Help for Ponta Delgada --The Azores

Giantfan13

Ginny, we have been to Ponta Delgada 5 times and the best tour operator is Gary Travassos of Azorean Tours. Give him my name and he will treat you well. We have enjoyed a local lunch in Furnas with him several times that is very reasonable with good food. Email me at ortenw at gmail dot com and I can answer your questions and give you other details. IMO the areas of Sao Miguel (the "Green Island") outside the city are more interesting and a full day tour would be a better experience.

Bill

Thank you, Bill. But we just booked a small tour (8 people total) with another couple from the ship. I know any tour operator you recommend would be fantastic, but I don't want to change tours again. It will just be a half day tour, so we are hoping to find a local lunch spot in Ponta Delgada that would be good for our last day in Europe.

• 1 month later...

I have been to the Azores twice, but stayed on the island of Terceirca for 11 days and then 7 days. The food is definitely worth doing! Amazing seafood as well as local specialties, and the bread abd pastries are to die for. San Miguel is not known for whale watching, the other islands have better whale watching. Get out of town as the island is beautiful with lakes, and thermal activity. Its a great place to go hiking. Also, it is known for its spas and beach resorts.