Hand washing on cruise ships

froggy9143

I rarely use their sanitizer because it cracks my skin. I wash in my room before going to the buffet.

One was to avoid many of the slobs who like to lick is to be first in the line. Cuts down on many of the problems.

how do you get first in line in a buffet? dont they open at 6 and close at midnight? continual line of people

And even more gross....the mints on the counters in diners and restaurants....full of urine!! :eek:

I call them peepeemints instead of peppermints! LOL!

dont you use the little spoon ;)

ive seen kids in supermarkets play with the individual rolls out of the display and ive witnessed a woman taking the cap off a large bottle of salad dressing at the salad bar and putting her finger in the bottle to taste it to see if she liked it.

thus i never buy rolls like that and i never buy candy in those places where its in bulk and i never do salad bars in supermarkets

how do you get first in line in a buffet? dont they open at 6 and close at midnight? continual line of people

That's correct. We eat early & avoid the problems & lines.

Same on embarkation day at the buffet. We're always seated waiting for the gate to open.

thus i never buy rolls like that and i never buy candy in those places where its in bulk and i never do salad bars in supermarkets

Here in Florida the bulk candy & self serve salad bars have disappeared in all the supermarkets we go to. (Although Winn Dixie still has a few items still available.)

I always wonder what the aversion is to washing your hands after using the restroom. I just got off of the Coral Princess and evey time I was in a public restroom the others just walked out after flushing and never washed? I do not want to get sick while on a ship I said something to each person as they were leaving the restroom about washing, All I get back was a snide look or in one case and older person then me 50+ said FU? really I just want to stay healthy, I also notice that on the Coral they was no staff person standing at the entrance of the buffet or dining room making sure people use the Purell. On the other ships there is alway someone there, on the Star you can't get past them in the buffet they will not hand you a plate till you wash/rinse with the purell.

Is it just me thats weird about people washing thier hands? Just touching the door handles in the restrooms and the flusher is enough to make anyone want to wash up.

Reminds me of an old joke I heard in the Navy: A sailor and a marine were standing at adjacent urinals. When they finished, the sailor headed out the door. The Marine says to him, “They taught us in the Corps to wash our hands after we pee.” The sailor responded, “They taught us in the Navy NOT to pee on our hands!”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think if the rule police here were running a cruise line, they would have no passengers.

Do you think that would really stop them from cruising? They have to put in passport information and a whole bunch of other stuff when they sign up for a cruise. Not to mention the useless form we have to fill out stating our health is just fine right before we board. Yeah, right. ;p

The cruise lines already have a lot of "rules" in place for its passengers and what's wrong with a little education on washing your hands on a ship that has anywhere from 2500 - 5500 people?:eek:

whacky idea: i believe all ships leave out of some kind of cruise terminal and that everyone has to wait to board a ship. if that is true then:

put video screens all over with handwashing tips, ads, offers, etc etc. heck they do it at gas pumps, why not with a captive audience at a terminal. will still be possible to ignore them but at lease their presence will be there. heck could do it in back of the checkin counters. even the super elite etc have to check in 'somewhere' at a counter. :)

and before you say this wont work. advertising must work or there would be no shows on tv. i personally wonder how paying for ads or gum or toilet paper work but it must get people to buy it or they companies would never do it

advertising works.

or you could install tv screens on the back of every door and not let people out of their cabins until they hear the ad ;)

My dh, while sitting at a shared table in the Horizon Court, saw a man take the pepper shaker, unscrew the top and instead of pouring the pepper into his hand he stuck his finger inside the shaker. He took what he wanted and then screwed the top back on. My dh asked why and he said because nothing was coming out. My dh told him it was unsanitary. After the man left my dh told a white shirted manager walking around what happened and that this shaker needed to be changed. He seemed unconcerned at first. He had to explain what happened several times.

Another time a man and woman were in front of him in the buffet line. The woman was putting food on the man's plate. He apparently didn't want the potatoes so he took them off his plate with his hands and threw them back into the mostly full tray. My dh flagged someone down who was working behind and told them that the whole tray was now contaminated. He too seemed to not be concerned (or maybe a language barrier) and went and got a supervisor for my dh to explain what happened.

Thorough washing can't fix stupid.

We are. My belief is that the more kids on a ship means more germs being spread around- at the buffet, handrails, elevator buttons and DR.

And lets not forget the amount of pee in the pool.;)

Judging by some of the comments, it’s the adults who should know better rather than kids who are the problem. Most of our cruises are longer ones with very few kids. Its the so called adults you have to watch out for.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And that is how outbreaks of Noro Virus happen!! Since you are experiencing people not washing, it would behoove one to be extra carefull with handwashing AND using a paper towel to turn off the faucets and another to open the door as you leave the restroom! I carry hand sanitizer everywhere on the ship and wipe off armrests and tables in the lounges!

That is just nasty and gross that people don't wash their hands!!! :eek:

I get strange looks on the airplane because I bring wipes to clean the tray table, the light and air knobs, the armrests and the seatbelts! Every since I heard that they don't ever clean the light switchs/knobs FOR THE LIFE OF THE PLANE, I have done my little housekeeping as soon as I take my seat! Also, I have seen people change their babies diaper on the tray table!!! EWWWW!

I'll go you one better ( OR worse..:eek:) For my 1st ten years of a twenty-nine year career w/a major airline,one in the top five, ( I won't mention it) I was part of a cleaning crew, to come onboard between filights (we usually had 40-45 minutes tops) clean,as best we could, get the trash and depart as boarding started. The flight attendants were standing about mid way in the middle of the plane and as I walked towards them and started to smile and say hello, an AWFULL smell stopped me and I ask her, 'What in the world is that SMELL!!" She frowned, and pointed to the overhead bin and said, 'It's UP there..' She said a woman had a infant with her and had taken a blanket down from the overhead, spread it out on the tray table, changed the baby THEN (AND YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS) CLEANED the baby with said blanket then threw it BACK up in the bin and closed the bin! We immediately got the gate agent to delay boarding as long as he could, got rubber gloves, and got that blanket off the plane then got some disinfectant spray and cleaned the entire bin. The poor flight attendant was almost in tears and said,' ALL I could think about was some poor person using the SAME blanket before we could get if off our plane'. I always tell my wife, it takes ALL kinds in this world, but THIS type of idiot tops the traveling list.:eek:

Mac

I always wonder what the aversion is to washing your hands after using the restroom. I just got off of the Coral Princess and evey time I was in a public restroom the others just walked out after flushing and never washed? I do not want to get sick while on a ship I said something to each person as they were leaving the restroom about washing, All I get back was a snide look or in one case and older person then me 50+ said FU? really I just want to stay healthy, I also notice that on the Coral they was no staff person standing at the entrance of the buffet or dining room making sure people use the Purell. On the other ships there is alway someone there, on the Star you can't get past them in the buffet they will not hand you a plate till you wash/rinse with the purell.

Is it just me thats weird about people washing thier hands? Just touching the door handles in the restrooms and the flusher is enough to make anyone want to wash up.

Just chiming in after reading your post while looking for another one. Yes, most people are pigs and do not wash. NCL has people saying washy washy in the entrance to their dining venues. Also RCL has people at their dining places.

Ridiculous. We wipe down everything when we get in a ship cabin. Good luck on your cruise.

I do not use the public restrooms.. I got back to my cabin, wash my hands all the time. I refuse to use chemicals because I wash my hands.

Your refusal puts the rest of us at risk. You'll have touched lift buttons, handrails, your face maybe, bag etc since you left your cabin.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

Your refusal puts the rest of us at risk. You'll have touched lift buttons, handrails, your face maybe, bag etc since you left your cabin.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

I don't like the stuff either. I wash up before eating & that's it, so it seems to be working.

I haven't gotten sick yet.

As I was reading all the replies, a thought came to mind.

Why doesn't Princess create a 30 second video on hand washing and why it is important to do it on a cruise ship?

Make it a requirement to have the passenger sign off after viewing it. They can put it in with all the other forms we have to fill out when we purchase a cruise. Something simple and to the point online.

I also had a thought that perhaps I should wear white gloves around the ship :rolleyes: but then not needed as we take a lot of precautions and wash our hands a lot, take the stairs (try not to use handrails) and just pay attention to the coughers and sneezers.

I too (as a woman) have seen women walk out and not wash their hands on cruise ships and other public places. <sigh> As long as I take steps to protect myself and others that's all that really matters. Can't control those who do not think it is such an important action.

Celebrity shows a video at Muster concerning hand washing.

The comments about children and Noro have it wrong. Over 50% of all Noro outbreaks in the USA are in Long Term Care facilities. And the time of year with the most Noro outbreaks (on cruise ships and elsewhere) is in the winter....when kids are in school and generally not on ships. So based on this statistic you are probably better off cruising with a lot of kids....rather then a lot of old folks.

Hank

I watched a buffet dining area worker on the MSC Divina working as best as he could with some horrible illness going on. He was obviously feverish and his nose was running and he was coughing. I remembered this after I developed the same illness the day after I returned home after the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

dont you use the little spoon ;)

ive seen kids in supermarkets play with the individual rolls out of the display and ive witnessed a woman taking the cap off a large bottle of salad dressing at the salad bar and putting her finger in the bottle to taste it to see if she liked it.

LOL! IF I was going to have a mint, I would use the little spoon but apprently no one else does!!! Hence all the urine...ewwww!

My sister and I witnessed a guy in Trader Joe's, opening jars of peanut butter, dips, jelly, etc and sticking his finger in each one, tasting, then screwing the top back on and putting it back on the shelf!!!!! :eek:

Here in Florida the bulk candy & self serve salad bars have disappeared in all the supermarkets we go to. (Although Winn Dixie still has a few items still available.)

Publix still has bulk candy, it's individually wrapped candy, but still!

I'll go you one better ( OR worse..:eek:) For my 1st ten years of a twenty-nine year career w/a major airline,one in the top five, ( I won't mention it) I was part of a cleaning crew, to come onboard between filights (we usually had 40-45 minutes tops) clean,as best we could, get the trash and depart as boarding started. The flight attendants were standing about mid way in the middle of the plane and as I walked towards them and started to smile and say hello, an AWFULL smell stopped me and I ask her, 'What in the world is that SMELL!!" She frowned, and pointed to the overhead bin and said, 'It's UP there..' She said a woman had a infant with her and had taken a blanket down from the overhead, spread it out on the tray table, changed the baby THEN (AND YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS) CLEANED the baby with said blanket then threw it BACK up in the bin and closed the bin! We immediately got the gate agent to delay boarding as long as he could, got rubber gloves, and got that blanket off the plane then got some disinfectant spray and cleaned the entire bin. The poor flight attendant was almost in tears and said,' ALL I could think about was some poor person using the SAME blanket before we could get if off our plane'. I always tell my wife, it takes ALL kinds in this world, but THIS type of idiot tops the traveling list.:eek:

Mac

OK.....this is getting really fun.....LOL.....my sister was on a plane and was feeling a little sick, so she took the air sick bag out of the pocket. She wanted to be ready so she stuck her hand in the bag to spread it open and yes, you guessed it....someone previously threw up in the bag, folded it back up and put it back in the seat pocket! Needless to say....that bag got a second use!!! EWWWWW! :eek:

The cruise lines already have a lot of "rules" in place for its passengers and what's wrong with a little education on washing your hands on a ship that has anywhere from 2500 - 5500 people?:eek:

Um ... people go on cruises to relax and have fun. Not to be force to watch a video,

and then sign a statement that one watched.

If this were something that people enjoyed, no one would be on ships, they would

be in massive lines to (voluntarily) attend traffic school.