Converting $$ to Euros

jonsmom

I am in the early stages of my planning my Italy vacation.

Most places that I am looking at accept credit cards but many excursions require Euros at the end of the day.

Do you exchange your dollars to Euros before you go?

I have a Travelex Currency Office not far from me. Anyone have any experience? I have also read that converting $dollars when in Italy is less expensive at the post office.

Any advice would be welcomed.

TIA

I almost exclusively use ATMs.

Travelex rates (in the US at least) are abysmal. If you must get some euros before your trip, look into getting them through a bank such as Wells Fargo. Many have posted here in the past that they will let you order currency and will ship it (I think for a small fee unless you buy enough....)

ATMs are located just about everywhere. I recommend that you use one associated with a bank -- it should have a specific bank name on it. Otherwise it may be one of those annoying free-standing machines that also do not give good rates. I ran into a lot of those just a couple of weeks ago in Portugal and Spain.

Merchants in Italy will look at you as though you have three heads if you try to pay with a travelers check.

The best rates are at the ATM on the spot but if you don't think you can get enough cash that way, going to the bank you already do business with and buying Euros from them is the next best thing.

Thanks. I would not have thought of that. Travelers checks are also accepted but I don't even know if they sell those anymore. lol

Really, accepted by whom?

No idea who would accept travelers checks any more. If you were to find someone, they might charge you extra for the annoyance.

Credit cards are not accepted everywhere. You will need some cash. Agree ATMs, depending on the fees. We always take cash with us but it is easy to change here in Sydney. Post offices tend to be very slow places to do anything. You need at least a couple of cards for ATMs. Our friends managed to lose one and have one swallowed within two days when we were travelling with them.

If I need some cash right away I will get it at home. I get it through my bank. I might pay 5% more so if we are talking about a $1,000.00 I would be overpaying by $50.00.

As others have said lowest fees would be an in-house ATM. Just be sure if you go that route to know what your ATM cash withdrawal limit is per da to be sure you will have enough money.

This is why I bring some money from home and get the rest in country.

Also might want to have a couple of ATM accounts just in case something goes wrong with one of your cards if you go this route.

Keith

As others have stated bring some cash obtained from the bank and use ATM's. Check with your bank about withdrawal fees and if there are specific banks you can use to avoid the fees. My bank (Scotiabank in Canada) is part of the GLOBAL ATM alliance so this can save me $3.00 in the US OR $5.00 in Europe. These amounts could be out of date as I have not paid them in sometime. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most places that I am looking at accept credit cards but many excursions require Euros at the end of the day.

I have a Travelex Currency Office not far from me. Anyone have any experience? I have also read that converting $dollars when in Italy is less expensive at the post office.

TIA

I am always but money before I go. don't count too much on CC in Europe.

We always try and bring some local cash, but we try and charge as much as possible, even the smallish amounts. You get the best rate, plus you have a recourse if you buy something and it is damaged, lost etc. It goes without saying that you need a card with no foreign transaction fees though.

cheers

Len

I am always but money before I go. don't count too much on CC in Europe.

The irony of your comment is that parts of Europe are leading the world in attempts to go cash-free. This is especially true in some of the Scandinavian countries (especially Sweden). Go to a Starbucks in Stockholm....and you might be the only person using cash :). Just about everyone else will be "tapping" their credit card. We are also starting to see Smartphone payment methods (similar to Apple Pay) moving into Europe. The Swedish government has realized that cash is expensive (you have to print it, handle it, process it, etc) and they are encouraging a cash-free society. I suspect that within the next decade, cash will become nearly obsolete in parts of Europe.

Hank

The irony of your comment is that parts of Europe are leading the world in attempts to go cash-free. This is especially true in some of the Scandinavian countries (especially Sweden). Go to a Starbucks in Stockholm....and you might be the only person using cash :). Just about everyone else will be "tapping" their credit card. We are also starting to see Smartphone payment methods (similar to Apple Pay) moving into Europe. The Swedish government has realized that cash is expensive (you have to print it, handle it, process it, etc) and they are encouraging a cash-free society. I suspect that within the next decade, cash will become nearly obsolete in parts of Europe.

Hank

We are talking about Italy . I know in Scandinavian countries its different but even there I would not go without cash just in case something happens with my CC. Even to US from Canada I am not going without US cash.

TIA

When we were in Europe (and not all countries use Euros) we could have gotten by with a credit card. Carrying cash was cumbersome since we had two different currencies. With coins it gets confusing. Use a cc that has no foreign transaction fee and you will be better off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As stated earlier, in Northern Europe cash is almost unnecessary. However, I wouldn't say cash is dead (yet) in Italy. Some restaurants -- smaller ones -- may still not accept a credit card, and some stores don't like to process cc purchases for small items (e.g., a soda, a coffee, a metro ticket).

In the past I was often offered a discount at hotels in Italy for paying cash as well. I haven't noticed that lately; I wonder if that practice has been subject to tighter controls now?

In Italy there are some smaller or out of the way establishments that don't accept CC, but most places accept CC. In many places in Northern Europe places prefer you to pay by swiping card over the reader (contactless).

We go to Europe very often and normally have a couple of hundred Euros. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but that is on a land holiday. We have three different CCs that make no foreign transaction fees.

There are ATMs everywhere, so no need to walk around with loads of cash.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are talking about Italy . I know in Scandinavian countries its different but even there I would not go without cash just in case something happens with my CC. Even to US from Canada I am not going without US cash.

I would be concerned if I brought only one credit card. Bring at least two credit cards and two ATM cards from different accounts.

As stated earlier, in Northern Europe cash is almost unnecessary. However, I wouldn't say cash is dead (yet) in Italy. Some restaurants -- smaller ones -- may still not accept a credit card, and some stores don't like to process cc purchases for small items (e.g., a soda, a coffee, a metro ticket).

In the past I was often offered a discount at hotels in Italy for paying cash as well. I haven't noticed that lately; I wonder if that practice has been subject to tighter controls now?

How about Taxi's, buses, subway etc.?

I would assume most touristy spots take CC. but what about small establishments and souvenir type places?

Cheers

Len

Souvenir stores want tourist money, so they will take CCs. Small businesses probably do. Many taxis take CCs too, but don't count on it. (Ask before you get on the taxi.) For buses, subways, flea markets etc., it is best to have cash.

Use your ATM card at the airport to get some cash when you arrive.

And save any leftover euros for your next trip.

In southern Italy many places do not take credit cards. People are always asking where they can go where locals eat, shop etc. It is precisely those non-touristy places that may not take cards,

But we changed some money in Norway just so that we could tip our tour guide. Do other people tip a guide with a credit card?

• 3 weeks later...