Excursion off the Pearl

chk-gnt

Just home from a wonderful trip to Alaska on the Pearl. Did 4 excursions that were booked through Norwegian, the first 3 were very good. The 4th one to the Butchart Gardens was a disappointment. I knew that it was an evening tour, but thought the gardens would be very well lighted. Several of us found it very hard to see the gardens and also hard to walk around them. I'd like to hear what other people thought about seeing the gardens in the evening.

Just home from a wonderful trip to Alaska on the Pearl. Did 4 excursions that were booked through Norwegian, the first 3 were very good. The 4th one to the Butchart Gardens was a disappointment. I knew that it was an evening tour, but thought the gardens would be very well lighted. Several of us found it very hard to see the gardens and also hard to walk around them. I'd like to hear what other people thought about seeing the gardens in the evening.

What were the other three tours that you booked thru NCL. We are going on the NCL Pearl this weekend and still trying to figure out some good tours thru the ship. Thanks for the input about the gardens, a friend told me that they are good. May give them a miss if they are not well lit.

I would have to agree with you. We sailed on the Pearl on August 20 and scheduled an excursion through NCL for Victoria(it was our only excursion that we booked through the cruise line). It included a tour of Victoria and a visit to Buchart Gardens. By the time we got to the gardens, the sun was setting and it got dark pretty fast. We were able to enjoy the gardens but it definitely would have been more enjoyable if the sun had still been up. I would guess that the one thing I took away from this was, either make a day trip to Victoria pre-cruise from Seattle(if you have the time) or sail earlier in the summer when the days are longer.

The Gardens in Victoria close at 5pm after Sept. 16, 2017

They do not have much additional light , that is why they close early in the fall.

The Pearl has always had a late arrival at Victoria, 6pm. Sometimes, with bad weather, it can be delayed further. The Jewel has an earlier arrival in Victoria. Not sure what the Bliss will do next year.

Alaska is always an adventure!!

Skagway Mt. Railroad is a good excursion.

What were the other three tours that you booked thru NCL. We are going on the NCL Pearl this weekend and still trying to figure out some good tours thru the ship. Thanks for the input about the gardens, a friend told me that they are good. May give them a miss if they are not well lit.

We did the Train in Skagway, the Duck Boat in Ketchikan and in Juneau the Mendenhall Glacier River Float.

• 2 months later...

The fireworks show at the Gardens during the summer months is the best you'll ever see, I think! If you were there on a Saturday night from Mid June through August and didn't stay for the fireworks you missed out.