Cameos, Pearls, and Travel Advice in Naples

Summerprincess

We are stopping for a day in Naples on a cruise in October. We have previously visited Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri so this time we are going to see the National Archaeological Museum, the Capodimonte Museum, and then walk back to the port following the Rick Steves walking tour to see churches and shop and get gelato and pizza. We are taking a taxi from the port to the Capodimonte Museum since it opens first. I do know to watch for pickpockets, etc. My daughter and I are both using small cross body bags and putting our shirt or coat over them and holding on to keep them safe. I am not bringing my nice camera with me that day.

Does anyone know of a reputable cameo shop or have any input? I have also seen beautiful pearl necklaces that women wear there with the pearls shaped a little differently than the regular round pearls we usually see.

If anyone has any guidance or input with any of our plans I would deeply appreicate help.

Thank you in advance.

I've walked past this place at least a dozen times but I've never gone in: http://www.cameofactorydepaola.it/eng/contacts-cameo-factory-depaola.html

It's up on the hill that overlooks the cruise port, near the Certosa di San Martino (which is well worth a visit if you have time). From the cruise port you'd take the Central Funicolare up to the top, then walk/take the escalators up a little further to get to the location.

There's also this place that bills itself as a small museum of cameo art, it's in the historic center of Naples: https://www.facebook.com/ilpiccolomuseodelcammeo/

Cameos strike me as one of those purchases (like rugs) where some knowledge is necessary in order to know what one is truly buying. The "real McCoy" is very expensive, from what I've seen, and I've also read it is quite common to pass off machine carving as hand carving and inferior base shell as more expensive types.

One other piece of advice is to avoid the very overpriced "cameo factory" stops often visited by tour buses. The prices are really over the top...