Silver Spirits Beverage Package Option

sabrefan

One day one, I asked the bartender if I could taste the provided and premium wines. He gladly let me try them and we upgraded.

We asked to do that and were told that the provided wines were only available in the dining room. We did purchase the Beverage package, but we were impressed by the reasonable pricing of the a la carte drinks, $6 to $9 for wine or mixed drinks.

It would be really helpful if someone could send out the names of a couple of the current included wines as well as the names of a couple on the Silver Spirits....I realize that they change regularly but it would allow us to do a little research on what the difference is between them.

I don’t often drink mixed drinks but I do enjoy wine. ;) That said my guess is that I as well would be trying various offerings if I had the package!

It would be really helpful if someone could send out the names of a couple of the current included wines as well as the names of a couple on the Silver Spirits....I realize that they change regularly but it would allow us to do a little research on what the difference is between them.

I don’t often drink mixed drinks but I do enjoy wine. ;) That said my guess is that I as well would be trying various offerings if I had the package!

We found that two of the better, or at least drinkable, wines were the 770 Miles Chardonnay, which my wife drank, and the 770 Miles Cab, which I preferred. They seemed to be better than the other beverage package wines we tried. I found both on line for about six dollars a bottle. We tried a couple of the included wines, and could not tolerate them. A single white and a single red are offered gratis with each meal.

We found that two of the better, or at least drinkable, wines were the 770 Miles Chardonnay, which my wife drank, and the 770 Miles Cab, which I preferred. They seemed to be better than the other beverage package wines we tried. I found both on line for about six dollars a bottle. We tried a couple of the included wines, and could not tolerate them. A single white and a single red are offered gratis with each meal.[/quote

We have cruised with Viking Rivers and Oceans. In the past we did a mixture - we brought wine on board, had the included wines, as well as purchased occasional bottles from their wine list. When we did not care for the offered included wines, we asked for another option and we were never refused that request - so it worked pretty well.

We have never done the Silver Spirits package. On Rivers that package included pretty good wines (we were able to try some). On our next trip, due to where we are traveling (Amazon & Caribbean), the idea of bringing wine on board will likely not be much of an option. I was hopeful that the current Silver Spirits wine offering would be attractive.....I wonder if the wines may vary in offering depending on where they are sailing.....thank you for your response

Edited by Vineyard View

Somewhat tangential to the topic, I found that on the Homelands cruise on the Sea Viking offered a different dark beer on tap each day. I'm not much of a beer drinker but I violated my no drinks at lunch policy and loved their dark beer selections on occasion. Enjoy.

Vineyard View - have you done the Homelands Cruise and if so can you comment on the wine selection both bottled and not in that area. Also did you purchase wine on shore there. Just curious about that selection and pricing. Thanks so much.

We have done the Homelands Cruise. It was wonderful. We really love the itinerary.

We were on this trip after having started in Barcelona, where we spent several days prior to boarding. We purchased quite a bit of wine there to bring on board. We added to that with some port in Lisbon....

I will tell you that food and drinks are rather expensive while in port in the part of the world on the Homelands portion. We enjoyed lunch in a couple places, but sticker shock you should be prepared for! Because of that, we didn’t explore wine options in those ports (plus, they aren’t really known for their wine.....beer & vodka, yes!)

We did find some good bottles available for purchase when dining in Manifredis.....at fair prices....and we enjoyed those options while traveling in the Northern parts, plus you can order off their wine list in other dining venues. Don’t know how helpful this is, but you will love your cruise!

We' re on the Amazon cruise now and I promised I would give you my take on Silver Package. There are some problems with using it.

1. Viking doesn't list the premium wines on the bar menu. You must ask for the wine list to order a different wine.

2. In the main restaurant the glasses are the same and a server topped off our glasses with the included wine. Also you must ask the wait staff to refill your wine glass, it isn't automatic like with the included wines.

3. Two days ago the ship ran out of the prosecco that we enjoyed after dinner.

I have tried some of the included wine because it was just easier in the World Cafe. I found them drinkable and not much different from some of the premium wines

The main reason we decided to go with it was dining at the Chef's table and getting the premium wines at no additional cost. We booked all 7 menus and have enjoyed the experience.

Hope this helps.

Cynthia

We' re on the Amazon cruise now and I promised I would give you my take on Silver Package. There are some problems with using it.

1. Viking doesn't list the premium wines on the bar menu. You must ask for the wine list to order a different wine.

2. In the main restaurant the glasses are the same and a server topped off our glasses with the included wine. Also you must ask the wait staff to refill your wine glass, it isn't automatic like with the included wines.

3. Two days ago the ship ran out of the prosecco that we enjoyed after dinner.

I have tried some of the included wine because it was just easier in the World Cafe. I found them drinkable and not much different from some of the premium wines

The main reason we decided to go with it was dining at the Chef's table and getting the premium wines at no additional cost. We booked all 7 menus and have enjoyed the experience.

Hope this helps.

Cynthia

Thank you Cynthia for your feedback. It doesn’t sound like a very smooth process. It makes me wonder why It is set up this way. I am glad to hear it works well at the Chefs Table, but remaining venues should be much easier.....maybe they should just leave the open bottle on your table! Without a doubt it should be easier.

We will wait until we are on board to sample the wines before we buy.

• 5 weeks later...
If you are on the Silver Sea's package how does the automatic 15% bar gratuity work?

The gratuity is included in the price of the Sliver beverage package.

We plan on purchasing it. Love having a martini or cocktail when I want and love dry white wine .

Our room (Penthouse Veranda) includes alcohol and soft drinks replenished daily in our mini-fridge. I assume we can take that alcohol anywhere on the ship?

Yes

Took mine up to the Explorer Lounge. Asked for a glass with ice from the bar. No problem.

• 1 month later...
If you have the package and select a beverage over the $15 limit, say the $16 sparkling wine, are you charged the difference ($1) or all $16?

You will be charged $16. The Package is only for up to $15 drinks. Any that cost more you will be charged that full drink price according to what I have read.

I see in the write up that they change wine selections once per cruise which I guess it at the halfway point. Would there be any difference in this policy on a long cruise like the 22 day Amazon trip compared to the 8 or 15 day cruises? It certainly seems like a good package to get no matter how often they change them out.

We did the West Indies Explorer and we loaded provisions - including wine and beer in Barbados - our halfway point.

This was the wine list from the second half ...

29573331_10211941517393320_1381036888161367576_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeH_7uRpzSB5El8l7ug6rRHMYWfRPmV0ZE8IF0vbcgboDTJbEpcP3Aitit1bKsROwBecUXsl5-u0CjEWSQasAGA5t2wI0dQEZLl5IYw30k_V3w&oh=f9b2101b15ee87f3d14605317f90646b&oe=5B71B23C

29792739_10211941522153439_9061376832447143092_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeEmfqz5XWcJPMjAMDye8BmBuo1mGAIHWVxyNK533PDDDFqE3C-IZP37cImmDF0IyZLkEiKLDshqKaXkVldJsnkMVjWkPIsbpEVe9X3hVQbqeA&oh=9fb0b211818cae518e08f1e055237d26&oe=5B2E07EE

11222310_10211941525193515_2538363862678350864_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeGmUnfrFKVw8iALdFihkshuYDmjQK_0EHqenWa0SPVq08PE6AtEhcg94CNGrtXnvAvBFzMzHdOEBshhgvSdf8hnayf5uQex1Vm47ZyWrURWGg&oh=1aa1ad55606cf47e50a9a043472d88cb&oe=5B29F2A2

On cruises I usually enjoy trying out the 'cocktail of the day'. We will have the silver spirits package. Does Viking have a daily cocktail special or will I just have to choose from the list. Such hardship!!

According to the Viking Daily, they did, but I never thought to ask and it's no listed in the Daily :)

I posted the wine list for the Silver Spirits wines for the second half of our West Indies cruise. I didn't think to note the included wines.

We we're generally happy with the package except at dinner. Waiters would have plenty of the "free" wine but if you wanted something from the package, there was often a substantial wait. You could usually forget about having a second glass during dinner. Anywhere else on the ship (pools, bars, theater or even "sitting areas") drinks and would arrive quickly as would refills. Servers were so good that when they saw you arriving, you would be addressed by name and asked if you wanted what you last ordered.

We we're generally happy with the package except at dinner. Waiters would have plenty of the "free" wine but if you wanted something from the package, there was often a substantial wait. You could usually forget about having a second glass during dinner. Anywhere else on the ship (pools, bars, theater or even "sitting areas") drinks and would arrive quickly as would refills. Servers were so good that when they saw you arriving, you would be addressed by name and asked if you wanted what you last ordered.

We are on the Star right now we have the package and we are enjoying all the wines. As soon as we sit at dinner we advise our waiter that we have the package and we get the wine list or a sommelier helps us with our choices. We get prompt service. At chefs table, the wines have been wonderful. When I didn't want the Port, it was replaced with my selection of choice. We have eaten 2 times in Chef table. Great food. The staff is wonderful they even were able to get us a table tonight even tho they were totally booked. If we didn't have the package it would have cost us 75.00 ea for the premium wines but it was free for us.