Just cancel the San Juan based sailings already!

saltydoge

Do you think the sailings out of San Juan should be canceled?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the sailings out of San Juan should be canceled?

• Yes, they should cancel all sailings until after Thanksgiving.
    • No, we should be more optimistic about the recovery.

My BF family also has family there, in San Juan, and guess what, still no power. They themselves are very concerned on the mosquito issue. They have to buy their food day to day. Calls are dropped every time we can get through. Just because a few are doing ok, doesn't negate the others that are not. Only 10% of the island has power, albeit the area that has more wealth and businesses, but what about the other 90%....

http://status.pr/

To quote someone from another thread:

Im sure that the island needs the tourists, but the tourists, especially older cruisers, also need some security. They need to know they can be quickly treated in a clean hospital if an emergency occurs. They need to know they wont be sitting in hot airports for many hours because of cancelled flights.

People have different levels of risk tolerence, until the San Juan area is truly functioning normally, it isnt fair to ask vacationers to incur hazards, big delays or sub par levels of service. These arent volunteers or aid workers, so please lets be responsible.

So my friends that live there and people I know who are on the armed forces tell me a a different story.

As a Floridian who has been through many hurricanes living in Naples and Miami, tourists are always wants back quickly and you always want life to go back to normal.

But Puerto Rico is not normal right now.

I'm really torn on this issue. I'm supposed to sail out of SJ 12/2, but not sure it's a good idea. Will things be open? Will people still be homeless and suffering without water or electricity? I don't think I could relax and enjoy myself knowing people were there with that happening. Normally I would arrive a few days early and or stay a few days after but that doesn't seem possible this time. On the other hand, should I bring my tourist dollars to help the economy? Will there be any relief efforts still going on I could help with? So far I can't decide what to do.

Listen people - this is not a habitat for humanity sailing that I am on. I give time and money to charities and my husband has given much time to building houses for those less fortunate. I have great empathy for all of those affected by the hurricanes this year. However, I am on vacation. I do not want to be dumped off on an island that was hit by a cat 5 hurricane. I will not be made to feel guilty about it. I do without alot of things in order to go on vacation. Only 10% of the island has power at this time. My original hotel stay was cancelled.I am travelling with folks in their late 70's. It just does not feel safe to be there! For those who see it as an adventure - more power to you,

I'm really torn on this issue. I'm supposed to sail out of SJ 12/2, but not sure it's a good idea. Will things be open? Will people still be homeless and suffering without water or electricity? I don't think I could relax and enjoy myself knowing people were there with that happening. Normally I would arrive a few days early and or stay a few days after but that doesn't seem possible this time. On the other hand, should I bring my tourist dollars to help the economy? Will there be any relief efforts still going on I could help with? So far I can't decide what to do.

Here's the thing- the assumption that things are going to stay the same is incorrect. Things are changing every single day. And getting a lot better. Heck, the company that my friend works for is opening back up next week- so that they can supply the US with medical stuff.

Most of the people without homes are not in the Metro San Juan area, too. They are in the mountains. It sucks, without a doubt what so ever. And they are in a HUGE battle to live decently.

But San Juan and other larger cities are improving quickly.

66 hospitals are up and running. And by the time you get down, the injuries that would be taking up the hospital resources will be long gone, since the hurricane was in Sept.

What you really need to do if find the "drop dead" dates that you need to decide by. And see how things progress at that point. If you don't agree that it's progressing fast enough, cancel. If it's better, go.

We will get some other eyes there in a few weeks. What they tell us will be interesting.

The OP's premise for this thread is that San Juan will not be able to homeport ships for the foreseeable future and that cruise lines should preemptively cancel future sailings so that the OP and others can cancel a cruise they no longer want without penalty. The folks at Royal Caribbean are working very had to prove the OP wrong. Preliminary reports suggest that they are succeeding. Here is one firsthand report:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54243971&postcount=268

It sounds like this thread has attracted several folks who no longer want to go on their San Juan homeported cruise in the next couple of months. I have bad news for you. Barring another hurricane, the ships are going to sail, with or without you. No amount of whingeing is going to change that.

Go on the cruise, or don't go. If you don't go, you are going to have to take your lumps financially, depending on what kind of insurance you did or did not buy (cancel for any reason). But expecting the cruise lines to cancel the cruises and/or waive cancellation fees is just not realistic.

We will be going on the Celebrity Summit Nov 11 and Nov 18 sailings. I am looking forward to it.

Sent from my P027 using Forums mobile app

The OP's premise for this thread is that San Juan will not be able to homeport ships for the foreseeable future and that cruise lines should preemptively cancel future sailings so that the OP and others can cancel a cruise they no longer want without penalty. The folks at Royal Caribbean are working very had to prove the OP wrong. Preliminary reports suggest that they are succeeding. Here is one firsthand report:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54243971&postcount=268

It sounds like this thread has attracted several folks who no longer want to go on their San Juan homeported cruise in the next couple of months. I have bad news for you. Barring another hurricane, the ships are going to sail, with or without you. No amount of whingeing is going to change that.

Go on the cruise, or don't go. If you don't go, you are going to have to take your lumps financially, depending on what kind of insurance you did or did not buy (cancel for any reason). But expecting the cruise lines to cancel the cruises and/or waive cancellation fees is just not realistic.

We will be going on the Celebrity Summit Nov 11 and Nov 18 sailings. I am looking forward to it.

Good to know the Celebrity Summit will be doing their winter season out of San Juan as usual.

I have only sailed Celebrity, but have left to sail on the Viking Ocean.

The Viking Sea will be in San Juan on Oct 27 and do Carribbean sailings from there until the end of March.

We have gotten updates from Viking Ocean and been kept informed.

Those who are anxious about their bookings need to cancel and find another cruise. Life is too short for whining.

Both cruise lines and airlines are waiving their cancellation fees for now.

The airport and harbor are operating as others have noted, and ready for cruisers going forward.

I am on the TA from San Juan to Barcelona, which could be the new captial of Catalonia by the time I get there. ;)

Enjoy your Cruise on the Summit. I do love the Constellation and the M class ships.

I love Puerto Rico and we've cruised out of there several times. I'm donating money and supplies to Puerto Rico relief efforts. They need all of the help they can get right now. All of us that have enjoyed the hospitality of Puerto Rico need to donate to our fellow Americans in this time of need.

I do not want to be dumped off on an island that was hit by a cat 5 hurricane. I will not be made to feel guilty about it. I do without alot of things in order to go on vacation. Only 10% of the island has power at this time. My original hotel stay was cancelled.I am travelling with folks in their late 70's. It just does not feel safe to be there!

That kinda sounds like whining to me. If you don't want to go, don't go.

We were very afraid to land in PR as we did not feel we were getting enough info to be there safely. Flew in to SJU on 10/7. Airport had power, fresh water, venues open to eat. There were a few people waiting around (25-50) but not the desperate thousands we had been expecting. Many military types landing for relief efforts. Arrivals board showed 18 incoming flights...all on time. No cancellations on the board at all. Passed by a couple areas where the roof was leaking/water puddling up but iti is not like the roof was missing or you could see right up to the sky. City streets to the pier were clear. No piles of debris were evident. Damaged vegetation is visible as are some damaged buildings but the pictures of mud and debris and homes looking like piles of matchsticks simply were not obvious. SW airlines into A gates was smooth sailing. Baggage claim functioned as expected. Still did not see many taxis but individual drivers and city traffic were moving well. You can get safely and easily from SJU to Pan Am port via cruise transfers. Port building was also intact (once on the ship could see some roof damage) but again, not the wasteland I was fearing. Go to San Juan get directly on your ship and enjoy your cruise!

Virva cat - I am on a repositioning cruise so it is the backside that has me concerned. And yes, we could just fly straight home but one of the couples is from germany. They are not going to fly in for just 9 days. My husband and I have two weeks off so were supposed to stay for an additional 3 days in San Juan.

Griffy - already donated $$ to the hurricane relief fund

RMH - now you sound whiney ;p

We were very afraid to land in PR as we did not feel we were getting enough info to be there safely. Flew in to SJU on 10/7. Airport had power, fresh water, venues open to eat. There were a few people waiting around (25-50) but not the desperate thousands we had been expecting. Many military types landing for relief efforts. Arrivals board showed 18 incoming flights...all on time. No cancellations on the board at all. Passed by a couple areas where the roof was leaking/water puddling up but iti is not like the roof was missing or you could see right up to the sky. City streets to the pier were clear. No piles of debris were evident. Damaged vegetation is visible as are some damaged buildings but the pictures of mud and debris and homes looking like piles of matchsticks simply were not obvious. SW airlines into A gates was smooth sailing. Baggage claim functioned as expected. Still did not see many taxis but individual drivers and city traffic were moving well. You can get safely and easily from SJU to Pan Am port via cruise transfers. Port building was also intact (once on the ship could see some roof damage) but again, not the wasteland I was fearing. Go to San Juan get directly on your ship and enjoy your cruise!
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. First hand reports are so valuable.

Virva cat - I am on a repositioning cruise so it is the backside that has me concerned. And yes, we could just fly straight home but one of the couples is from germany. They are not going to fly in for just 9 days. My husband and I have two weeks off so were supposed to stay for an additional 3 days in San Juan.

Griffy - already donated $$ to the hurricane relief fund

RMH - now you sound whiney ;p

So you would rather cancel vs go?

There are a lot of other places you can fly to from San Juan. WIth the airport running 100%, that's pretty easy.

Other than having input here, what are you trying to decide, do, whatever? If you are on the ship sailing to San Juan to end the cruise, it's going to San Juan to end the cruise. There's no reason at all for that not to happen now.

Have your German friends fly to Dominican Republic to a resort there.... Done.

From the Canadian Government website:

Risk level(s)

Puerto Rico - AVOID ALL TRAVEL

Global Affairs Canada advises against all travel to Puerto Rico due to damage caused by Hurricanes Irma and Maria. See Natural disasters and climate and Hurricanes Irma and Maria for more information.

Travel Health Notice - Zika virus

The Public Health Agency of Canada has issued advice for travellers on the Zika virus, recommending that Canadians practice special health precautions while travelling in affected countries. Pregnant women and those considering becoming pregnant should avoid travel to Puerto Rico. See Health for more information.

LOL real helpful

I'm just asking what YOU want to be done. All you've done is posted suggestions that you don't want to go to a hurricane effected area- other than that, nothing.

What is it that YOU want to be done? The sailings are not going to be canceled whether you want them to be or not. That's not going to change.

So now what?

John heald made a post on face book at 8am this morning detailing where their at so far with carnival sailings.

Looks like a pretty good chance Carnival will resume sailing from San Juan on 10/15, next Sunday.

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-hoping-to-begin-cruises-from-puerto-rico-this-month/20541

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

John heald made a post on face book at 8am this morning detailing where their at so far with carnival sailings.

To clarify, they have made their official announcement, and they will be resuming their sailings out of San Juan starting on October 15. You can read the full announcement here: https://www.carnival.com/travel-alerts.aspx .

How about the cruise ship companies offering ‘Full Future Credit’ on another cruise for those who don’t feel it is wise to travel to PR at this time?

Honestly, that would be tough to justify, given how much has been opening up in the last week.

Especially if you didn't have insurance.

But I see no reason to at least try and ask.