest status possible with AA. There is a Hilton in Barbados 2 couples using points the other only staying one night on the front end $295. Total credit received from hotels on St. Martin. We all agree we think WS did a yeoman's job with the itinerary, we like both much better: better culturally, still with great beaches. I have been to most of these islands with WS. WS is swamped but have maintained good cheer and with us has been accurate. Gratefully we are not having the issues of others. From what I have read Les Saints and Montserrat should be ok, I hope for St Kitts and it is a human tragedy for Dominica because it is such a poor country. I feel in our circumstances WS has made lemonade from thosr horrible lemons, 2 hurricanes. I hope good things happen with WS with one and all. Happy Sailing

We will use our credits next year either on Alaska or Iceland but unable to purchase trip insurance for those since payment will be with credits so if something prevents us from going we are out $5,000.00

You don't have to buy insurance through the cruise line. At insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com, you can compare quotes from many insurance companies. Most offer medical evacuation coverage far in excess of the cruise lines' coverage. Maybe you can afford to lose $5,000, but what would you do if someone in your group had to be airlifted off the ship ($10,000 - $25,000), receive treatment at a foreign hospital ($ unlimited), and be medevac'ed home ($15,000 - $40,000)?

You don't have to buy insurance through the cruise line. At insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com, you can compare quotes from many insurance companies. Most offer medical evacuation coverage far in excess of the cruise lines' coverage. Maybe you can afford to lose $5,000, but what would you do if someone in your group had to be airlifted off the ship ($10,000 - $25,000), receive treatment at a foreign hospital ($ unlimited), and be medevac'ed home ($15,000 - $40,000)?

I don't buy through the cruise line. As a matter of fact I'm in the insurance business and do compare. Medical evacuation is a must along with lots of other musts. This is one of the gotchas when its a decision of a common carrier with these odd circumstances. We had to cancel a sailing becaue of illness once, no problem. Friends had a medical evacuation that was a nightmare. It's all in the fine print. Windstar is doing a good job under difficult circumstances. Those that have later sailing dates have more wiggle room and have not made final payments in most cases. We are within 60 days of sailing so have far fewer options.

We cancelled our Dec 9 sailing yesterday. I was told that as I was transferring the money to another existing booking that there was no fee. Today I get an email saying they've successfully transferred the amount, but it's over a $1000 less than I paid. Now waiting to hear back from them to resolve it. Fingers crossed it was just a typo. I love the WS ships and crew, but find their front office to be sorely lacking.

American has been all over the map on change fees but bottom line is they WILL waive them, just gotta get to the right person.

It wasn't the change fees. It was the fare difference.

American waived change fees. Fare difference would cost us another $1800 for the two of us.

Hello all. My deepest sympathies to everyone that has suffered loss during these natural disasters. First of all, we're all appalled by the catastrophic property losses, economic devastation, injuries, and deaths that happened on these Caribbean islands. My heart aches for those people. The native citizens that live there year-around have pain and suffering we can't even imagine.

I'm also mindful that may of you fellow Windstar travelers have incurred lots of headaches and financial losses of your own. Some of us can take hits like this better than others. (We aren't so well-heeled, and save up for a cruise over the course of several seasons. Anything not covered by trip insurance would be a real blow.)

SB44 said something that I found useful: "Lesson learned for us is that we will start booking only last minute sales instead of paying a year in advance and then not be able to get our cash back". I've always been leery of sailing in the Caribbean in November and December, and for me I always had nagging concerns about how fragile these islands are, and what could happen to a large swath of the region if a monster hurricane swept through. And now my worst nightmare came to pass, twice. For me, it underscored the wisdom of looking for late-booking bargains. Previously, we have always waited until the end of any storm season before booking a cruise (even if that limits the selection). Now, we will surely avoid the temptation of an early booking. Last minute works for us.

So, now we've seen two Cat 5 hurricanes in one season. Who could have imagined that? Windstar is having to re-group after seeing several of their itineraries completely ruined. As Strenz put it, "....WS has made lemonade from those horrible lemons, 2 hurricanes". So as annoyed as we might be with their customer service at times, I can't imagine the stress for all concerned at Windstar headquarters. We want our beloved favorite cruise line to survive, so I hope they recover their own financial losses soon enough. Rest assured, they are reeling from all this, having to make customers "whole again", reassuring those that have already booked and are on the verge of bailing out, and trying to fill up empty cabins for the long recovery months ahead.

For those of you that are disappointed with the re-vamped itineraries, especially when they are so different from what you imagined, hopefully you'll get enough offsetting credits or perks to make up for it -- or the chance to re-book later when the itineraries are completely restored. Complete money-back refunds? I think you're expecting too much from the cruise line for things that are beyond their control.