Current Open Hotels in San Juan

SeaTrailer

Rondo and javalina,

Thank you for posting your experiences. They were enlightening! Maybe we should have a hotel-shaming thread.

I hope that anyone who is being cancelled at the last minute, or without notice, or for spurious reasons, is posting a review on TripAdvisor. I depend on those reviews to weed out hotels who don’t take care of their obligations.

Arrived in San Juan this morning. Staying at Hotel Casablanca in Old San Juan until we sail on the Jewel on Sunday.

No issues at the airport. Shops and restaurants open. 2 minute wait at the taxi stand and we were on our way. Our taxi driver Carmen still has no water or electricity after 80 days but she was still in good spirits.

We got to Hotel Casablanca at noon and it was too early to check in but they held our bags so we could walk around and get some lunch. They have power, AC and running water. Most restaurants and shops were open this afternoon. Some places still running on generators. Looking forward to our time here!

-KRISTI

Sent from my VS988 using Forums mobile app

All this is leaving me with the decision to not stay in San Juan next year before and after our cruise. Yes, hotels are housing FEMA and contractors, yes some have actual electric damage and hurricane damage.....but local feet on the ground management at many Hotels are not responding ethically. Hotel Milano is an example. Multiple hotels claim hurricane damage when in fact they are filled with FEMA, last minute cancellations, complete lack of concern for those who booked months ago. While there may be corporate decisions on the contracts - how they are communicating - These are not corporate responses, these are coming from local hotel management. Many of the Hotels who are accepting reservations have increased their rates to beyond reasonable rates...Olive is an example of that, as are many others. This whole experience we went through with Sheraton Old San Juan for our original trip this year.......I just am so unimpressed with how many in the the hotel industry in San Juan is handling their booked guests.

Maybe we need to start a thread tracking the Hotels and Airbnb who are treating tourists with fairness and without price gouging - maybe a list of those who deserve future business needs to be highlighted so that people can know this, and make an informed choice on who they want to spend their money with.....because at this point the list of who I would not spend my money is way too long.

What happened with the Sheraton in OSJ? We're booked there in March. :o

What happened with the Sheraton in OSJ? We're booked there in March. :o

In early Spring, We booked pre cruise 3 nights for Mid December and 2 nights early January. They continued to promise us that they would not cancel our reservation in spite of housing FEMA etc. these were calls directly to OSJ Sheraton. Then they decided to cancel both reservations and stated it was due to hurricane damage to their property - which was a completely false statement. When I reached back out to them with this feedback they didn’t care, didn’t offer up anything. Done with Sheraton - and all the others pulling the same untruthful stories.

I have heard that many contracts are being extended into the spring so I might suggest that you get a back up plan in place.

I got an email for our reservations for 3/30/17 to 4/1/17 were cancelled as well. I use my Hilton Honor's points and so far the reservation is still showing on their site and I've not got my points back. I'm going to wait the weekend to see if this is updated and then make new reservations after Thanksgiving. :mad:

Did both of you have your reservations cancelled at the Sheraton Old San Juan? For March/April of 2018?

For those of you looking for hotels in San Juan, a friend of mine posted today in Facebook that Decanter Hotel in Old San Juan is open and accepting reservations. I tried to do a mock booking and looks like is true. This is a new small hotel, with really good reviews. http://www.decanterhotel.com

They have recent reviews on TripAdvisor! This is good news.

Edited by CoralReef
correction

Just cruised on the Summit Thanksgiving Week, was stressed on our reservations, we stayed at La Concha Renaissance, a beautiful experience. My point, I just did a expexxa search for Jan 5 and 6th as an example.

Available hotels were, Condado Vanderbilt, Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde, Hotel El Convento, Atlantic Beach Hotel, Casa Condado, San Juan Marriott Stellaris, San Juan Airport Hotel, San Juan Water and Beach Club, many other smaill hotels, B & B's and Villas.

Not perfect but getting better.