Puerto Rico will be out of power for 4-6 MONTHS

gardn198

Just read on CNN. That is INSANE! We were originally scheduled on the Fascination out of San Juan in February 2018 but switched to Sunshine out of Orlando because flights were super pricey to PR. Glad we made the switch... wow... I feel awful for the people of the island! Half a year without power?!

"We're looking at four to six months without electricity" in Puerto Rico, home to nearly 3.5 million people, she added. Luis Rivera Marin, the territory's secretary of state, confirmed to MSNBC that the entire island was without power.

...and the moon is made of green cheese.

Parts of PR may be without power for extended periods of time, but the populated areas, those with dense population and factories, businesses, shops, etc will have power available within a reasonable period.

It is true the entire island is without power, no running water or sewage. Just heard the devastation is overwhelming. So very sad. :'( We can always change our plans but these people on the islands have to live it. My heart goes out to all of them.

We are suppose to sail on the Fascination December 3, 2017 it really looks like that may not happen. I'm glad we have trip insurance for the cruise and airfare. Maybe Carnival will let us switch to another cruise in the same time frame.

There are only 15 power plants in all of Puerto Rico. The widespread downed power lines will have tripped the plants offline, and the power company will start from the plants and disconnect all lines until they can determine where the first breaks are, and then start powering up section by section. Yes, rural Puerto Rico may be without power for 4-6 months, but I would doubt that San Juan will be out of service that long, since two large plants are right around the city, and the vast majority of the power plants (all the big ones) are clustered in the eastern part of the island. Now, having said that, the Puerto Rico power company is basically bankrupt, but I believe they can benefit from some massive Federal relief money to greatly improve their power infrastructure.

Just saw a live report from the Weather Channel from one of their storm chasers in San Juan. I did not catch the name of the hotel was reporting from. He says in his hotel they have electricity, they have water and obviously they have internet as I could see him on his computer. Maria is leaving San Juan right now and the Mayor says the citizens are anxious to get outside and survey the damage and for recovery efforts to begin.

Just saw a live report from the Weather Channel from one of their storm chasers in San Juan. I did not catch the name of the hotel was reporting from. He says in his hotel they have electricity, they have water and obviously they have internet as I could see him on his computer. Maria is leaving San Juan right now and the Mayor says the citizens are anxious to get outside and survey the damage and for recovery efforts to begin.

They have generators and cisterns. Many locals, that can afford it, go to the hotels to hunker down.

But if that hotels does that's very good news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The truth is most of us don't know the widespread damage caused by Maria.

I really hope everything returns to normal quickly. My aunt spent three months without power after Andrew.

So a 4-6 month window is not out of the question for full restoration. There were still many without power from IRMA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are only 15 power plants in all of Puerto Rico. The widespread downed power lines will have tripped the plants offline, and the power company will start from the plants and disconnect all lines until they can determine where the first breaks are, and then start powering up section by section. Yes, rural Puerto Rico may be without power for 4-6 months, but I would doubt that San Juan will be out of service that long, since two large plants are right around the city, and the vast majority of the power plants (all the big ones) are clustered in the eastern part of the island. Now, having said that, the Puerto Rico power company is basically bankrupt, but I believe they can benefit from some massive Federal relief money to greatly improve their power infrastructure.

They had a crumbling, failing system to begin with, and regularly experienced outages, with massive billion dollar debt. I hate to say it but this storm is the answer to their prayers. Washington will be sending much money to get everything in order...

And people are correct. San Juan will get power relatively quickly.

As one who has family in PR, CNN was the only network to give me any information. I tried all the others and all there was...politics. Heck, ESPN reported more.

That is just sad. I hope your family is ok. My co-worker has family in Mexico City, this has not been a good week.

Unfortunately twitter and FB is the best source of news.

I have family there too and I’m still waiting to hear if everyone is okay. It’s painful to see a place I once called home in such a devastated state. Praying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is true the entire island is without power, no running water or sewage. Just heard the devastation is overwhelming. So very sad. :'( We can always change our plans but these people on the islands have to live it. My heart goes out to all of them.

We are suppose to sail on the Fascination December 3, 2017 it really looks like that may not happen. I'm glad we have trip insurance for the cruise and airfare. Maybe Carnival will let us switch to another cruise in the same time frame.

We also was on the Dec. 3 cruise but with Maria and all the devastation at some of the islands we decided to change our cruise to May of next year my PVP took care of it yesterday, also the hurricane season is not over yet more could on the horizon.

He also said it was because the hotel has a generator.

Sent from my iPad using Forums